Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #1
dms

New motorhome transport question

Need some guidance. We ordered a new Tiffin MH last November and it was due to be delivered today. Since we live close to the dealer, and are excited to see our new rig, we drove by the dealer in the afternoon. It had not arrived by closing time, so we went to have dinner out and went back by at 7pm.

The coach had arrived after closing time, after dark, and the shades were down, the gen was running and the drivers toad was parked next to it. He was obviously in the coach and sleeping overnight until 8:30am the next morning when the dealer opens.

My understanding is that new manufacturers have a rule of 5 cardinal sins that drivers must not do in a new coach while delivering:

No eating
No sleeping
No Drinking
No peeing
Don't use any appliance, even the microwave for heating food.

Violation of any of these means the unit is used and in some states, cannot be sold "as new".

I understand these guys don't make big money on this job and I can understand that he needed the Gen to stay warm. My peeve is that he added at least 12-14 hours of runtime to my new gen and probably slept in the bed (albeit in a sleeping bag). No telling about whatever else.

I didn't save all these years to buy a once in a lifetime new coach for someone else to begin the "wearaout".

Am I to anal and picky or should I forget it? What should I do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
This is interesting, I think I would of called the owner of the dealership at home.......

Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 AM   #3

Did you take a cell phone delivery of proof? Just in case. I'm not experienced enough to offer any sound advice and wait for the sage members to come. I have a feeling this may be more common then we think. They could claim the genset hours were "testing" if anyone asked. Raises a good question. And will the dealer "make good" and keep their "good will"? Let us know how this turns out. However you are entitled to your emotions/opinions especially when their is a justification (Ie seeing your new home being "pre-tested", opening your garage door and swearing at your neighbor for not living exactly like you or to your standards would be a different issue of course.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
That seems just wrong to me. Hope you got a pic, with audio.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I never thought about it but I know my dealer is a two day drive from the factory and was under the impression that drivers do sleep in them in sleeping bags. That might be preferable as compared to leaving it unattended in a parking lot of a motel. The extra 12 hours or so on the gen won't hurt it. Just sayin.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #6

I've never heard of any such regulations for the delivery of RV's, in fact if you read the website for the new GS delivery service they seem to suggest quite the opposite on the FAQ's for potential drivers.

A unit is not "used" until it's been sold and / or registered to someone.

From a practical point of view, as was mentioned above, I think I'd rather have the delivery driver sleep in the unit than leave it in a motel parking lot.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 AM   #7

let me send you into orbit with two words "bed bugs"
Old 02-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #8

Oh my...GOD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
let me send you into orbit with two words "bed bugs"
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:57 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I am betting sleeping bag on the couch. If the Auto Generator is set properly, I can't imagine why the generator would run for 10 hours...must have been a delivery driver that didn't know better.

Don't think I'd worry about bed bugs or cooties (there are no bed linens under the cover and with the slides in, it is not the easiest thing to do to get into the bedroom and sleep on the bed). The dealership is responsible for a thorough cleaning before delivery.

Would I like to see the expensive beasts put on a low boy and transported to the dealer...you bet! Likely...probably not.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #10

I am a clean freak by nature but I don't think that this would bother me in the least. As far as bed bugs are concerned I wouldn't worry about it in this particular circumstance. Until you investigate it's just an assumption that he or she was sleeping.

Enjoy you "New" coach...don't let this incident impact the excitement of taking ownership..
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
I am a clean freak by nature but I don't think that this would bother me in the least. As far as bed bugs are concerned I wouldn't worry about it in this particular circumstance. Until you investigate it's just an assumption that he or she was sleeping.

Enjoy you "New" coach...don't let this incident impact the excitement of taking ownership..
If people really knew what was in can food they wouldn't let this act of doing the job bother them and if they think MH's delivered with out the driver's using them are not being realistic.Some are driven from East to West,come on if this bother's you then you need not Buy.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I never thought about it but I know my dealer is a two day drive from the factory and was under the impression that drivers do sleep in them in sleeping bags. That might be preferable as compared to leaving it unattended in a parking lot of a motel. The extra 12 hours or so on the gen won't hurt it. Just sayin.
I must agree and with all the problems in new units you know the heater and gen do work.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you would have a better chance of having bedbugs if the driver stopped at a motel for the night and then brought his over night bags back into the motorhome. I would much rather have the driver stay in the motorhome than leave it unattended.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do you know how hard bed bugs are to get rid of?

Once that is all settled, with all of the wet weather we are having, the salt on the under side would worry me much more. If that does not get washed off real well you will be touching up rust spots as long as you own the coach. I know this from first hand experience. Unless you ordered it extra, there is almost no rust protection on a MH. Needless to say, I would be all over the dealer on this issue.

New Cardinal rule, accept no deliveries during the winter.

Tags
motorhome