Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I also have a new MH being delivered and I expect the driver to sleep in it in his sleeping bag and use the toilet if necessary. Those drivers don't make a lot of money so you won't see them going out and renting a motel room. At -2 I don't see him walking to the rest room in a rest area.

I just talked to a delivery drive that got stuck in the Atalanta mess last week...guess where he spent the night?

For those that are saying that "I wouldn't allow it" do you know how your MH was delivered? As for the generator being run, it is currently 2 below in Indiana and I am sure my delivery driver will run the generator if it will stop him from freezing. At least I will know it is working when it arrives with a few hours on it.

My dealer is going to take 3-4 days checking everything out to make sure everything works.....does that mean I will be buying a used MH?

I hope my delivery driver enjoys the ride and treats it as if it were his own.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I totally agree with Brobox above. I see you posted this on the TRVN network also for responses. The Tiffin magazine "Roughing It Smoothly" introduces Tiffin employees throughout the year. They featured a couple of the delivery drivers (couples in some cases). These people are clean, well spoken and I am sure would not do any harm to your coach. They test the systems and let the dealer know if any issues were found on the trip. They won't have bed bugs!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
hopefully the driver was used frequently for delivering Tiffins and he may be solving some issues for you by notifying the dealer PD department of them before you experienced them. I took delivery of a new Tiffin which had more than the driving miles on it and wish it had gone through more of those 'delivery miles' PDI did fix a number of issues but by the time i got home with it to Arizona from Texas where i took delivery i had a new list. the first year of a new MH is not always the most enjoyable for repairs but now with a year under my belt find nearly all problems are gone. I agree a few hours on the genny and somebody sleeping in the bed or making a meal would only let the delivery dealership know of some issues
Old 02-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am curious how you expected the coach to be delivered and if it was discussed prior or at point of sale?

I bought a used MH from a dealer in Mesa, AZ in 2001, he was unable to complete all of the items prior to my scheduled departure from Mesa back to Kansas City, so they hired a driver to deliver it to me. I received a call about 5 am from KS Highway Patrol inquiring about my 1999 American Eagle from an unknown number. I politely asked for a return phone number so I could verify they were really with the KS Highway Patrol, he rudely stated that wasn't necessary. I simply but politely said I wouldn't confirm any personal information over the phone without confirmation who I was speaking with.

I called the local Troop in our area and was provided the cell number of the Officer who made the original stop. I spoke with the Officer and verified I indeed purchased the unit and it was in transit to arrive that morning. The Officer informed me the driver (65+ Canadian) was stopped for speeding at the toll booth south of Wichita, 40 mph in a 35 mph. Officer didn't believe me that I purchased one and the driver didn't have a bill of sale with him. About 45 minutes later the driver called me almost in tears. The Highway Patrol brought in drug dog and undid the 'j' lounge and sofa, laid a tool box on the dash which tore the dash material and left a blue stain.

When driver arrived at my house about 2 hours late, he was devastated and visibly shaking. The Highway Patrol didn't bother to bolt the furniture back to the floor and literally left them upside down. No drugs found. I was to be leaving that morning for TX Motor Speedway and left late after driving the driver to our airport with the furniture sitting loose in the coach and a torn/stained dash. KS Highway Patrol stated I could file a claim but they may not pay for the reinstallation of the furniture or damage if they had probable cause. The driver stated he only had a carry on bag for the plane ride back to AZ and the Highway Patrol didn't believe he was delivering a motorhome. I am sure drug runners buy $250k motorhomes and 65+ Canadians to run them, but I would trade you for your inconvenience anytime.

I truly felt sorry for the driver, as he was very upset about the entire scenario.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #19
dms

UPDATE!!!

UPDATE!!!

Flew over before the dealer was open this morning to check on status of MH. I'm ashamed, as I was ready to flail him about the situation. Met the driver, who was the nicest fellow I've met in a long while. Turns out he is a long time Tiffin employee, not an unshaven subcontractor like some manufacturers use, and totally knowledgeable about our new rig. He spent nearly an hour before the dealer opened, showing me different aspects of the coach. Explained the tankless water heater, heated floors, and other features I was unfamiliar with. He was quite a salesman and a supreme example of the Tiffin family tradition. I could tell he was proud of the coach and the Tiffin name, and acted as if he had built it himself. His toad was even a new car, not his, but a Tiffin company toad. Very impressive.

DW says I overreacted, and she, (as usual) was right. All the things I've read about Tiffin and the reason we chose Tiffin was proven out by the driver. Heck, if the Tiffin driver is that good, the rest will be easy.

