Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #1

We have an island queen sized matress(60"x80", I believe) in our coach. Looking for recommendations for a replacement and best places to purchase mattresses for RVs. I don't believe this is a standard size? Has anyone tried an air mattress(like those used for camping) with a memory foam topper, which we already have?

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #2

We have an island queen sized matress(60"x80", I believe) in our coach. Looking for recommendations for a replacement and best places to purchase mattresses for RVs. I don't believe this is a standard size? Has anyone tried an air mattress(like those used for camping) with a memory foam topper, which we already have?

TIA!

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 11-17-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We just got a Serta something. It's practically the bottom of the line mattress but it's way better than the stock RV mattress we had. We also had a pillow topper we bought from Camping World a few years back and it's good sleepin'.

60x80 is a standard size queen mattress.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BIGRED1:

TIA! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Standard size Serta queen is what I replaced mine with. Fire retardent and available as the separate mattress without the box spring at your local Sams Club.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
There's an Original Mattress Factory in Marietta. They will make a mattress for you to your specs at a reasonable price. We have one in the stick house and it's every bit as good as the Eastman House Orthropose we got 25 years ago and still using in the cabin.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:24 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We bought a memory foam mattress and put it on top of our queen size mattress. It has worked good for us.

I bought it at http://www.overstocked.com/
Old 11-18-2006, 06:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
80 x 60 is the standard Queen size. If your present mattress has non-rounded corners then any standard mattress will fit. Mattress are usually sold in sets. You should not need a box spring. Lots of places sell beds and you should be able to purchase a very good mattress at a reasonable price.

We looked at air beds and memory foam as many RV's love them, but decided on a good quality old fashioned spring type. Got a Simmons Beautyrest as that is what felt good to us.

Watch the height as you add pillowtop to any mattress it can get hard to get into.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:40 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Try this site..you may have to scroll around to find what you want.

Air Dream
Old 11-19-2006, 04:19 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JerryofWV:
We bought a memory foam mattress and put it on top of our queen size mattress. It has worked good for us.

I bought it at http://www.overstocked.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have a memory foam pad on it now that we bought at Sam's Club. The problem is with the mattress. It sags toward the middle. I think the springs are shot.

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 11-19-2006, 04:24 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zimectrin:
30 x 60 is the standard Queen size. If your present mattress has non-rounded corners then any standard mattress will fit. Mattress are usually sold in sets. You should not need a box spring. Lots of places sell beds and you should be able to purchase a very good mattress at a reasonable price.

We looked at air beds and memory foam as many RV's love them, but decided on a good quality old fashioned spring type. Got a Simmons Beautyrest as that is what felt good to us.

Watch the height as you add pillowtop to any mattress it can get hard to get into. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe 60 X 80 is the standard queen size. Ours turns out to be 60 X 74(a "short queen"), which is common on RV's, but not available at most mattress places. It looks like we'll have to order one.

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 11-19-2006, 04:32 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
We fought our mattress for over 2 years. We added an egg crate topper and tried various other things to use what was there. But in the end we put in an air bead with dual bladders/controls, memory foam, and a very nice pillow top. It allows has a 15 year or longer warranty. I got it from a guy that had an ad in the Highways magazine. There is a complete set of photos of the bed over on the photo site.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:34 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Z:
Try this site..you may have to scroll around to find what you want.

Air Dream </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, these look like nice mattresses. Unfortunately they only come in a a 6" or 11" thickness and we need an 8". BTW, I bookmarked the link. Looks like a good source for furniture parts too.

8.3L Cummins ISC
Old 11-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #13

Here is an air bed that comes in different thickness' starting at 8". They have the short queen for RV's.

I would go to a thicker pillow top if at all possible. We have the Select Comfort in our home in the master bedroom and also the guest room. The one in the master bedroom is thicker with the pillowtop and is much more comfortable than the 8" in the guest room. Hey, we don't want the guest to get too comfortable, they might not want to leave.

Bearbeds Air Mattress

Ron

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote