Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #1

Never accept MSRP on new RV - How about used?

I know that dealers mark up new RV's 25%-35+% and you can get a better price with negotiating. What about a newer 2018 models that have already been "marked down" due to new model year inventory coming in. anyone have success with additional discounts?
Jbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #2

MHSRV in DFW area has some ‘18s for 40% off MSRP
Contrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:46 PM   #3

I’ve negotiated the “marked down” price by additional 7-8%. But it still put me about 31% off MSRP.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
It depends on the Manufacturer some give there dealers a higher margin to work with which makes you think your getting a better deal. Its all a numbers game...
Sicduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

Always negotiate. All they can say is "sorry, that's the lowest we can go --we make no profit if we go lower" which is almost always not true. Walk out the door and see what happens. Most of the time, if they think you're serious about that particular unit, they will catch you before you leave the property and ask you "ok, what will it take... " blah, blah, blah.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A "that's not changing" asking price came down $15k a week after I told a salesman "Thanks, but that's out of my set price range". 3 days later, I was contacted by the sales manager saying they could come a bit closer to that price range.

The price is ALWAYS negotiable.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #7

Used price is always an asking price so it is always negotiable. There is no such thing as a "manufacturer's suggested retail price" for something that is used.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

I am not an experienced RV buyer (or owner yet) but after working in the automotive industry for about 5 years I believe I am much more knowledgeable when making any large purchase now.
On used... best thing to do is look up what the loan value is through NADA or KBB or the like for RV's. We did this and found the dealership had marked up the used unit we were looking at by over 150%!!! Seriously, the coach was valued at just over $11,300 and their first price was at $31,799. It was slashed and $29,995 was entered as the "markdown". We have our own financing but the bank will only do a particular percentage over value. When we gave the bank the vin # and options, they let us know what the loan value was as well as the actual value of the RV. I was appalled that they were truly trying to sell for so much over value. When we told them we knew the value of the RV they came way down on the price. We did not and are not buying that unit. That among a few other things turned us off of that dealership getting any of our business. They still call my husband to try and sweeten the deal. It is now to the point where we think there may even be serious issues with the RV. (On top of the fact that they wouldn't allow us to have it inspected by an independent inspector)...
At any rate, check the value- let the dealership know you will only pay xxx and then yes, walk away. They will either call you to accept, or counteroffer, or you won't hear from them because even they have more money in it than the value. What that means is that they will have to find someone to buy it that has no knowledge of value but can be approved for the loan regardless of their carrying costs and that person will probably have to be willing to go through the dealership financing for that. An actual bank is not going to loan but so much over value (to give room for trade-in inequity, extended service contracts, and yes, they will allow dealerships to make some profit).
Good Luck!
Luv2CUSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The problem with "book value" is that the book on RVs is barely an estimate. There is no nationwide system of sales reporting to establish market pricing for RVs . No dealer tells anybody what he actually sold for, and there are few RV auctions to establish a wholesale price for the numerous makes & models and options in which Rvs are configured. You can't use NADA or Kelly prices for more than an approximation of the real market price.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thank you for that info, Luv2CUSmile. I see, to get a loan value on NADA it's a subcription that costs $205/yr. Is there another, less expensive, way to find a used RV loan value or should I just go to my bank with the VIN# & let them tell me the value?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
MSRP on most any brand is always Double what the dealer pays.

Another type of unit the dealers want rid of is the one on the lot for a longer period of time.

On a trailer look at the Vin sticker for the MFG date.
on a RV look at the chassis MFG sticker it will show it as well.

if it is a 2018 and that sticker says Aug 2017 THEY will WANT to SELL.
The longer on the lot the longer they have had to make payments on it.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #12

NADA Guidelines is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Thank you for that info, Luv2CUSmile. I see, to get a loan value on NADA it's a subcription that costs $205/yr. Is there another, less expensive, way to find a used RV loan value or should I just go to my bank with the VIN# & let them tell me the value?

Lori-
Lori. I have been using NADA guidelines. It is free. I least i thought so anyway. I better now get a bill. https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs
Old 12-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
MSRP on most any brand is always Double what the dealer pays.

Another type of unit the dealers want rid of is the one on the lot for a longer period of time.

On a trailer look at the Vin sticker for the MFG date.
on a RV look at the chassis MFG sticker it will show it as well.

if it is a 2018 and that sticker says Aug 2017 THEY will WANT to SELL.
The longer on the lot the longer they have had to make payments on it.
Thank it a great callout. I will check on the sticker. I have heard from others to request the actual coach sticker if it is not on the unit already. I hear that is not always easy to obtain as it should be.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:03 PM   #14

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs
Try this link. It should be free?