Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #1

New 6 volt batteries,

Just bought 2 new golf cart batteries at Costco. The ones being replaced are 5 years old, seem to do an adequate job,
Would it harm the new batteries if I added the old batteries to the RV, so I would have four batteries for boondocking?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #2

It is never advised to connect batteries of different ages together. The only way to use the 5 year old batteries, is to keep them electrically isolated from the new batteries (probably more trouble than it is worth). Sorry to deliver the bad news to you.

gruelens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:22 AM   #3

Ok , thanks, will just use the new ones
Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now, hold on.

No, the new batteries should not be mixed with old in a 2 battery bank...but if I read right, you want to double the banks from1 to 2 for boondocking - right?

This can and is done all the time, because there is no need to toss batteries that still work.

BUT you must avoid simply wiring the old bank of cells with the new. You should use a selector/separator switch and use a separate charger when on shore power.

This way you can run on bank 1, then switch to bank 2, then back and forth...each cycle will allow the cells to recover and will more than double the overall available power

All this can be found on the web with diagrams - just do a search for boondocking power and similar topics.

If you want to buy 4 new batteries - great - but it is not required.

And BTW, did you know Costco has an awesome return warantee on batteries...full replacement (not prorated) during covered period! Doesn't get better than that. You can spend more for batteries, but you will not get a better deal!

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:05 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, I like to say "There are no six volt batteries in RVs" (This is because the two six volt in series become one big 12 volt battery).

How this applies here.

Treat each pair (new and old) as one battery, So now we are asking can I hook an older 12 volt battery in parallel with a new one?

The answer is yes.

However... Depending on how the old one fails, when it fails, it may do damage.. There are basically 3 failure modes

One: Loss of capacity.. You may not even notice this.. I have one battery now that is like that (Sadly it's my starting battery, 90 bucks to replace it)

Two: High resistance (Likewise you wont notice that either save as lowered capacity)

Three: Shorted cell... This is the one that does damage.. I've got one like that too, (it is isolated so no damage is being caused,, That one is going to be even more expensive.. in fact I have a question for you.

I know Sam's sells GC-2 for 84.52 each.. How much were your Costco batteries?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
One of these will allow you to use two battery banks m-Series - Blue Sea Systems
Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

Costco- $87.99
I will look at the battery selector switch.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:13 PM   #8

Scarab & Shadow have it right...you CAN use that old pair as a single 12V battery without damaging your NEW 12V (6+6) battery IF you isolate them with the switch into two banks. NOTE that you never want to use them in the combined position (1+2) for any extended time...AND you will need to CHARGE each bank separately as well as use them separately...so the charger gets wired to the switch as well.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 PM   #9

"And BTW, did you know Costco has an awesome return warantee on batteries...full replacement (not prorated) during covered period! Doesn't get better than that. You can spend more for batteries, but you will not get a better deal!"

Well Sir,
Not sure about your Costco but, ours is not all that good on the return of the Golf cart batteries. Back when I converted our house batteries from (3) 12V junk Interstate units to, (4) Costco Golf Cart batteries, I was challenged on my answer to the warranty issue I stated. And that was,

1-6 months, full replacement
7-8 months, 35% (refund)
9-10 months, 15%
10-12 months, 5%

Well, that sparked a small battle about what the actual replacement was. One of the members said I was wrong and that it was a full year on free replacement. I went out and looked at mine, I came back and reported, just what you see above. He said, I was wrong.

Well, I finally took a picture and posted it which, shows right on the top of the batteries I bought, the warranty replacement schedule. He came back and said, Hmmmmm, that's odd. He posted a picture of the Costco batteries he just bought. Sure as heck, it was a different warranty than the Costco ones I just bought. His showed a full year for free replacement. And, they had the "Interstate" brand on them. Where as mine were some basic generic 6-volt Golf cart battery.

Anyway, to the OP, sorry about off track stuff here. I guess it pertains to the original subject.

If you look at the picture below, you'll see the warranty schedule on the top of the battery.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well...there is no disputing that sticker photo. I will have to do some research on why I got a free replacement at 11 months.

Maybe I just lucked out.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rather than spend money on a switch and wiring it, switching banks and so on......just spend the money or two more batteries and have your four battery bank!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the price, that is close enough to Sam's that I'd rather shop Costco.

As to the warranty, that is set, in part by the battery maker, Costco (Sams too) buys from several different makers, Johnson Controls, US Battery and others... So it is very possible to get two different warrranties on the same catalog number. It may depend on the address of the store you buy from.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:33 AM   #13

For the hassle and cost I think I will go with two more batteries!
Thanks for all the replies!