Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2004, 03:07 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
heard is now using an updated v-10 and a 5-speed auto. has anyone seen one? will is be a chevy killer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2004, 03:07 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
heard is now using an updated v-10 and a 5-speed auto. has anyone seen one? will is be a chevy killer?

Old 12-04-2004, 06:32 AM   #3

Ford will never be a Chey killer until they quiet down that high-revving V10, don't care how much HP is Added. Chassis need redesign to ride much better then old F53's too!

Mike T.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:48 AM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hey guys! I saw the 2005 F Series motorhome chassis at the RVIA Show in Louisville this past week and all I can say is that, for Ford oriented folks, you will not be disappointed.

The F53 features 4 GVW ratings, 15.7K, 18K, 10.5K and 22K. The GCWR is 26K and Ford claims that you can tow as much as 10,300 pounds, a real benefit for RVer's who want to pull a boat or a second vehicle. (That's great but most OEMs only fit 5K receivers).

The new 6.8L V-10 10 Valve Triton engine delivers 362 HP and 457 lbs.-ft. of torque. The engine features a fair safe cooling system and a 100,000 mile tune up interval.

Ford has equipped the F53 with a "new" 5 Speed Automatic Overdrive Transmission with Tow/Haul Mode.

I will develop this article a bit better in the RV Industry News as soon as I have a little time. Right now it's not available as a Press Release so I have to key in everything from their brochure.

Congratulations Ford lovers, your ship has arrived.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:01 AM   #5

Driver,

The only thing you pointed out new was HP @ torque. 22,000 lb chassis is new, but have they gotten the bone-jarring ride out of it?

It sounds like th same'ol V10 with a new chip, high revving and noisy?

What is revoloutionary about it? Don't take me wrong, I'm a Ford lover, have owned several F150 pickups, and currently do.

I'll take my W22 over the F53 anyday.

Mike T.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:22 PM   #6

The F53 features 4 GVW ratings, 15.7K, 18K, 10.5K and 22K. The GCWR is 26K and Ford claims that you can tow as much as 10,300 pounds, a real benefit for RVer's who want to pull a boat or a second vehicle. (That's great but most OEMs only fit 5K receivers).

Driver,
I don't think they mean you can tow 10,300 lbs. with your MH. The 22K chassis has a GCWR of 26K. When the MH is loaded with people, fuel,supplies,etc. you would be real lucky to have 2,000 lbs. of CCC left over. That would only allow you pull 6,000lbs. Where would you come up with the other 4,600 lbs.?

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Looks like it would be with the 15,700 lb GVWR chassis, if the GCWR was still 26,000.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:13 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lockman:
What is revolutionary about it? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mike, I'm gonna have to say it but I don't think I said revolutionary however if I didn't say it, I see the F53 as evolutionary. It would seem to have matured and adopted some of the attributes of its major competitor or it would certainly have been left in the dust.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:17 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmitchell:
I don't think they mean you can tow 10,300 lbs. with your MH. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, My job isn't to make up the News. I just report it. Those lines came out of their public relations materials. I'm still scratchin' my head over that one too!

a. MH chassis don't typically come with any greater than a Class III receiver.
b. The biggest towbars only go 10,000 pounds however with a weight distributing hitch you can probably tow 10,300 pounds. I don't think you would want to dead ball that amount of weight.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:38 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

A friend of mine has an F550 with the 6.0 diesel and the five speed auto and that is one fine rig. Tranny is very smooth.

As for the V10 high reving, V10's ARE designed for higher revs. That's what more (but smaller & lighter) pistons does for you. Mind you, I'm not rushing down to trade in my W22 either, but I think I would be happy enough with the upgraded V10 and new tranny.

The 10,300 lbs of towing capacity is the usual industry hype - it's "up to 10,300 lbs". As Str8shooter notes, you can get that much with an empty 15.7K chassis because the chassis GCWR is 26,000 across the board.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:58 AM   #11

DriVer,
I didn't mean for my reply to offend you. It just didn't compute for me when I read the towing capacity. I was looking at the 22k chassis thinking that the heaviest rated chassis should be able to pull the heaviest load. With RV Roamer's explanation it makes a bit more sense. When I see a shorter MH pulling a big load it looks overloaded when in reality the longer MHs with the same drive train is more apt to be overloaded.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:16 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tmitchell:
When I see a shorter MH pulling a big load it looks overloaded when in reality the longer MHs with the same drive train is more apt to be overloaded. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a most excellent observation.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:37 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lockman:
Ford will never be a Chey killer until they quiet down that high-revving V10, don't care how much HP is Added. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2V V10 peak torque = 3250RPM
2V V10 peak HP = 4250RPM

GM 8.1 peak torque = 3200RPM
GM 8.1 peak HP = 4200RPM
Old 12-08-2004, 06:25 AM   #14

Mike,

I see your comparison, but it has no bearing on the difference of the noise levels.

I have had 2 MH with V10, class C & A. I was never dissatisfied with their performance, just the high noise level. How about posting the decibel readings on the 8.1 vs. V10 @ 4250 RPM?
That I would like to see.

MIke T.