Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer,your statements about "who needs it" hit the nail right square on the head. We live in a country who's economy is based on supply and demand. RV manufacturers survive and thrive because they are supplying what we as consumers are demanding. Ford and Detroit Chassis would not be changing and upgrading if consumers hadn't demanded it. In a capitalist economy only the strong survive! Workhorse raised the bar and Ford and Detroit Chassis had to respond by upgrading or they would eventually have had to get out of the RV business. We benefit from the refinements and improvements manufacturers make to stay in demand by the consumers. It's a great time to be an RV'er.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2005, 03:30 PM   #30
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Easyrider:
It's a great time to be an RV'er. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
well guys.....I began this conversation on Dec 4. Many of you have had interesting comments.....but I have yet to hear of anyone who has seen or test driven the new Ford w/ 5-speed.....given the amount of stale stock many dealers have, I guess it may be spring before we see one.....
Old 01-16-2005, 05:00 PM   #32
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mjoemort:
well guys.....I began this conversation on Dec 4. Many of you have had interesting comments <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I am pretty sure that some dealers may have 05 F53s on their lots by now. Down here at the Florida State Fairgrounds, Ford showed up with 4 "wrapped" F53s and as far as I can tell they were simply set up as F53 billboards, each decrying "Is your motorhome built Ford Tough" and the big bold print about their 362 HP rating on the 30 valve V-10.

Have you ever seen a Cadillac sitting on pedestal in the middle of a lake at a PGA event? Well Ford did the same thing here. All of Detroit Chassis' focus right now and their public relations materials that they are trying to get out to the public is that they are "now" better than Workhorse.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #33
Ned

I have both a 2000 MH with V10 (w/low hp, 2 valves and 4R100) and a 2005 Super Duty with the new 3 valve V10 and 5 speed torq shift tranny - of course this isn't something I can compare, but the new tranny is a long overdue replacement for the E40D and 4R100.

For a real comparison, I think you would need to test drive an identical coach (same floor plan, same mfr, same everything, except the chassis) - one built on the WH chassis and then on the new Ford chassis. Only then would you be able to make a fair assessment.
For those harsh ride comments, I have this to say about Work Horse (and I've never rode or drove one): a few years back when the W22 came out, all I heard about was that it sure beat that stiff front axle on the Ford. Since that time, I have came across numerous topics on different forums regarding the shocks to replace the stock ones on a WH....if it was such great improvement over the Ford, why are so many trying to fix a hard riding WH?? Just thinking out loud, and these are my thoughts.
My early build V10 on the 21.5k chassis is just fine for me, even with the lower hp and stock shocks.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #34
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ned:
....if it was such great improvement over the Ford, why are so many trying to fix a hard riding WH?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The base problem is not that the ride is too hard but that the ride is too soft. The chassis was designed in this manner to attempt to deliver a "like-air" quality to a gas powered motorhome that up until the release date of the 2001 had never been attempted. The RV Media ate this chassis up and loved every morsel.

To a great degree Workhorse achieved good technology with the new "Stabil-Ride" suspension and it did certainly delivered on the like-air design concept.

In real world terms in the past couple of years the technology was not well received by a great many motorhome owners for a few reasons one of which is beyond the control of the chassis builder. What most owners complained about was an excessive amount of pitch or porpoising and to some degree yaw.

In completely reworking the new follow on products, consumer feedback told Workhorse that the motorhome buying public overwhelmingly preferred performance over ride comfort. Meeting this demand was easy. Initially the Monroe RV Magnums were fitted to the chassis' front axle and this changed the ride quality with the result that the perception of excessive pitch was under a greater amount of restraint or dampening.

This change was well received by the public and continuing along this course Bilstein's higher degree of control, added stiffness to the front anti-roll bar and a new steering geometry were being or had been fitted by the 2nd quarter to the 2004 W Series chassis. There's no doubt that Bilsteins on all 4 corners are being well received. The anti roll properties are greatly improved and the chassis steers practically as well as any solid I beam front axle RDP.

In a very few cases some owners have complained that the Bilsteins are too harsh or stiff. For those owners 4 Monroe RV Magnums were fitted and this appeared to do the trick.

In the new W22s and the W24, Workhorse got it right!
Old 01-16-2005, 06:37 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ford has been in the chassie business for some time but the chassie was a truck chassie, not one designed to carry a motor home. Thats where Workhorse took over an changed the industry. I have own three Fords, I added new shocks on all three, an two of them,one I had to add leaf springs for support, an Air-Lifts on the other, the Fords could not support the Newmar coach's that were mounted on them. Not saying Newmar may have been overloading the chassie but thats all thay had until the new Workhorse came along. The quality, "Made in Mexico", of the Fords drive train an chassie can put Workhorse on the ropes right now, but I expect that will change. With the problems I have had with my WH,the bounce,starter switch cable burnup, an cat recall,I will still take the WH--THANK-YOU.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:17 AM   #36

The only thing that attracts me to a WH chassie is that allison transmission, and I like the way the 8.1 delivers its power (lower in the RPM band) but you can't argue with the impressive record of V-10. And that ain't enough for me to make the jump.

tmcgeesr is offline   Reply With Quote