Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Coach Battery

- Been a member here for several years. We’re driving a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32v on Ford F53 Chassis. I have gleaned many helpful insights from this group. This is my first post
- After 5 years, I am replacing two 12v RV marine coach batteries with 860 cca and 165 min reserve capacity at 25amps wired in parallel. With an estimated 100amp hours each, these have served me well.
- I am pretty much decided on Trojan T-1275 deep cycle 12 volt (2 batteries in parallel) with 150 amp hours (20hr Rate). This gives me 300 amp hours (with 2 batteries in parallel) which I understand would be more than many 6 volt battery setups in series.
- We do mostly plugged-in overnights with only minimal boon-docking. I have heard it is not good for a deep cycle to recharge after only a minimal “draw-down”, so I wonder if I would be better not go with such a deep cycle, but rather the standard RV Marine battery. The dollars are very close for me and I understand the Trojan T-1275 to be a good heavy duty plate golf cart battery.
- Any comments welcomed. Thanks!

2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32v
on 2001 Ford F53 Chassis
2007 Jeep Liberty Lattitude in tow
bwcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
I spent maybe 40hoursresearching the sameissues. Arrived at the conclusion that it is better to have 2 6 volts hooked up and a lot cheaper. Sams sells good ones for 104 dollars

edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #3
To me, you did a good job. Just keep in mind you actually have 150 usable AH, going below 50% begins to shorten battery life.

Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
I spent maybe 40hoursresearching the sameissues. Arrived at the conclusion that it is better to have 2 6 volts hooked up and a lot cheaper. Sams sells good ones for 104 dollars
How did you come up with your conclusion? You only have the AH of one battery. You do not multiply AH with 6V batteries, only voltage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #4
I called B&B Industries, inc located in Orient, Ohio about Trojan golf cart batteries (T-105). They sell them for $125.00 a piece. Seems like a good price to me. The T-105's are 6v.

Scott -- Commercial Point, Ohio
2004 Damon UltraSport
Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
soneil422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
I found and I now use batteries from COSTCO. The batteries used by COSTCO are made by Interstate. The 6v Golf Cart batteries (deep cycle) have worked great and I paid less than $90.00 each, much less expensive than what I would have paid from an RV supply or Battery supply. :thumbup:
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would not worry about the effect of small draws & recharge - there are too many other factors that will overshadow that in effect on battery life. A deep cycle will hold up well under any charging regimen - that's their main advantage vs marine or automotive batteries.

But I also wouldn't spend the money on those big Trojans since you say you nearly always have shore power. Why buy more battery amp-hours that you never expect to use? If you want quality deep cycles, you can probably get GC2 golf cart batteries (6v) for less money and still get decent AH rating in case you ever need it. A pair of 6v is about 230 AH. The T1275 is likely to cost you $200 each whereas you should be able to get a GC2 6v for around $100-$120.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Lots of opinions on short and long cycles and that is dependent on the specific battery.

Short cycles will not hurt most batteries but deep cycles will wear ALL batteries and it is worse on startng than to deep cycle.

Do not sweat this...just do a little bit of homework so you have clear expectations then select the battery that meets your needs.

If you plan on shallow discharges a starting battery would work fine but deep cycle would still be best.

Cranking batteries have higher output currents for shorter times.

You can check with the battery manufacturer to confirm what you select will meet your needs.

Simple stuff.

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote