Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Member
 
muleman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake of the Ozarks
Posts: 58
Question New MH Equipment List

O.K. I've done several searches with no results. Here's the scenario...you've just picked up that new MH (gas if that makes a difference). What are all the items needed to be stocked before you head for that first campground? I've camped before so I can come up with a good start, but I'm sure the collective experience here on the forum will list items I didn't even consider. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
muleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,972
Once one gets past a fresh water fill hose and a dump hose the list gets optional fast. Might want a piece of television coax to hook up if where you are going has cable. After that it's a large line of credit or a set of tools you are comfortable with. Probably the best thing to do is a few overnights and see what you wish you had.
__________________

__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleman1 View Post
O.K. I've done several searches with no results. Here's the scenario...you've just picked up that new MH (gas if that makes a difference). What are all the items needed to be stocked before you head for that first campground? I've camped before so I can come up with a good start, but I'm sure the collective experience here on the forum will list items I didn't even consider. Thanks.
Muleman1,
Well Sir, this is by far, a loaded question. Just about every one that RVs will have a different set of "What ifs" that they may anticipate. So, there will be quite a variety of answers. No biggie, it all depends on where you normally go and, your individual style of camping and needs for that style.

We do both dry and hook-up camping and RVing. Dry style camping may entail more un level spots so, leveling blocks/ramps/lumber quite possibly may be needed on a more frequent basis than, RV parks can new and improved campgrounds with manufactured pads i.e. concrete, pavement and graded rock/gravel/decomposed granite.

Various tools (maybe in a tool box) are always nice to have on hand. Spare oil, transmission oil, coolant, maybe a spare serpentine belt/V-belt etc. for your specific engine. A garden hose that's RV approved. A extension cord for with maybe a nice LED drop light for if and when, some night time emergency could pop up and or, just doing some night time setup for camping. Both don't take up much room and, can be stored tactfully so as to not be in the way but easily accessible.

Of course nice, comfortable chairs, a small fold up table, possibly a Coleman gas lantern (those are really sentimental to me). I also carry a shovel, some pruning shears (for when close quarter branches are intimidating the paint on our coach). And, sometimes there's NO CAMP FIRES ALOWED in certain Improved Campgrounds and RV parks but, they do allow "Campfire In a Can" so, we carry one of those. I carry some fishing gear/two poles and a tackle box.

We also carry nice mats (two large ones) to lay out on the lounge side of th coach to help keep the dust down and, keeps the carpet clean in the coach. I carry a small rivet gun kit and assorted rivets just in case there's a need for that such a thing. Also, a small Dremel kit, again for a "what if" need. Also in that same area is a drill and, assorted drill bits.

I'm not planning on building a home with all this stuff but, it's just nice to have and, have used all of it, on an "every so often" basis which, has come in outstandingly convenient in time of need situations. I also carry various assortment of WD-40, penetrant, spray grease, oil, glues, Lacquer thinner(for ultra cleaning of surfaces and parts) and stuff like that. Oh, one more thing, a small air compressor and tire inflation nozzle, air blow gun and, a fifty foot and ten foot air hose.

So, as you see, it all depends on what you might thing would be of value when out in the "outback" and, away from home that you take for granted.
Scott








__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
sbahrns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 302
Fire Up,

That is the most organized setup I have seen. I should have known it belonged to a fire fighter. Us retired cops are used to just throwing stuff in the trunk then rummaging through it when we need something. Unfortunately, that's how my TT looks now.

I hope to be more like you when we get the new ride.

Great job!!
__________________
Steve and Liz
2016 Ventana 4041, All Electric
http://fulltimingit.com
sbahrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 9,290
"muleman1".....You'll accumulate stuff as you go and some like to have more tools than others. One thing I do.....if something breaks, like a latch, hinge, plastic fitting, etc...I always buy a replacement and a few spares. Certain parts go in specific storage areas, like electrical in one spot, screws and hardware in another. That way I know where to quickly find them.

I also like to carry things that can really spoil a trip. I carry an extra 12 volt water pump, a water pump multiplex switch and similar items. I've never needed the water pump, but have loaned it out three times over the years.

Electrically, I carry one of the small propane powered soldering irons, solder, volt meter, assorted wire in different sizes, butt connectors, electrical tape and tie wraps. Recently, I added a PEX crimp tool and several sizes of PEX clamps. They work better than hose clamps and can fix many issues with plumbing or hoses.

I also have a couple of old plastic peanut butter jars full of assorted screws, nuts and bolts. If I fix something inside the coach, buy something to install, I save any left over fasteners and throw them in the jars.

