Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #1

New MonroeMagnum Shocks

On Feb.16th, we ordered new MonroeMagnum shocks http://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/broken-shocks-63450.html for our 99 Monaco Executive. The vendor didn't have them in stock, so they had them drop shipped direct from Monroe. 4 days later, Feb.20th, we opened them up to put them on, but the eyelet bushings were bass ackwards on 8 of them, and on the other 2 they had the bottom bushing in the top also. On Monday Feb.22nd, we called the Monroe tech hotline and discussed the situation. We determined they were manufactured incorrectly at 2 separate manufacturing facilities of theirs here in the USA. Monroe suggested the best solution was to have them reworked by them, instead of sending us more shocks which would probably be manufactured incorrectly too. Monroe said they would arrange to have the shocks shipped back to them via next day air, reworked, and next day air back to us by the weekend, Feb.27th. We agreed.

On the afternoon of Feb.17th, we hadn't heard anything, so I called Monroe. They failed to call us to tell us that they thought it was to expensive to ship the shocks anyway other than normal ground both ways. Again, we agreed. 2 days later, Monroe again hadn't made the shipping arrangements so we called them and prodded them to get it done. Around Feb.24th, I called Monroe to see how the rework was going. They didn't know but said they would find out. On the 26th, they said they would be reworked shipped back to us on March 1st. On the 3rd, I called and asked if the shocks had been shipped. They didn't know but said they would find out. On March 5 th, they said they would ship them on the 8th. On the 8th, Monroe called us and said they had lost the tool to rework our shocks to they wanted to refund our $$$. We agreed. On the 10th we got an email from Monroe stating that the shocks had been reworked and were being shipped next day air to us. On the 11th our reworked shocks arrived. Monroe called us and asked if we had gotten them and if we wanted to keep them. Again we agreed on the condition that they were reworked correctly. We briefly looked them over and all appeared OK. On the 12th, we went to install them and discovered that the lower eyelet bushing was the incorrect(too small) size,14mm, so the 9/16 bolt that came out of the old Bilsteins wouldn't work because it was a few thousandths too big. We decided to machine down the original 9/16 bolts instead of buying new bolts or drilling out the lower metal eyelet bushing.

What to you expect for $42/shock?
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #2

I just installed 8 Koni FSD's on my 40 foot Endeavor Roadmaster Chassis. They fit perfect and installed in about an hour myself. But you get what you pay for these were over 1300.00 for 8 shocks.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #3

We installed the Monroes today on our 99 Executive and I took DW with me on a test drive.
We love'm!!!!
We live in The TX hill country. We drove roads big and smooth, and bumpy curvy, and bridge joints too.
$422, but what a pain!
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Koni fan

Last Sat, March 20, I took off 4 Bielsteins and put on 4 Koni FSD. Took one hour. Fit perfect. Mostly, there is an CONSIDERABLE improvement over the Bielsteins. I've been told by two service centers there is no difference - they must only sell Bielsteins because there is a HUGE difference.

Sorry for your Monroe problems. Good luck.