Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I orderd Michelin tires from Costco Tuesday. I was at the counter when
the manager ordered the tires from a Michelin warehouse in MD.while on
a speaker phone. They were to be shipped Fri. And I went to pick them
today (Saturday). Upon checking the BOD of 1805, I told the manager I
would not buy a NEW 2yr. old tire. His response was "I only order them".

I was looking at Tyto tires, but the manager tried to sell me bread
truck tires because that was what he had on the shelf..Bas^*)%!!!
Tenn.Vol.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I orderd Michelin tires from Costco Tuesday. I was at the counter when
the manager ordered the tires from a Michelin warehouse in MD.while on
a speaker phone. They were to be shipped Fri. And I went to pick them
today (Saturday). Upon checking the BOD of 1805, I told the manager I
would not buy a NEW 2yr. old tire. His response was "I only order them".

I was looking at Tyto tires, but the manager tried to sell me bread
truck tires because that was what he had on the shelf..Bas^*)%!!!
Tenn.Vol.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
I ordered Michelin tires .... I went to pick them today ... checking the BOD of 1805, I told the manager I
would not buy a NEW 2yr. old tire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tenn Vol., I certainly don't blame you for being concerned. I got my tires from Camping World and I insisted on xx07 tires but I was given 4806s. I thought this was OK since they were all matched.

Michelin will tell you that an XRV does not begin to wear or degrade until you put air in the tire. It is entirely feasible that the 1805s if they were a brand new matched set would serve you well however the caveat is that if there is any warranty claim on the tire, Michelin goes by the DOT code and not the in-service date. When you get a new set of XRVs you don't fill out a warranty card or anything like that. In your case 2 years of warranty would be consumed by inactivity. Michelin's warranty spans 5 years.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tenn.Vol.:
I ordered Michelin tires .... I went to pick them today ... checking the BOD of 1805, I told the manager I
would not buy a NEW 2yr. old tire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tenn Vol., I certainly don't blame you for being concerned. I got my tires from Camping World and I insisted on xx07 tires but I was given 4806s. I thought this was OK since they were all matched.

Michelin will tell you that an XRV does not begin to wear or degrade until you put air in the tire. It is entirely feasible that the 1805s if they were a brand new matched set would serve you well however the caveat is that if there is any warranty claim on the tire, Michelin goes by the DOT code and not the in-service date. When you get a new set of XRVs you don't fill out a warranty card or anything like that. In your case 2 years of warranty would be consumed by inactivity. Michelin's warranty spans 5 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shame on Michelin. If they state(as a matter of policy) that their tires don't degrade until air is put in the tire, then the warrenty should be based on in-service date.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:55 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Michelin will tell you that an XRV does not begin to wear or degrade until you put air in the tire. It is entirely feasible that the 1805s if they were a brand new matched set would serve you well however the caveat is that if there is any warranty claim on the tire, Michelin goes by the DOT code and not the in-service date. When you get a new set of XRVs you don't fill out a warranty card or anything like that. In your case 2 years of warranty would be consumed by inactivity. Michelin's warranty spans 5 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me a little more about Michelin's 5 year warranty. I haven't noticed any tire warranty papers in my black bag although they may be there. What does this warranty cover and is there a copy of the warranty on Michelin's website??

I have some cracking on my left front tire. Tire has a date code of 3604 The other 5 are fine. The tires have never been abused, have never been run low on air and I bought the coach new. Do you think this cracking would be covered under warranty???

-Tom

LEFT FRONT

RIGHT FRONT

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally got my Michelins 245/70R19.5 from Sams Club, had a BOD 4507.
Did have a problem with the made in fance, and to think I got an
uncle buried over there!!!
Had the tires installled at a large truck tire store, M&B $25.each.
Sold the three take off for $400. that will offset the $650. I
have invested in the new tires.....Tenn.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #7

I just bought my 1991 HR and it had Michelin Tires which I knew I had to replace because the sidewalls were badly checkered. Big Bear is a small town and for a tire/automotive dealer to survive he has to be pretty good. We also are a major rec area for So. CA with millions (20) of people living within a 2 hour drive. The Mojave desert is officially 15 miles away.

The tire dealer I chose has been here 12 years and is an avid RV'r himself. The high UV, high heat conditions and the low single digit humidity we have plays havoc on all automotive rubber components.

He has a large replacement business for RV's up here and the brand he said that he sees that are checkered the most was Michelin. Also the tire dressing compounds have a tremendous negative effect on tire life in our area. Maybe those with Michelins like to show them off and dress their tires more. Tire dressing help absorb UV and heat.

He can get any tire, any brand, any size either that day or the next day because all are warehoused within 70 miles or so and are recent manufacture do to huge turnover. He suggested Goodyear and there was also another tire made by Goodyear which he has used extensively with excellent results. I needed a M&S and I like the second tires tread better so that is the one I chose. I am looking to replace them all in 3 years and so far they have done very well even in deep snow.

I have heard that most MH tires when the fail fail in their sidewalls usually with much tread left.

I guess if you put this altogether I agree with getting a newly manufactured tire and change them in a timely manner.

I also believe that stores like Costco, of which I am a member, don't always have the best of the best but probably the least costly. I've seen this in flashlight batteries and tires. I have a set of one year old Costco dual purpose 12v's that I replaced with Trojans. I can't give them away to any of my mechanic friends.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Tom N, I doubt seriously that your tires will be covered by any waranty. This is a normal deterioration of tires that are not constantly driven to keep the lubricants moving in the rubber. THe longers I would push a tire was six years. I am waiting ti see if the newer Goodyear GRV 670's will last longer for those that bought before I did three years ago.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Driver... where did you get your information from? Last April I had all six of my Michelin tires warrantied and noticed two of the six had a year older date then the other four. I called Michelin and was told the warranty starts from the purchase date. I was told to make sure I keep the purchase/installation invoice.

This came from the person who answered their hotline, so granted it was just a person and nothing in writing.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
Tom N, I doubt seriously that your tires will be covered by any waranty. This is a normal deterioration of tires that are not constantly driven to keep the lubricants moving in the rubber. THe longers I would push a tire was six years. I am waiting ti see if the newer Goodyear GRV 670's will last longer for those that bought before I did three years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

October 2007, after inspecting my tires, Michelin replaced both my front tires under warranty. New tires were dated 3807.

The owner of my local Michelin truck tire dealer (Elliott's Tire Service, Butler, PA) owns a Bluebird and he understands motorhome tires.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #11

Speaking of Michelin tires, what do knowledgeable RVers recommend about the relatively new, wide tread Michelin X-1 that is supposed to replace a set of duallys? Is it a good move and does anyone know the cost of buying the tire and the custom wheel vs. just replacing my 22.5" dual tires? Cheaper, about the same, or greater cost.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #12

It is surprising that RV tires can be so old when it is hard to find them in stock. Mine were one year old when I bought them. Actually, I forgot to check them at the time. I will next time.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:03 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Speaking of Michelin tires, what do knowledgeable RVers recommend about the relatively new, wide tread Michelin X-1 that is supposed to replace a set of duallys? Is it a good move and does anyone know the cost of buying the tire and the custom wheel vs. just replacing my 22.5" dual tires? Cheaper, about the same, or greater cost. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Naval Aviator,

You probably have a 235/80R22.5, or maybe a 255/70R22.5 on your Pace Arrow. Those have a diameter of 38.5 and 36.7 inches respectively. Most of the wide base tires start at a minimum diameter of apprx. 39 inches or more. IIRC a wheel will cost around $300 at the retail level.....maybe more. You will save weight, which is one reason why the truckers use them. You would most likely need to replace the studs on the axle.

I've thought about it.....it would give it the "Tim Allen" look, but my local customer (Commercial Tire Dealer) has talked me out of it .

Just think, big fat rollers on the rear with wheelie bars
Old 01-31-2008, 06:53 PM   #14

Weight is the big reason the X1 and similar wide track replacements are becoming popular in the trucking world.

Those that have switched have done so only to find out it sometimes isn't the best idea.

They are still fairly uncommon tires, and can be difficult to find in non major markets. Nothing like having a truck or an RV tied up for days waiting on a tire...

Secondly, although it might not be the best idea on an RV, but when you have a flat of one dual tire, most times you can limp off the road with the good one. In a truck's case, loaded light, you most likely will even make it off to the next service shop, avoiding that expensive service call.

Then traction comes in... nothing says lots of fun on snow and ice than big fat wide tires, and I don't care what kind of tread you have, big wide flexy tires, mean big sloppy driving fun. Two thinner tires, cut through the snow better, and in the laws of physics it is pretty simply, more surface are, means less Pounds Per Square inch, or less traction.

Those I know that have gone to them only stay with them because they got themselves into contracts that require hauling so much weight they can't cut anymore off.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote