Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2007, 02:46 AM   #1

Picking up my new Motorcycle today and need to figure out how to travel with and without the bike. For now I am renting a UHaul cycle trailer and pull it behind my Suburban (Motorhome sitting at our summer site). The alternatives are;
1. 6' X 10' open trailer
2. Hydrolift mounted to MH
3. Enclosed cargo trailer for Suburban and Bike
4. Stacker trailer?

Not sure what I want to do or best alternative. I ultimatley want to travel with my toad and bike. I am not that excited about buying a long 24' trailer. Please chime in with feedback based on your experiences. My gut is telling me to buy and open trailer and a MH lift. The bike weights 490#'s.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:46 AM   #2

Picking up my new Motorcycle today and need to figure out how to travel with and without the bike. For now I am renting a UHaul cycle trailer and pull it behind my Suburban (Motorhome sitting at our summer site). The alternatives are;
1. 6' X 10' open trailer
2. Hydrolift mounted to MH
3. Enclosed cargo trailer for Suburban and Bike
4. Stacker trailer?

Not sure what I want to do or best alternative. I ultimatley want to travel with my toad and bike. I am not that excited about buying a long 24' trailer. Please chime in with feedback based on your experiences. My gut is telling me to buy and open trailer and a MH lift. The bike weights 490#'s.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 08-15-2007, 04:55 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Having personally been all over the map on this subject, I can give you my personal experiences and my step by step solutions, AND tell you I am still a "work in progress" with this issue...

I first considered this, from racecityproducts.com but found my Hummer H3 was too wide to fit on the dolly....You may find the Suburban too HEAVY to pull by dolly, but check racecityproducts.com

I then bought a 24' Stacker trailer and carried my Hummer H3 and golf cart on the bottom floor and then could carry up to four bikes on the elevator lift...Here's the picture of the Stacker trailer, I still have it in my driveway, but am currently not using it...

After looking into the bike lift on the back of the coach and consulting with Blue Ox, I found a bike lift on the back of my coach was not an option, due to the weight of my coach and how much of that weight was on the rear and tag axles.

I am currently waiting for my Blue Ox sportloader to arrive and will install it in the bed of my new Chevrolet pickup...

I traded the Hummer H3 on the pickup and will use the bike carrier in the bed to haul my Harley Screamin' Eagle Ultra...

Stay tuned!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 AM   #4

thanks Bob. I am also all over the map. After talking with a few guys that own stackers, I am looking into other altenatives. My Suburban is too big for the tow dolly. I may wind up with 2 scenarios:
1. Open trailer for 2 bikes (modified landscaper trailer)
2. Hydra lift for back of coach

This weekend I am renting a uhaul bike trailer since my coach is parked at my site in No. Michigan.

I wish that I could just tow a small trailer behind the Suburban toad. Ohio State Highway Patrol claims that legal limit is 65' and no special permit can be issued since my first trailer is a powered vehicle. What's another 12'?

What I really need is a team of roadies to follow me so I can also bring my boat and my daughters clothes and shoes.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Tamara at Blue Ox is an EXCELLENT resource for your bike lift questions, also don't forget to download the weight calculation form off the Blue Ox website.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #6

Hi Jerry!
What color did you get? Red is faster you know. Best bike I have ever owned. I will watch this thread closely as I am up against the same decision. Toad or my enclosed trailer. Gabi is not crazy about just having the bike along.

Ernie and Gabi
2007Essex
2005 BMW 1200 GS red
Old 08-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #7

Grey Granite 2007 BMW R1200GS. This bike is incredible. I did not rent a UHaul trailer. It was in terrible shape and not worth the risk. I made a simple decision and bought a 6.5' X 12' open angle iron utility trailer. On my way to Traverse City tomorrow with just the toad and GS. MH already at my site. Next year I may install a Hydralift for the MH. Triples are illegal in Ohio.

Bob, what is the budget for a new and used 24' stacker?

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 08-18-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
cwg

I also watch this thread as I am yet to carry my BMW R1200 RT in a satisfactory fashion while still pulling my toad. I talked to several stacker owners here at Tiger Run this weekend who mainly own Prevosts, and none of them seem to think the hassle outweighs the convienence of having lots of toys on the road. One fellow's stacker had a price tag of $85K before paint... it even had a reefer on it. I don't want to deal with the issue of parking the trailer somewhere else on the campground premises, even if there is an area for it.

Congrats on the GS. Being in a Colorado rv park in the mountains, it seems yours is the bike of choice after Harley.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bob, what is the budget for a new and used 24' stacker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry Jerry, I just saw this...

My 24' Stacker retails new for something like 85 or 90K with the options.
I paid 35k for this one,as it's a 2005...

Teetering closely on breaking my own rules of no "for sale" ads in the forums, I'll PM you with some interesting news...
Old 08-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Get a toyhauler!! I can carry my Golf Cart and M/C AND still pull 4K toad. Honestly, we wanted a diesel pusher but we were at the same crossroads you are (before we bought the MH), the toyhauler seemed the easiest way out.

Good luck and I will be curious what you end up choosing as this may influence a future descision of ours.

Thanks,
Old 08-23-2007, 06:25 AM   #11

I bought a enclosed trailer for my motorcycles. Its easy to work with and it is just the right size.