Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Negotiating a Deal

Headed towards full-timing. Likely Class A DP. Doing a lot of research into best choices for quality versus cost. Don't see a lot on negotiating that first deal. Curious...how much do you offer below MSRP? What I see on pricing versus a guess at dealer cost suggests this may be worse than buying a used car. We're sure on our choice but want to make a smart purchase.

PS this site has a lot of folks providing great insight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
There's usually lots of room for negotiation. In today's market, with fuel prices as they are, dealers have lots of unsold inventory. It is a buyer's market. If you can't get +20% off list price, walk and listen to the numbers being tossed out as you leave. Remember, it costs them money every day the unit sits on their lot. Be a tough negotiator and hold firm, don't fall in love with something that can't love you back. Don't let the dealer 'guilt' you into a deal that doesn't sit right.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #3

I was a full 34% below list. We purchased a 2010 model in 2011 about 2 months before the 2012 models were coming out. The unit sat on their lot for 19 months already.

There are deals to be had. :-)
Old 09-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks to both respondents. My sense was 20-35%. I crossed a several sites on line, but can't find again, but it had Phaeton QBH 40 DP MSRP of 276K and prices ranged from 199 - 225K.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Negotiating is something you need to prepare for. First do exactly as you have done and research the coaches your interested in. The second thing is research the asking / selling prices for the coaches your interested in. What is a fair price?

If buying new then your research will be easier. I used the Internet and a dealer who sells a lot of units off the Internet to get a much better price on the same unit from my local dealer. I had to print the online dealers e-mail offer and to provide it to my local dealer. The local dealer called the online dealer and then got back to me later in the day matching the online dealer price, which was 35% off MSRP.

If buying used look all over the country for your coach. Here are some questions you could ask to help you negotiate.

1. What are you asking for your coach? and follow that up with what is the lowest you will take?

2. Act surprised when the owner / dealer states the price. If your research has identified a lower price on a similar or identical coach, let the owner know.

3. Leave your emotion in your car. When negotiating with the owner, they will focus on the positives so don't help them by saying things like:

- I really like the floor plan!
- It's in great shape!
- Beautiful paint.
- Best looking one so far.

4. You focus on the negatives / not so positives, but don't be unreasonable. Things like:
- I'll need to repair / modify this or that and the cost will be.....
- That's not quite what we were looking for.
- How old are the tires (used coach) Tires after 6 to 8 yr's are toast.

Last but not least the owner has to believe that you are willing to walk away if you don't get your price. When you walk away let them know that you are going to buy a n RV and if they decide at a later time to sell it at your price to give you a call. If you haven't already purchased one you will come back and take another look.

Good Luck
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #6

PS this site has a lot of folks providing great insight.[/QUOTE]
That's why we're here.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #7

I have been negotiating for large priced items for over 20yrs. The best thing as said before is to do your research. Know what you want, what you don't need and what appears to be a fair price. You have to have zero emotions. When you have an emotional tie you will spend to much money. If you feel the price is to high let the dealer know.

One approach that has worked for me in the past when purchasing a car is to tell the dealer to give me his best price. If they ask you what you are willing to pay give them a crazy number. If the unit is listed for $200k I would tell them $125. They may not like it but why is it your responsibility to give them a number that they maybe ok with. Remember you are there to get the best price not to be their friend. They are after the highest price and don't mind charging you if they can.

Once you have their "best price" say that it is not as good as you thought they could do and leave. When they try to stop you say "I thought that was your best price" Do not buy on the day you are negotiating. The chance of the unit being sold out from under you is slim. Always leave to do a personnel check on where the price is at and to allow them time to think about how bad they want to sell the unit.

Time is one of the best ways to get what you want in a negotiation. The dealer wants to move the unit so time is more important to him.

I have heard of people purchasing a unit on line from a dealer out of state. depending on your state the sales tax can make a big differance is buying in or out of state.

If you can knock 5 to 10k off the price by buying out of state you can fly there and drive the unit home.

Good luck!!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
After some negotiation, the dealer's sales gal offered the dealers last, best and final offer which was a certain percentage off MSRP.

She stated the decision makers said "don't ask for a better deal, as this is our lowest price".

I stated that their best price was equal to other dealers (which it was) and I said "give me another 1/2% off MSRP and I'll buy".

She checked and they said OK.

So....... it never hurts to ask.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
After some negotiation, the dealer's sales gal offered the dealers last, best and final offer which was a certain percentage off MSRP.

She stated the decision makers said "don't ask for a better deal, as this is our lowest price".

I stated that their best price was equal to other dealers (which it was) and I said "give me another 1/2% off MSRP and I'll buy".

She checked and they said OK.