I keep extra fuel filter(s) for both the engine and the generator and all the pins and connectors I need to attach the toad. If for some reason I loose a connector or pin, I'm not stranded. If you've had RV's for years, you usually have extras of the tow stuff.

Since my coach has custom paint and is tall, I carry a pole trimmer. I have no issues trimming back a tree that is going to scratch my coach!

I found these plastic bins handy for storing parts.



Lastly, I recommend everyone carry one of these. It's a fuse tester that doesn't require the fuse to be removed. Test it in place. They're available at Walmart, Amazon, or any auto parts store and they're inexpensive.

__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Betr2Trvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,063
We jumped into the MH world with our new gasser in March. We have put 5,000 miles and spent 70 nights o the road, so here is my perspective.....

Tools - I kept it simple, looked at my toolbox and decided what I use o a regular basis and bought a soft sided toolbox and put those tools in there. At first I brought my cordless drill, but have left it at home recently, but I will put it back on when we do our 3 month trip next summer....... As for spare parts, kept it simple too; a wide variety of fuses and an extra windshield wiper. Of course there are small bits and pieces (fasteners/screws/etc.) that have been accumulated along the way already but simply extras from whatever I was doing on the coach.

Remember, you are seldom more than 30 minutes to a Home Depot or auto parts store, and there is always Fed Ex for the special part that you would never have anyway no matter how many spares you carry.

I also keep everything I need to wash the coach in a bin, plus an extension pole that has an attaché net to hold special microfiber mitts.

We bought a Big Green Egg Mini Max that we cook on all the time. Had to put a 3/4" piece of plywood in the bay since the legs do not distribute the 80#s very well.

Things that I learned that I needed or wanted that I have bought:
Sewer hose stand
Plastic leveling blocks
2 piece awning shade

Things that I will add next year:
Another serwer hose section, and extra O rings
A 50 amp extension cable (we have already talked to one CG that told us that some people have issues with how far thier pedestals are.... These are pricey, but I'll ante up for one).
Another set of leveling blocks

I'll also get a small shovel and ax, as much to put in the Jeep for off roading security as needing for the MH. We may also get a small gas grill, as we are finding some CGs do not allow any sort of grill that uses coals.....

Good luck!
__________________
D&S
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA; 24k chassis, Sumo springs
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 262
[QUOTE=Dutch Star Don;2727097]"muleman1MG]

Lastly, I recommend everyone carry one of these. It's a fuse tester that doesn't require the fuse to be removed. Test it in place. They're available at Walmart, Amazon, or any auto parts store and they're inexpensive. (QUOTE)

This wouldn't help any with my coach. Most plug in fuses are mounted on panels where you can't get to the back anyway. You have to pull the fuse and then just look at it. You will see if its blown. Other protectors are all circuit breakers which are obvious when blown.

Phil Swanson
95 Baby Bird RV Bus
__________________
philipswanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
Fire Up,

That is the most organized setup I have seen. I should have known it belonged to a fire fighter. Us retired cops are used to just throwing stuff in the trunk then rummaging through it when we need something. Unfortunately, that's how my TT looks now.

I hope to be more like you when we get the new ride.

Great job!!
sbahrns
I surely thank you for your nice comment. What you see stems from my experience in outfitting new fire trucks. As a long standing overtime assignment I had for over 24 years of my 30 year career, I would, on my days off, receive a new, empty fire truck and, go to work on it. When it was done, it had every single piece of equipment, hose, tools, ladders, nozzles, breathing air packs, radios, medical aide equipment, supplies and a zillion other things, neatly mounted in easy to access locations.

And, when at all possible, I would do it the same exact way, in every fire truck possible. That way, any fireman could open the same compartment, on any fire truck, at any time, day or night, in any emergency, and be able to locate what he and or, "she" needed, without asking. This stuff is kind-a fun for me. And, it keeps things neat and organized. I keep as much off the floors of the compartments as possible. I figure, that's what the walls of the compartments are for.

By keeping things as neat and organized as possible, I can retrieve a part, tool, some oil, anything, without looking through boxes, bins, and all that. That also means less time looking for parts/pieces/equipment I know I have but, can't locate in a timely manner.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Drummer Mike's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20
Send a message via Skype™ to Drummer Mike
Perfect thread for me. Thanks for the ideas everyone! We just bought our first DP, a 2006 Mountain Aire, and take possession in a couple of weeks. I am already making a list of the 'few' things/tools I will need to pack for an extended trip.
Fire Up...you should do workshops! What a great set-up! The fishing gear is the capper!
__________________
Drummer Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
ArmandV's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tarzana, CA
Posts: 1,176
I made this a few months ago:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Connections & accessories.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	580.9 KB
ID:	107352  
__________________
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
jerboy's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 393
I carry a pair of throw-a-way painters coveralls. They are VERY reflective at night. Great for side of the road emergencies.
__________________
WE WORK HARD SO OUR DOG CAN HAVE A BETTER LIFE
2005 ADVENTURER 38J
jerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 492
Food and drink, the rest you will figure out over time
__________________
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
FIRE UP's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Out there, somewhere
Posts: 5,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Mike View Post
Perfect thread for me. Thanks for the ideas everyone! We just bought our first DP, a 2006 Mountain Aire, and take possession in a couple of weeks. I am already making a list of the 'few' things/tools I will need to pack for an extended trip.
Fire Up...you should do workshops! What a great set-up! The fishing gear is the capper!
Mike,
I surely thank you for the nice comment. As stated, I did this almost for a living on new fire trucks. Of course the equipment was a bit different but, laying things out, mounting them, utilizing the maximum available space, ORGANIZING is the key feature here. I've done just about everything I can to leave the floor of each compartment, VACANT! But, as you can see that does not always happen. Somethings just can't be mounted or, hung on walls. You do what you can.

But, the main/primary reason I do what I do is, I hate to be on a trip, in a campsite, helping a fellow camper etc. and, go into my compartments looking for something I know I have but, have to DIG IN BOXES, CONTAINERS etc. for hours to find what I'm looking for, for a five minute job.

Over the years, I've removed, added, refined, altered, etc. what's needed in my compartments. Another good point about having this kind of organization is, you know EXACTLY where you need to go, for just about any item, in any compartment, at any time. That way, you're not opening and closing compartments looking for stuff.
Scott
__________________
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Muleman1,
Well Sir, this is by far, a loaded question. Just about every one that RVs will have a different set of "What ifs" that they may anticipate. So, there will be quite a variety of answers. No biggie, it all depends on where you normally go and, your individual style of camping and needs for that style.

We do both dry and hook-up camping and RVing. Dry style camping may entail more un level spots so, leveling blocks/ramps/lumber quite possibly may be needed on a more frequent basis than, RV parks can new and improved campgrounds with manufactured pads i.e. concrete, pavement and graded rock/gravel/decomposed granite.

Various tools (maybe in a tool box) are always nice to have on hand. Spare oil, transmission oil, coolant, maybe a spare serpentine belt/V-belt etc. for your specific engine. A garden hose that's RV approved. A extension cord for with maybe a nice LED drop light for if and when, some night time emergency could pop up and or, just doing some night time setup for camping. Both don't take up much room and, can be stored tactfully so as to not be in the way but easily accessible.

Of course nice, comfortable chairs, a small fold up table, possibly a Coleman gas lantern (those are really sentimental to me). I also carry a shovel, some pruning shears (for when close quarter branches are intimidating the paint on our coach). And, sometimes there's NO CAMP FIRES ALOWED in certain Improved Campgrounds and RV parks but, they do allow "Campfire In a Can" so, we carry one of those. I carry some fishing gear/two poles and a tackle box.

We also carry nice mats (two large ones) to lay out on the lounge side of th coach to help keep the dust down and, keeps the carpet clean in the coach. I carry a small rivet gun kit and assorted rivets just in case there's a need for that such a thing. Also, a small Dremel kit, again for a "what if" need. Also in that same area is a drill and, assorted drill bits.

I'm not planning on building a home with all this stuff but, it's just nice to have and, have used all of it, on an "every so often" basis which, has come in outstandingly convenient in time of need situations. I also carry various assortment of WD-40, penetrant, spray grease, oil, glues, Lacquer thinner(for ultra cleaning of surfaces and parts) and stuff like that. Oh, one more thing, a small air compressor and tire inflation nozzle, air blow gun and, a fifty foot and ten foot air hose.

So, as you see, it all depends on what you might thing would be of value when out in the "outback" and, away from home that you take for granted.
Scott








That is awesome. You should start a business. I would hire you to set up mine
__________________

__________________
msi1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
YOUR Outlaw Feature List anthonynalli Damon 14 02-21-2015 06:13 PM
Concise RV Junkyard List TrueReb National RV Owner's Forum 5 02-20-2015 11:14 AM
Bucket List tacking New Member Check-In 19 11-16-2014 06:59 AM
Factory Punch List Visit DSL417 Entegra Owner's Forum 0 06-05-2013 08:37 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.