Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Never Fail mousetrap catches multiple mice at a time

Okay, I know I'm gonna get some giggles and comments over this one, but it's CHEAP and EASY to make, and it WORKS !!!!!!!! Set one or two near your RV and they won't be living inside it any more.

Drill two holes across from each other just below the top of a 5 gallon bucket, cut a piece of any round rod to fit past the holes, use an empty T-P roll or chunk of a paper towel roll, slide it on the round rod. Put about a gallon of water in the bucket. Smear some peanut butter on the end farthest away from the ramp (I made it easier for the mice to get to it). They smell food and water and cannot resist. The cardboard tube rolls, takes them by surprise, and they cannot react in time and fall into the bucket where they drown since the sides are straight up and they can't climb out or get traction to jump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0178.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	308.2 KB
ID:	39852  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
How many mice have you caught that way?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

I set up my first one two nights ago, got two packrats the first night, then a standard mouse last night.

I made three more traps today and am going to set them near my house and woodpile.

I have had enough and am declaring war on them.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I build a similar trap. I use a pill bottle on a coat hanger wire. peanut butter and bacon grease. I some time bury the bucket with only a inch or so above the ground. Have caught 100s of mice and a few snakes.
Just remember not to "kick the bucket" or step in it!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here in the great Northwet we use a saucer with beer in it to trap and kill the slugs!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #6

Do you put these around your unit or where should you put to ensure they do not get into your unit?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #7

This is a funny coincidence, a friend told me about this technique last weekend, he referred to it as the "Alaskan" mouse trap. We are on an acreage so we are always dealing with the pesks.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We got a mouse in our Rv before the current Mh. I used the exact same trap as you describe. One night was all it took and the bugger was dead. My wife thought it was cruel I, on the other hand, thought it was great!!!

I'm not sure I'd place them around the Mh though. I would be afraid of actually attracting more than there are. I would put them inside the Rv. That way if you had an intrusion, you'd get rid of them right away.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #9

Their sense of smell is so keen, a trap similar to this set near the rig will draw them. I ended up putting one inside my MH because it sat for 7 years before I got it and I need to evict every last one. Also setting one up outside to keep any more from taking up residence.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #10

This is a fantastic mousetrap. We took our new to us out for its shakedown cruise two months ago and woke up the first morning to shredded toilet paper in my heating vents. Tried all day to locate the mouse and finally found it in its nest in the front over the generator. I used a traditional trap with peanut Butter and caught it in an hour. It was very healthy and had obviously been eating the prior owner food.

I may set one of these up next to my RV in the storage yard! Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Besides mice and pack rats, this will kill thousands of yellow jackets. You just need to put a little dish soap in the water. They get full eating the peanut butter (we use hot dogs) and when they fly they drop a few inches... hit the water and their toast.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:01 AM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
Besides mice and pack rats, this will kill thousands of yellow jackets. You just need to put a little dish soap in the water. They get full eating the peanut butter (we use hot dogs) and when they fly they drop a few inches... hit the water and their toast.

We like uncooked bacon or fat hamburger and a few drops of oil on the water. Over a bucket is a great idea. We make a tri-pod and hand the meat very close to the water.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We keep some stray cats roaming the area, which has worked for us along with Fresh Cab in the basement.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #14

Fresh cab?