So....... it never hurts to ask.

that is one of my rules. Always ask. If you don't you may be paying more than you should. If you do ask the worst that can happen is they say no...
Old 09-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by benedicttw View Post

I have heard of people purchasing a unit on line from a dealer out of state. depending on your state the sales tax can make a big differance is buying in or out of state.

If you can knock 5 to 10k off the price by buying out of state you can fly there and drive the unit home.
According to DMV Answers - Solutions to Daily Department of Motor Vehicle Questions and Problems

"You will pay the sales tax based on wherever the car was bought. So, for example, if you live in Ohio but buy your car in Pennsylvania, you will pay the Pennsylvania sales tax rate. This applies to both new car and used car purchases.

However, here's where it gets tricky. Depending on where you live, your state's motor vehicle agency may require you to provide a receipt showing the sales tax you paid. If it's less than what you would have paid in your home state, you may have to pay the difference in order to get your license plates or title your car.

Keep in mind that sales tax can differ by state, county, and city. You should always calculate the sales tax on your car purchase as it can make a significant difference. If you're unsure about the prevailing tax rates, call the dealer and ask for this information."

The most fun I ever had at a auto dealer was negotiating for young, inexperienced teachers buying their first car. I had no dog in the hunt and I could play hardball and get them better deals than they thought possible.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62_inrightlane View Post
Negotiating is something you need to prepare for. First do exactly as you have done and research the coaches your interested in. The second thing is research the asking / selling prices for the coaches your interested in. What is a fair price?

If buying new then your research will be easier. I used the Internet and a dealer who sells a lot of units off the Internet to get a much better price on the same unit from my local dealer. I had to print the online dealers e-mail offer and to provide it to my local dealer. The local dealer called the online dealer and then got back to me later in the day matching the online dealer price, which was 35% off MSRP.

If buying used look all over the country for your coach. Here are some questions you could ask to help you negotiate.

1. What are you asking for your coach? and follow that up with what is the lowest you will take?

2. Act surprised when the owner / dealer states the price. If your research has identified a lower price on a similar or identical coach, let the owner know.

3. Leave your emotion in your car. When negotiating with the owner, they will focus on the positives so don't help them by saying things like:

- I really like the floor plan!
- It's in great shape!
- Beautiful paint.
- Best looking one so far.

4. You focus on the negatives / not so positives, but don't be unreasonable. Things like:
- I'll need to repair / modify this or that and the cost will be.....
- That's not quite what we were looking for.
- How old are the tires (used coach) Tires after 6 to 8 yr's are toast.

Last but not least the owner has to believe that you are willing to walk away if you don't get your price. When you walk away let them know that you are going to buy a n RV and if they decide at a later time to sell it at your price to give you a call. If you haven't already purchased one you will come back and take another look.

Good Luck
Let me add something to my above list. It's called the nibble.

Once you get to a fair price in your mind and your about to say DEAL to the dealer. Tell him deal as long as they will throw in one, two or more of the things below? If they refuse then your still happy with the deal and if they do then your really happy!
  1. The tow bar and base plate?
  2. A few free oil changes.
  3. Winterization for the first few years?
  4. Camping World or their RV store gift card?
  5. Anything you think you'll need after your purchase.
I've found the nibble to work most of the time. Service items are the easiest for them to throw in and it will save you some additional bucks.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, welcome to the forum. Lots of good suggestions above.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #13

Lots of good advice here. I think all I can add is to keep it fun. Remember, even if you pay a little too much the sun will still come up tomorrow and, if you and your family are still moving on the green side of the grass everything else can fall in place.

We recently sold a Class A motorhome. The unit was priced much higher than NADA low retail as that is what the market was paying for this particular model and year in our area. You would be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't) at the number of buyers (lookers) who would argue when I told them our price. Rather than walk away, they would take it personal and try to argue. A couple got so obnoxious that, when asked what my best price was, I added $5,000 to the initial asking price. The point is, it is not personal. If the seller won't sell in the range you wish to pay, walk away. BTW, we sold our unit in two weeks for our asking price.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Lots of good advice here. I think all I can add is to keep it fun. Remember, even if you pay a little too much the sun will still come up tomorrow and, if you and your family are still moving on the green side of the grass everything else can fall in place.

We recently sold a Class A motorhome. The unit was priced much higher than NADA low retail as that is what the market was paying for this particular model and year in our area. You would be amazed (or maybe you wouldn't) at the number of buyers (lookers) who would argue when I told them our price. Rather than walk away, they would take it personal and try to argue. A couple got so obnoxious that, when asked what my best price was, I added $5,000 to the initial asking price. The point is, it is not personal. If the seller won't sell in the range you wish to pay, walk away. BTW, we sold our unit in two weeks for our asking price.

.great input. the value is what someone is willing to pay.

And Yes alway have fun and laugh. blows people away when you approach negotiations this way.