Thanks for all the input on the forum. I hope Bob Tiffin hasn't reacted against anyone before he reads this (if he does), because I'm embarrassed about the whole issue.

All is well and now were ready to enjoy our new coach!!!!! By the way, it's a beauty.
dms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update. That's a nice ending.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #21

I would beat every MH that gets transported out of state get sleep in. And yours want be the first turd in the tank just make them clean it top to bottom.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Nice to hear your driver treated as if it were his own...maybe even better. I think you will find most delivery drivers of upper end coaches in the same class.

I met a couple of delivery drivers after the Entegra factory tour, and I would not have a problem with either one of them driving or sleeping in my MH.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Transport drivers are allowed to sleep in the unit but shouldn't be on the bed. They normally are allowed to stay on the couch. NO appliances, are to be used including the generator. They should not be eating in the coach either.

Didn't see your post before I entered mine but I'm glad it all worked out. Enjoy your new ride.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I asked the question when my coach was being delivered on a two day trek to the dealer. Driver was allow to sleep in the coach but not on the bed. Bed was wrapped in plastic and I wouldn't have wanted to sleep on it anyway. No eating or using the bathroom was allowed as well. My gen had 40 hours on it when it was delivered. Having toured the factory I can tell you they get run a fair amount during final fit and finish.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #25

never owned a new coach, just half way poking fun.. I know mine was not the first turd down the drain because I had to clean the last owners out of the head.
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I ran a MH dealer, there was many a morning when I pulled in to find a new coach waiting with the driver inside and the gen running. Never ever a problem. Coaches were clean, no food, no garbage. Drivers sleep on the sofa or in the captains chair. Mattress is wrapped in plastic anyway. Trust me when I tell you, I would never do their job. Most are subcontractors and have seen some that pull towables and barely cover their expenses. I actually never had this issue come up and frankly never thought about it until this thread. We sold country coach and travel supreme and never had a customer bring it up.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:44 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post
I am curious how you expected the coach to be delivered and if it was discussed prior or at point of sale?

I bought a used MH from a dealer in Mesa, AZ in 2001, he was unable to complete all of the items prior to my scheduled departure from Mesa back to Kansas City, so they hired a driver to deliver it to me. I received a call about 5 am from KS Highway Patrol inquiring about my 1999 American Eagle from an unknown number. I politely asked for a return phone number so I could verify they were really with the KS Highway Patrol, he rudely stated that wasn't necessary. I simply but politely said I wouldn't confirm any personal information over the phone without confirmation who I was speaking with.

I called the local Troop in our area and was provided the cell number of the Officer who made the original stop. I spoke with the Officer and verified I indeed purchased the unit and it was in transit to arrive that morning. The Officer informed me the driver (65+ Canadian) was stopped for speeding at the toll booth south of Wichita, 40 mph in a 35 mph. Officer didn't believe me that I purchased one and the driver didn't have a bill of sale with him. About 45 minutes later the driver called me almost in tears. The Highway Patrol brought in drug dog and undid the 'j' lounge and sofa, laid a tool box on the dash which tore the dash material and left a blue stain.

When driver arrived at my house about 2 hours late, he was devastated and visibly shaking. The Highway Patrol didn't bother to bolt the furniture back to the floor and literally left them upside down. No drugs found. I was to be leaving that morning for TX Motor Speedway and left late after driving the driver to our airport with the furniture sitting loose in the coach and a torn/stained dash. KS Highway Patrol stated I could file a claim but they may not pay for the reinstallation of the furniture or damage if they had probable cause. The driver stated he only had a carry on bag for the plane ride back to AZ and the Highway Patrol didn't believe he was delivering a motorhome. I am sure drug runners buy $250k motorhomes and 65+ Canadians to run them, but I would trade you for your inconvenience anytime.

I truly felt sorry for the driver, as he was very upset about the entire scenario.
That's a really sad story for the driver. I would probably never deliver again after that experience.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

For those that are saying that "I wouldn't allow it" do you know how your MH was delivered? As for the generator being run, it is currently 2 below in Indiana and I am sure my delivery driver will run the generator if it will stop him from freezing. At least I will know it is working when it arrives with a few hours on it.

Seeing how it's used and not a top tier coach. I fully expect that it was delivered by the unshaven dude that probably didn't fill the blinker fluid after delivery and most likely had a 6500 lb truck on the 5000 lb hitch. I have a feeling the toilet and all systems have probably used a fair bit since that time and in the grand scheme of things it's minute. Is a genny with under 500 hours "toast"?

Glad you have a good ending and for the delivery driver of the 99' coach o boy. So was it eventually resolved by the HP/Dealer/Delivery Company/Insurance?

Tags
motorhome