Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #15

I agree with know the market value in advance, and leave emotion out of it. I do not agree with making a lowball offer or 'it doesn't hurt to ask' because sometimes it does. If the unit is priced above market value there's nothing wrong with politely providing evidence of that to the seller but otherwise lowball offers will signal to the seller that you aren't really serious, or that you may be more trouble to deal with than the deal is worth. If the seller is desperate or the unit is in need of serious repair, etc., it may work... but if you are looking at a desirable rig then there will be other buyers and if you want the unit it's best to start with a fair offer. That's where you will probably end up anyway and it saves you looking like a jerk.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedicttw View Post
I have heard of people purchasing a unit on line from a dealer out of state. depending on your state the sales tax can make a big differance is buying in or out of state.

If you can knock 5 to 10k off the price by buying out of state you can fly there and drive the unit home.

Good luck!!!!!
Don't you have to pay the sales tax of your state when you register it there?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
Don't you have to pay the sales tax of your state when you register it there?
See post # 10.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
See post # 10.
From post #10:

However, here's where it gets tricky. Depending on where you live, your state's motor vehicle agency may require you to provide a receipt showing the sales tax you paid. If it's less than what you would have paid in your home state, you may have to pay the difference in order to get your license plates or title your car.

Which is true. Most states will insist that you end up paying your resident sales tax rate, one way or the other. Buying out-of-state will usually not save you any tax, unless you resort to some sort of subterfuge.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #19

I was reading advertisments in Motorhome about using Montana laws to avoid paying sales tax? I'm assuming that you'll need a Montana LLC but I'm not at that point right now - anyone know about those ads?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #20

A lot of good info here. I am looking to buy a used motorhome and depending on what I buy I may need to finance it through the local Credit Union.

While I was in there talking to them about interest rates, and length of term, etc. They informed me that if I provided them with the VIN number they would provide me with the NADA pricing.

So you might want to check with one of your local financial institutions to see if they could offer you the same service.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
You can search at the top of the page for that topic. States are getting more agressive in tracking down tax cheats. It would not be my choice, I enjoy sleeping with both eyes closed.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #22

When we bought our DP as a bank 'repo' the bank was asking $125K and book at that time was $149K. We offered $69K and they settled for $80K. It was late in the year, almost winter here, and they were out of state. I am sure that they did not want to hold it for one more year. It had a couple minor issues but nothing that was not easily fixed.
Look around as there are some really good deals out there.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #23
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
All states handle sales tax differently. Some charge out of state buyers sales tax, some don't.

Some states give credit for out of state sales tax paid, some don't.

There's no standard rule.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Good points here !
Tremendous buyers market with these items -
a hiccup in the middle east or the wrong election results and fuel prices will double...

As stated - know what you want - find it elsewhere and get them to match it -
(on edit - these guys are marking them down www.mhsrv.com )
give time to compare BEFORE you buy - and
never say THIS is NICE !!! in front of the salesmen ! I have to reign in the DW every time we go to get something she wants as she is such a sweet person she blurts it out everytime
always show 'studied disinterest / indifference' and say
'we may get it if you can do better with ...'

like extended warranty or mant. or sat system or whatever options you may want in the future... they can give it to you at cost at that point !

but in the end, if you are comfortable with the price and unit and promise not to compare after the fact, go for it !!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
When we bought our DP as a bank 'repo' the bank was asking $125K and book at that time was $149K. We offered $69K and they settled for $80K. It was late in the year, almost winter here, and they were out of state. I am sure that they did not want to hold it for one more year. It had a couple minor issues but nothing that was not easily fixed.
Look around as there are some really good deals out there.
Sounds like you got a sweet deal.

Just curious but where did you find the bank repo?

Did you purchase it outright or did the bank arrange for financing?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theluckys View Post
Sounds like you got a sweet deal.

Just curious but where did you find the bank repo?

Did you purchase it outright or did the bank arrange for financing?
A friend attends these auctions on a regular basis. We went through a credit union here that we belong to.
Yes we did get a very good deal, and have enjoyed it a lot.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #27

We purchased our 2003 pace arrow at a local repo auction. Based on research before the auction we determined the value to be about $75k. We were the high bidder at 45k. Outbid the local Camp World dealer. Find a local repo auction and check on a regular bases what they have on the lot. Many have web sites with the items listed.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by benedicttw View Post
We purchased our 2003 pace arrow at a local repo auction. Based on research before the auction we determined the value to be about $75k. We were the high bidder at 45k. Outbid the local Camp World dealer. Find a local repo auction and check on a regular bases what they have on the lot. Many have web sites with the items listed.
Keep in mind when you buy at auction, what you see is what you get. There are some good deals to be had but once you buy the is no recourse, all units come with a 50/50 warranty (if it breaks both halfs are yours).

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote