Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 AM   #1

New A/C Unit Compatability With Old (1996) Intellitec Control System

I've identified the cause of no cooling to a complete loss of refrigerant in my 14 year old Coleman roof A/C unit. And replacement, rather than repair, has been the consensus of advice that I've been given.

Is the new Coleman 15,000BTU A/C fully compatible with my 1996 vintage Intellitec Electronic Climate Control (ECC) system? Neither of my 1996 version Coleman A/C units have any controls/knobs on them. No knobs, nothing at all, except a small label that says "Coleman Remote Control". Both A/C units are fully controlled by the Intellitec ECC system panel, located in the bedroom.

The new Coleman 15,000BTU A/C unit has controls/knobs on it. How do these new A/C units work on an older Intellitec system, when I'm replacing an A/C unit that has NO controls/knobs on it with a new A/C unit that HAS controls/knobs on it? It would seem that they are not compatible. For example, if I select "low fan" on the Intellitec control panel. What do I do with the controls/knobs on the A/C unit itself? Same with the thermostat setting. If I have the Intellitec control panel thermostat all the way down to low cool, what happens if the thermostat setting knob on the A/C unit itself is set to some other setting?

I guess my question boils down to this: How do the two separate sets of A/C controls/knobs work together? It seems to me that one, or the other, must take priority to actually control the A/C unit.

Has anybody actually done this type of A/C replacement already? How does it work???

Thanks, Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Tom, you will not be able to use a mechanically controlled air conditioner on an electrical controller. Have you already purchased the new air conditioner? If not you should do a little research and find a unit that is compatible with the intellitec climate control. I think this is a doable match.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnorman457 View Post
Is the new Coleman 15,000BTU A/C fully compatible with my 1996 vintage Intellitec Electronic Climate Control (ECC) system? Neither of my 1996 version Coleman A/C units have any controls/knobs on them. No knobs, nothing at all, except a small label that says "Coleman Remote Control". Both A/C units are fully controlled by the Intellitec ECC system panel, located in the bedroom.

Thanks, Tom
Seems like Coleman Technical support could help out here.... surely there is some sort of backward compatibility between Coleman units. Or if worse come to worse, they should be able to help you determine that you have the wrong unit.

Ok I may be dreaming but give Coleman Technical support a call.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #4

We just had the front Coleman 13.5 A/C unit replaced on our 1996 38Z. The compressor refrigerant lines were badly rusted and had sprung a leak, and even the compressor itself was badly rusted. Not worth fixing such an old A/C unit. We have "non-ducted" Coleman A/C units, controlled by the Intellitec Electronic Climate Control system. Here are the replacement part numbers:

Coleman Mach 15 A/C unit, #48204 63140

Coleman "Cool-Only" Control Package, #8330-752 65346

Coleman Plenum, inside ceiling unit, non-ducted, 9330E4552 65344 (you will need a different inside ceiling plenum, and your part number will be different, if you have "ducted" A/C units)

The new Coleman Mach 15 unit works great, and puts out LOTS of cold air. Our only problem is that the new A/C unit plenum, inside ceiling unit, has a different "footprint" than the old A/C unit. The new Mach 15 has a smaller "footprint", so we have a rather dark outline of the old Coleman 13.5 inside ceiling unit imprinted into our living room ceiling. Fleetwood put that ridiculous carpet-like ceiling material in our Bounder, and it's virtually impossible to keep clean. (What were they thinking?) Nothing that we have tried so far has made even a dent into removing that dark outline on the ceiling.

Tom