Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I just bought a 1996 Dutch Star gasoline model 35' and I'm about to take it out on the maiden (for me) voyage. I noticed that the steps go in and out every time I go in and out of the motorhome. How do I keep them out when I am parked? I have tried turning the "steps" switch to off, but they still retract.
panacea97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I just bought a 1996 Dutch Star gasoline model 35' and I'm about to take it out on the maiden (for me) voyage. I noticed that the steps go in and out every time I go in and out of the motorhome. How do I keep them out when I am parked? I have tried turning the "steps" switch to off, but they still retract.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Sounds like the switch is bypassed or bad. Need to check the voltage thru the switch and maybe see in the wiring where they may have bypassed the switch.
Sorry, One other question, Do you have the keys to the coach in the switch on or engine running? If so that is what is making the steps to retract each time you close the door. Turn the engine off and remove the key and see if it behaves like it should. Otherwise, see above.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
panacea97 welcome to irv2
Congratulations on your purchase of a Newmar gas DS.
As the Capt. said the steps will open and close with key in ignition and you should open door than operate step switch to on and your steps should stay open until you put key in ignition to start engine if you forget to operate switch to close steps.
Come on down to the Newmar forum below have lots of Newmar owners to help you out for any further questions.
Can add some KARMA for you if you like.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the advice. The key is out of the ignition and the ignition is off, but the steps keep going in and out each time we open the door. My husband took the switch apart and it looks like the switch is somehow bypassed and the switch is always on. Since we're taking the motorhome out tomorrow for it's first trip we took the switch off of the door and are just leaving the steps retracted until we get more time to fuss with it. I'm getting a little discouraged because the fellow that we bought the motorhome from gave us very little information and we are kind of flying "blind". We have previously had a towable unit, but this is our first motorhome and there is so much to remember!! Another question -- when you hook to shore power do you have to flip any of the fuse switches? Thanks a million for all the help. By the way how do I join the Newmar owner's forum?

Barb
Old 05-30-2007, 01:50 AM   #6

panacea97,

I would like to add my welcome to iRV2.

The steps on my Dutch Star require a very specific sequence of events before they will remain extended when parked. To start with, the step switch is "on", and the engine is off, I open the door, and the steps extend. Then I turn the step switch to the "off" position, and the steps remain extended even if the door is closed.

You should not have to flip any of the circuit breakers inside or on the motor home. The only circuit breakers you need to flip are on the pedestal.

Don't get discouraged. You will soon be comfortable with your new coach. Enjoy.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You do not have to operate any switches when you plug in to CG power you will hear the transfer switch operate your power cord goes into it. You could possibity have a surge protector that will have a 2 min delay also.
We are here to help with any questions so enjoy your MH.
Your Karma is all set.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by panacea97:
I'm getting a little discouraged because the fellow that we bought the motorhome from gave us very little information and we are kind of flying "blind". We have previously had a towable unit, but this is our first motorhome and there is so much to remember!!
Barb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having purchased our first "Pre-owned" Newmar just last year, I can empathize with you! Just post your questions here. Somebody always has a good "Cogent" answer. Welcome aboard! If Sue and I can do it (own a Newmar) so can anybody! This IRV2 forum is a Goldmine.

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote