Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

Needing guidance on new MH

Hey All, we have been through the search button more than we can count. We still can't make a decision. We are looking for a used RV, would like to stay under $50K. We do have a little RV experience, we rented a 36 foot C in Pensacola, and drove to washington State. Wife drove it a little.

We are a family of 4. Getting ready to retire and start racing. As such we will be towing a trailer, with tools and car. We could thin out the tools and get the weight down to 5k, maybe. 7,500-10k is more realistic though, especially for the longer trips. On longer trips its very possible that we will have addional people with us to help crew. If we could sleep 8 that would be ideal.

Our requirements and/or desires

Wife:
Must have an oven
Must have a Dinette
really likes the over head bunk
Easy to drive(she will be the primary driver)
Shorter the better to fit into camp sites, parks etc

Myself:
Would like a recliner
Must be able to tow the car/trailer
Must be very cushy(i'm gimpy and need a cushy place to sit)
Low maintenance, we are dragging a race car that seems to suck up that time.
Reliability
7.5k or bigger generator
2x A/C

Kids:
Really like the over the cab bed with a window.
Nice TV
Comfy couches
bed big enough(they are teenagers)

As you can see this is a rather wide list of features. We have been looking for months, driven all over, and have yet to find something that fits our list. I grew up in a diesel repair shop as such I have pretty good advice from my dad and brothers on which to avoid. They are all in agreement that 2007 up diesels are plagued with problems, and I tend to agree after seeing it all first hand(EGR,DPF,DEF...). I think they are beyond our budget anyway.

I just got back from Speedweek at Bonneville, thus the A/C and generator requirements. I'd also like to avoid dark colors, but this is secondary to everything else.

So with that list in hand, we seem to be comming up with diesel pushers in the 2000-2006 range. Super C's in the same range. We looked at a regular C(2008 Coachmen 31SS for $36k) that had a great floor pan, but it had been stored outside and needed $5k of repairs just walking around it. Plus I don't think it would pull the car.

We are thinking about calling on a 2006 Gulf Stream Endura, with a Duramax. Any thoughts on this? I have read that gulf stream isn't the best brand.

We looked at a Monaco locally here a few months back, but it was 40' and tool long. I think we want to be in the 30-36 foot range, and diesel. Hard to find I know. We prefer the Cummins to others, b ut would consider a Cat 3126. NO MAXX FORCE!

If some one could suggest a make and model to look at it would be greatly appreciated.
yellowsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I see you've done your home work and your on the right track. A DP is the way to go and there are some nice ones in that year range '02-'06 and price range. Look for a 34' to 36' they'll be to ones to haul the weight your talking. Look for a 350hp if you can. It might be hard to find the overhead bunk in that year range but what about double bunks. When i was shopping I came across several with that set up in a slide.

A super C would be nice but not in your price range I've shopped for used ones myself. If you haven't already used RVtrader thats how i narrowed my choices and saw what was available. Search by year and price, find the floorpan you like with the engine chassis you want. Its a great site to search and change up your settings with "what if".

As for later models 2008 and up, I would consider the cummins DEF set up, in my experience they have a good system. I run 150 buses with 30 cummins and the rest navistar 7.3l, 6.0l and the famous maxx force;-( enough said.

Found this link 12 Must See RV Bunkhouse Floorplans |General RV Center
good luck in your search.
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I think you could consider looking at a Super C. Generally DP do not have a lot of sleeping places.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
Well I see you've done your home work and your on the right track. A DP is the way to go and there are some nice ones in that year range '02-'06 and price range. Look for a 34' to 36' they'll be to ones to haul the weight your talking. Look for a 350hp if you can. It might be hard to find the overhead bunk in that year range but what about double bunks. When i was shopping I came across several with that set up in a slide.

A super C would be nice but not in your price range I've shopped for used ones myself. If you haven't already used RVtrader thats how i narrowed my choices and saw what was available. Search by year and price, find the floorpan you like with the engine chassis you want. Its a great site to search and change up your settings with "what if".

As for later models 2008 and up, I would consider the cummins DEF set up, in my experience they have a good system. I run 150 buses with 30 cummins and the rest navistar 7.3l, 6.0l and the famous maxx force;-( enough said.

Found this link 12 Must See RV Bunkhouse Floorplans |General RV Center
good luck in your search.
Thanks I'll check out that link. We have found a few Super C diesels in our price range, there is alot of seller out there with dream prices, but reality is another thing!

We have been looking on RV trader, but haven't got it narrowed down too much. It seems like every thing we like in a floor plan is 08-newer, but then we are looking at the V10, which we don't particularly care for. We would buy one if everything else was perfect. We thought we were there yesterday. We found one two miles from our house, the inside was perfect for us, but it had been strored outside, so all the widow seals were shrunk, the tires were shot, and a 5k hitch and 4k generator.

Honestly I'd love to find one with a blown engine and swap in a 12 cummins and go to racing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I think you could consider looking at a Super C. Generally DP do not have a lot of sleeping places.
Thats where we are currently. Super C has the sleeping space, but not the HP or GCVW of the A, plus finding one in our budget is challenging, but they are out there. Just havent found the right one.

How does the 06ish Kodiak drive vs an 02 Monaco?
Old 08-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

Trailer alone is gonna dictate the DP you will need. 40 ft. Bunk house Your price range is a little low for what your needs really are. Keep looking.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Trailer alone is gonna dictate the DP you will need. 40 ft. Bunk house Your price range is a little low for what your needs really are. Keep looking.
I agree! We have found a few that are really close this evening.

Here is one we just missed

2007 Gulf Stream YELLOWSTONE 6341 Bunk , Fountain Hills AZ - - RVtrader.com
Old 08-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Go to RVTrader.com. They have the best site for finding exactly what you want!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #8

Being a Western RV Alpine Coach owner I will admit bias. Spend some time on the Alpine Owner Forum, you will find that they (we) swear that it is the best handling coach on the road. Regardless of which used RV you buy, remember the sale price is only part of what it will actually cost. Expect, plan on having to do some work. Just made sure all the big ticket items are in good shape before putting money down. If not sure about something, this is the place to as the questions. Hope you find just the right RV.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:05 PM   #9

As somebody with no desire to own a diesel I will tell you to buy one. The gas V-10 will not suit your requirements. Consider adding camping beds to your trailer as an alternative. Most A's will sleep 4 if you use the couch and dinette. PITA but it works. You might find a cot or air pad and sleeping bags work better for the kids. Especially if you can get a mid door A.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #10

I race about 30000 miles a year with a class C with a V10 and up graded to a class A pusher with a 3126 cat in it and have not looked back we tow about 6500 lbs did not realize how hard we were pushing the V10 till we got into the DP maybe a roof air in the race trailer for the crew
Boat wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #11

that super c your looking at is very nice...when we got our first DP it was a '97 london aire and 34g.. 350 isc engine and every system works..tires good.. just traded in and of course its not a cash price but has lots of damage as ive stated in other threads..and 32g tade in....lots of good coaches from '98 to '01 in that range..jjust have to look carefull and system good..we bought from dealer so they did pdi and fixed anything
Old 08-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replys and information.

We found a couple 02ish Monacos that might fit the bill. Still looking!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #13

The search is over!

We ended up with a 02 National Tradewinds 330hp Cat, 6 speed allison, air ride(with kneel). Two A/cs and everything else on the list minus the oven. Of course it needs a little TLC but we have 4,000 miles on it and we are loving it. Hills are no problem, even in the mountains of northern Arizona, Georgia and Tennessee have been no issue with the cruise set on 65mph. The jake is integrated with the trans and cruise and makes it a pleasure to drive. I have driven a wide variety of diesel pusher A's, but it would be hard to beat the ride, and ease of driving. Even the Mrs drives it, one finger on the wheel!

The 55 degree wheel cut while not on our list is a huge benfit. I can get this thing in any where.

Thanks All for the advice!
Old 10-23-2016, 09:10 AM   #14

Congrats!