Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
That could be a typo by the dealer...there are no photos of a 4x4 axle in the front and the maker does not list 4x4 as an option.
DX3 | Dynamax - Manufacturer of Luxury Class C & Super C Motorhomes
The Freightliner M2 chassis is available in 4x4, but as an aftermarket fitment.
It may be a typo but they mention 4x4 in three different places in the add. We’ll have to wait and see.

Oh, and I think you are correct about it being aftermarket.
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #16

In the old days, most were aftermarket 4wd, now many manufactures have 4wd chassis. Even Mercedes offers their platform in multiple combinations. You may have to custom order it from the body manufacture to be put on a 4wd chassis, but its only money! LOL! Surprised nobody has asked about fuel mileage yet. As a friend of mine once said, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" LOL!
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is definitely a 4x4.... https://www.mhsrv.com/2020-dynamax-c...ource=irv2.com
Old 09-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #18

Phoenix Cruiser offers 4x4 if your want also.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #19

Did anyone watch the video of Dynamax's newly announced Isata 5 model? 4WD, lithium, solar available as options, and what looks like a killer floorplan.

https://m.facebook.com/DynamaxMotorh...type=2&theater
Old 10-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #20

I have to agree that the Ford 4x4 has been pretty good (I owned fords for 20 years, part of that was with a 4x4 F150).
For a large RV to have 4x4 is a boon to the people that like to get out of places that changed after they arrived, i.e. grass fairground rally or grass anywhere. The people that would use it to get into a spot, like rocky road to the CG or rocky road once in the CG is another plus as long as the owner has their wits about them. There will be people that try to get up to places that high centers their rig
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #21
doc

Appalachian Campers
Scarab0088, I will not tell you Thor/Damon is as bad as jsmmonaco said, but I do have anecdotal evidence that the coach we had is pretty bad. In 2008 we bought a Damon Essence on my wife's birthday. 40 ft Freightliner chassis 425 Cummins engine. Chassis was great and as long as we had it gave very little trouble.
However, the Damon body was not nearly as dependable. From the beginning it was just little things - bus fuse blows, water leak under lavatory in bathroom, leak under kitchen sink water supply. Leak on kitchen drain etc. Took it to get washed and find that nearly all the basement door would not close without leaks around where the gaskets should shut out water. Rear driver side slide would hesitate and stop and have to keep pushing the switch to finally get it out. Radio, GPS and rear camera monitor were all built together. GPS never worked, camera monitor quit completely, radio quit.
Heated mirrors worked sometimes.
Step cover on entry steps quit working about half way down. Could not get out without sliding down to the ground. This happened while we were in S Dakota in late May. We had bought the coach the previous March. 14 months. A call to the factory and some grouchy old lady told me the coach was out of warranty and there was nothing they could do. When I told her the entire step unit was made of steel and there was not way to get into it when it was broken. She said she had to get back to me on that part -she never did.
I could go on for a couple of pages, but you get the picture by now, or maybe not.
So is the body on that new Thor crappy? If it is anything like the Thor/Damon we had, it certainly is. So glad that thing is out of our lives.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Scarab0088, I will not tell you Thor/Damon is as bad as jsmmonaco said, but I do have anecdotal evidence that the coach we had is pretty bad. In 2008 we bought a Damon Essence on my wife's birthday. 40 ft Freightliner chassis 425 Cummins engine. Chassis was great and as long as we had it gave very little trouble.
However... (SIC)
So is the body on that new Thor crappy? If it is anything like the Thor/Damon we had, it certainly is. So glad that thing is out of our lives.
In contrast to your story, our Damon has been flawless for design and reliability, and a fantastic canvas for dozens of upgrades...but these Damon stories have nothing to do with Thor Motor Coach.

TMC has moved to new factories over this decade. The bulk of builds are in what used to be the Monaco plant.

If I was buying new, a TMC would be at the top of my list...including these 4x4 Super C's
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting!

Not to hijack the thread but I noticed that the Tuscany is attempting to play with the big boys. It seems to be a good value with the side radiator, Aqua Hot, Full body paint including the slide sides, and IFS. Maybe TMC will surprise us?
Old 10-05-2019, 08:34 PM   #24

Saw a 2015 Jayco Melbourne 29D 4X4 in a campground in Michigan last week. It was a mean looking machine. All black with red accents. Never saw the owners to talk to them about it. Didn't realize Jayco made one until I saw this one. Maybe that is where Thor got the idea to build one.

Here is a link to one that is for sale.

https://www.smartrvguide.com/L49137960
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
Saw a 2015 Jayco Melbourne 29D 4X4 in a campground in Michigan last week. It was a mean looking machine. All black with red accents. Never saw the owners to talk to them about it. Didn't realize Jayco made one until I saw this one. Maybe that is where Thor got the idea to build one.

Here is a link to one that is for sale.

https://www.smartrvguide.com/L49137960
There has NEVER BEEN a factory 4x4 E-Series. Not in a van, nor a cab-chassis for a Class C.

These are all aftermarket conversions - before or after the RV build.

They are GREAT! But very rare. And there was never a E-550

These F550's in the Super C's are factory built.
The reps in the factory tour videos clearly said buyers demanded it from Thor Motor Coach...not an idea from any competition.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-28-2019, 02:23 PM   #26

DX3 4x4 - Forest River Forums
Jeep_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Life View Post
Another beautiful aftermarket conversion.
Like from: https://www.marmon-herrington.com/awd-conversions

No disrepect...they are BEE-U-TEE-FUL, but not factory offerings...with a conversion price to match.

Thanks
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
There has NEVER BEEN a factory 4x4 E-Series. Not in a van, nor a cab-chassis for a Class C.

These are all aftermarket conversions - before or after the RV build.

They are GREAT! But very rare. And there was never a E-550

These F550's in the Super C's are factory built.
The reps in the factory tour videos clearly said buyers demanded it from Thor Motor Coach...not an idea from any competition.
I've posted this info before, but there is an outfit in Asheville named Ujoint that does 4x4 conversions on anything built on a Ford E-series chassis. From vans, to step vans to motorhomes. They do new motorhome conversions for dealers in the NE on a pretty consistent basis. For anyone interested you can visit their website at ujoint.com and view many of their finished products. I have no affiliation whatsoever with Ujoint.

I would think you could pick the brand and model of C class that appeals to you and either have Ujoint do the conversion, or talk to Chris at ujoint and ask him which dwalers he has worked with in the past. He just finished one that was being shipped to the mid east.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome