Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Junior Member
 
2b555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15
You folks are awesome. Thanks for all the advice. Now if you could just all agree on a single path forward ;-)

I will call them tomorrow and tell them that I am reserving the right to refuse it after they modify it. I would then order another new one - either through them or one of their competitors. Would largely depend on how "sorry" they felt (read money, upgrades, etc). If they don't like this option, then we need to negotiate ordering another one. For this, the price/options will have to improve measurably.

We did note (and did not share with them) that there are options on the rig that we did not order, and will not pay for. At the moment we're considering them "free" upgrades. One is an outdoor radio - not a big deal. The other is the a winter package - they electric blanketed the tanks. I believe this was an $800 option that we passed on. We live in OH and wrestled over this option, but finally decided against.

Funny thing is that they did not point these out as valuables that we're already to receive - something I would have expected them to do.

Time and inconvenience are difficult to value precisely. Someone screwed up there - I think it was the gal who placed the order, though it could have been the factory. Intuitively, we think it was someone at the dealer. It was not our sales guy - he was awesome. If the mistake doesn't have any lasting consequences (Perhaps the biggest question), we're only set back two weeks, and they seem legitimately apologetic, I think we proceed. This is one of those "bring a new customer into the fold, or jettison them" moments. We'll see.

We're not making any fuss (yet) - mistakes happen. We're encouraging them to do the right things. I can say that if I find myself getting irritated and having to dig in, this will be a strong signal to get out.

Again, this crowd is awesome. Thanks so much for your thoughtful and insightful assistance. For those who are interested, I will keep you posted.

Bruce.
__________________

__________________
2b555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
GOLDWINGER2's Avatar
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 1,079
What make and model MH are you buying. On the sofa/table config, does that have a hole in the floor to place the table or is it some kind of modern method of placing the table in front of the couch? I had the sofa/couch set-up once, it was not fun. If you take the mod, make sure you have all holes in the floor filled properly. Remember these RV's roll down the road, hitting potholes, railroad tracks, and other road defects. The problems always raise there ugly heads after the warranty, plus the factory needs to be advised of the change in case of a claim. It all depends on what size and location of the holes that need to be filled in. For me, I would move on.
This not a $5000 dollar unit to be experimented and have a learning experience on.
J
__________________

__________________
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #17
Member
 
Koodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lyons, CO
Posts: 30
I had a similar experience with a TT. Had a deal, contract in hand and the dealership sold unit from under me. Of course they said it was a mistake on their part, yaddy-yaddy-yaddy...
They never offered a lower price, nor put off the second buyer, but they did offer a MH for use while they got another unit in. I was under a time constraint and did not want to hassle with picking up the MH and dropping it off. 40 miles 1 way to the dealership.
I may have stayed with them, but when they made it very difficult in returning my deposit I was done. Clearly they were more concerned with their sale than my satisfaction.
Ended up being a good deal for me as I went to a different dealership and got a great deal on what I concider a better unit. The service is excellent and they went above and beyond to get me rolling in the shorter time frame I needed.
Sometimes @#it happens for a reason.
__________________
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 AM   #18
Junior Member
 
2b555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15
RE: New MH Not Delivered Today

The MH is a Forest River Sunseeker 2650S.

My immediate concern was with the flooring - the mounts that are in the floor for the removable table that goes in front of the sofa are pretty big holes. They said that these would be patched. Thinking further about this, I think it would be best to have any subflooring that has a hole in it, be swapped out for a new piece (I guess these are 4x8s).

My next concern is for the installation of the new flooring and newly needed base molding.

To make me comfortable, the dealer would need to extend the warranty on all aspects of this modification for at least one year post factory warranty, and preferably 2 years.

We are leaning strongly in the direction to pass on this and order new. This dealer may be inclined to give us more incentives, but maybe not. Time to shop again - big sigh. This is our first MH and one of the things that I read here that stuck with me was that we should "get what we want the first time." When spending $60+K on a toy, I don't feel that we should be making concessions. Afterall, this is why we bought new. We know the market is flooded with perfectly good, relatively less expensive, "previously loved" alternatives.

Further advice on this matter, and suggestions for other class C MHs that we should be thinking about would be greatly appreciated.

You folks are great. Big sincere thank yous to all who are helping us along this path.

Bruce.
__________________
2b555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
We did note (and did not share with them) that there are options on the rig that we did not order,
Beginning to think this was a OEM screw up...Somewhere, there is another buyer that just received a MH with all the options you ordered...

Wonder if they can track it down and swap the MH's?
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
dsbike's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hampstead, NC
Posts: 1,391
I think this is a tough call. Does the dealer have any other units that they did this type of mods to that you can look at? Are they going to do it or farm it out to a cabinet maker, flooring installer, ect? Being contracted out to the job specific pros would help with my decicion to let them go ahead.

I think midniteoyl brings up a very good point!!
__________________
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Dave and Jaime's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b555 View Post
You folks are awesome. Thanks for all the advice. Now if you could just all agree on a single path forward ;-)

I will call them tomorrow and tell them that I am reserving the right to refuse it after they modify it. I would then order another new one - either through them or one of their competitors. Would largely depend on how "sorry" they felt (read money, upgrades, etc). If they don't like this option, then we need to negotiate ordering another one. For this, the price/options will have to improve measurably.

We did note (and did not share with them) that there are options on the rig that we did not order, and will not pay for. At the moment we're considering them "free" upgrades. One is an outdoor radio - not a big deal. The other is the a winter package - they electric blanketed the tanks. I believe this was an $800 option that we passed on. We live in OH and wrestled over this option, but finally decided against.

Funny thing is that they did not point these out as valuables that we're already to receive - something I would have expected them to do.

Time and inconvenience are difficult to value precisely. Someone screwed up there - I think it was the gal who placed the order, though it could have been the factory. Intuitively, we think it was someone at the dealer. It was not our sales guy - he was awesome. If the mistake doesn't have any lasting consequences (Perhaps the biggest question), we're only set back two weeks, and they seem legitimately apologetic, I think we proceed. This is one of those "bring a new customer into the fold, or jettison them" moments. We'll see.

We're not making any fuss (yet) - mistakes happen. We're encouraging them to do the right things. I can say that if I find myself getting irritated and having to dig in, this will be a strong signal to get out.

Again, this crowd is awesome. Thanks so much for your thoughtful and insightful assistance. For those who are interested, I will keep you posted.

Bruce.
Bruce,
I think you have taken a reasonable approach to this. Those who say walk away forget that you spent a lot of your time looking and negotiating and likely had plans to use the MH upon delivery. Walking away means you'd be spending countless other hours talking to different mfr's and dealers, and if you order one, probably waiting more months, too.

I suppose all of us have different levels of emotions and how we deal with mixups. I know a lot of people who routinely send their meals back to be recooked for some imperfection or another. Not me. Unless it is totally inedible, I will comment about the problem, consume it and see what they offer (free meal, complimentary wine, etc.). If they offer nothing, that is the last meal I eat there. Sending the meal back is even worse because now the rest of my group is uncomfortable eating in front of me and the timing is all off. They will be ready for desert when I get my entree. Plus, I always worry that if you are being unreasonably picky about a meal that someone will do something disgusting to the plate when it is returned.

I think giving them a chance to make it right is going to be the best test you could possibly have of this dealer's level of service and competence. Before you buy, everyone brags about the wonderful service department. You are going to be able to make them "prove it" to you. Assuming, as you state, that the redo will be subject to your approval or you get your money back, then if the service quality is lacking, you get to walk away. Better to do that now, then 3 months after delivery when you need warranty repairs and discover these folks are unresponsive and incompetent. So, from my perspective, you have made a good decision.

But, since you mentioned the unordered options, and the mess up on the option you ordered, I have a strong suspicion that they didn't actually build YOUR coach. This is more likely a "similar" coach that someone backed out of and they were trying to pawn it off on you rather than take it on as inventory. They probably figured that you would be so excited about the new MH that you would give them a "pass" on the mistakes. If so, I'd be more concerned about the dealer's ethics than the redo.

BTW, this mild version of a bait and switch is more common than you'd think. I was trying to get a custom metal building produced for storing my MH and contacted several national companies (you've heard them advertise). I told them the dimensions that I wanted and requested price quotes. Then almost everyone one of them called and told me about another building they could sell me a big discount because someone put down a deposit and canceled before delivery. They were all high pressure and wanted me to buy a building that didn't meet my needs because I would save a lot of money. I got pretty suspicious after the 2d or 3d company told me the same thing. And none of them would ever quote me a price for the size building I actually wanted! I didn't buy from any of those companies.
__________________
Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #22
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
But, since you mentioned the unordered options, and the mess up on the option you ordered, I have a strong suspicion that they didn't actually build YOUR coach. This is more likely a "similar" coach that someone backed out of and they were trying to pawn it off on you rather than take it on as inventory. They probably figured that you would be so excited about the new MH that you would give them a "pass" on the mistakes. If so, I'd be more concerned about the dealer's ethics than the redo.
Not so sure about that... more likely someone switched the paper work.. either when it was ordered, or at the factory. THAT happens a lot more...
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
ImagineIF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,045
Given you waited for a factory equipped model the way you wanted, you probably want what you paid and waited for--a factory specific configuration.

I would be curious as to who screwed this one up, if anyone. I suspect it was a dealer that had one that was close to your configuration coming in and they just didn't want to keep it on the lot. I would call FR and ask them if the problems with the build are an indication of bigger problems to follow. I bet they respond with something along the lines of the build we sent out is as specified by the dealer. If my assumption is correct, I'd walk away from that dealer. The only thing that would tie me to that dealer is a crazy good deal, as their integrity is already shot.

Others have pointed out that the remodel will not be exactly the same as a factory model. The biggest point being the flooring will end at anything attached to the floor. This will require molding and MAY result in the flooring coming up.

Call around to some big dealers, even if they are not local. If you can get the configuration and deal you want, consider the distant pick-up as your first outing and take your time coming home.

Gil
__________________
Gil
99 Country Coach
Prevost XL 45 Conversion
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Dave and Jaime's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I would be curious as to who screwed this one up, if anyone. I suspect it was a dealer that had one that was close to your configuration coming in and they just didn't want to keep it on the lot. I would call FR and ask them if the problems with the build are an indication of bigger problems to follow. I bet they respond with something along the lines of the build we sent out is as specified by the dealer. If my assumption is correct, I'd walk away from that dealer. The only thing that would tie me to that dealer is a crazy good deal, as their integrity is already shot.

Gil
My suspicion, too.
__________________
Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Dave and Jaime's Avatar
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Not so sure about that... more likely someone switched the paper work.. either when it was ordered, or at the factory. THAT happens a lot more...
If it was just one option, maybe. But the OP reports not only was the option he selected not built, but other unordered options were in the build. How is that "switched paper"? Someone had to affirmatively add the options to the standard equipment. If an option was left off and the standard configuration was built, that could be an oversight on the factory floor (not paying attention). But factories don't accidentally install options.
__________________
Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
2b555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 15
Those with any experience would know better than we do, but it doesn't seem likely that the factory would "accidentally" install options. By the way, I was wrong about the price of those options - together they are about $650 list. They will not factor into any decisions we make.

We ordered the coach in mid-Jan and have waited patiently (not a single call to inquire about eta) for the delivery. It took ~7 weeks. In winter, based on what we've read, this seems to be about the right amount of time for them to build our rig. So, I don't see this as a bait and switch. More likely a "babies switched at birth" scenario. If so, this will be known pretty quickly.

Though, to have it come with everything we ordered plus a few "gimmes," and less the kitchenette makes me think it was a paperwork/order issue at the dealer.

I don't know if I've already said it, but if we have them modify this one, I will get their plans for conversion and verification that it went according to plan (pics).

Finally, when I indicate that I reserve the right to refuse after modification, I suspect they will either try to convince me that the modification is a no brainer (and get me commit to taking it), or will let me re-order new from factory. I am not sure that they will convert and risk being "stuck" with it. Who knows?

Again folks, thanks for playing!

Bruce.
__________________
2b555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #27
Member
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 60
My brother and wife order their 5th wheel with a booth but it arrived with a table and chairs. The dealership was surprised that they just didn't say OK, we'll take it. The dealership offered an discount and agreed to fix it. In the end everything worked out well and my brother was happy especially after ending up with the better table (compared to the table that came with the booth).

On one of the first outing my brother & wife were taking with another couple at a campsite that had the same 5th wheel. Turns out that that the other couple ordered theirs from the same dealership & time period. The funny part is that couple ordered the table with chairs but got the booth instead.
__________________
2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL by Forest River / 2011 Toyota Tundra
Great Choice for "Living within my means" and Camping for one...
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Thor Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b555 View Post
Though, to have it come with everything we ordered plus a few "gimmes," and less the kitchenette makes me think it was a paperwork/order issue at the dealer.

Bruce.
Hey Bruce, by the way, not that it matters, but I think the thing you're calling a "kitchenette" is what's usually called a "booth dinette" (two fixed facing benches with a table in between, which in some cases can be lowered or removed). Am I right?

The only reason I bring it up is that as you discuss this with dealers or anyone else, you want to be clear what you're referring to. I was confused by your initial reference to a "kitchenette," and that was part of why I was strongly opposed to them modifying your coach. Swapping dinette for table isn't as big a deal as moving any kitchen equipment -- though I still wouldn't do it, but that's just my opinion.
__________________

__________________
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 things I learned today and 1 I was reminded of. Dixieray53 Just Conversation 23 02-21-2011 07:33 PM
Flushed the brakes today on the W20 FDchief Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 19 12-12-2009 04:00 PM
Ordered our Excel today janieD Excel Owner's Forum 18 08-29-2009 10:26 PM
Picking up my NEW 2007 Gulfstream Emerald Bay 31 TREB Today..... luke_vardanian New Rig Show-Off! 14 08-21-2008 12:52 PM
Installed 3 new coach batteries today Forest Grump iRV2.com General Discussion 8 01-16-2008 12:04 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.