Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2005, 06:22 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I thought of that and decided to put the seal as close to the edge as possible to try and eliminate a "channel" for the water to run in. Also you will notice I have small cut out in my hood and the seal came really close to that. But, as you say it should work both ways. I ran a hose on my setup for bout 3 to 5 mins and found no water to speak of got through.

How to post the pics. Well I store them on the IRV2 site. Next I view the full size picture, right click on the picture and select "copy image location". You now have the url setting in the clipboard. I have a small text doucument that I use to save the urls of pictures via the paste function. Example - your avatar is located at http://irv2.com/photopost/data/12057...x480-thumb.jpg
and if I had use the "image icon" you wouldn't see the url, just the picture like this

Now, create your post, click the "image icon" and paste the url in proper boxes.

Lastly, I am sending in a "warranty claim" to Newmar for the cost of the seal and a air filter. I asked a couple of dealers to do it and they wouldn't as it was not a Newmar authorzed fix. Meaning they would not get paid for time and materials. So stand by - film at 11
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2005, 07:03 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for info on adding pic's an good luck on your "warranty claim" I called couple of times to tech dept about weather strip they seem to think there cap works better.

"Notice they used tapper head screws on your hinges they may loosen up on you, they should have used flat head screws. "

We know some people have them an they said it doesn't work. At lease we know the strip works because I have driven thru driving rains. --"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #17

We are having the same problem with our Kountry Star. We've had the Newmar "fix" and an additional gasket installed to ward off the water inflow, but the motorhome still cuts out going up a hill when it is raining. We are interested in learning about any solutions.
BernaCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome BernaCarol to irv2.

How did they install the gasket on your hood location? Your front cap is the same as a 03 Newmar,which I have an it works for me and for many others, without the Newmar fix. Did they change your air filter after there fix? I'll stick with you until we resolve your problem. Do you live in the NE? --"007"
Old 05-10-2005, 09:07 AM   #19

I don't know if the cap is the same or not. Sorry. I gave the techs at the Newmar dealer a print-out of materials I had gotten on the Open Roads Forum about how others had solved the problem. They followed the instructions to glue the rubber "gutter" in place, AND they added the part from Newmar, but it hasn't solved our problem.

Sue
Old 05-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #20

I'll go out tomorrow and look at the installation of the bulb weather strip. I'll let you know after I've looked to see if it is the same.

I live in Arkansas.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:51 AM   #21

There is a gasket there. Did Newmar put a gasket on at the factory? It is mashed down but it appears to be bulbous.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:51 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No I placed the bulb style weather strip myself. When I was on a busy hi-way doing about 65 in rain storm the coach suddenly dropped down to 45, not a very good thing with trucks behind you at the same speed. This happen twice second time only a lite rain cause the slow down.

I found this site an looked around an found some RV'ers having same problem. I called Newmar an asked if they had a fix for the problem. They said they did an I passed the info to everyone interested on this site.

Than I went to other rv sites an found the same problem with rain into air intake. None of the fix's dealers or Mfg's were working.

If you look at "oemtech's" picture of tubing he placed his on the hood at the top cutting strip at hinges an continuing to end of hood. he says its working for him like this. If you look at pic again you will notice a space behind the hinge of about 1/2" on the main body of front cap. THIS is where I ran a continuous 6' weather strip along back edge of hood opening of the cap. My air horn screen opening is now after doing this has been raised apporx- 10".

When you close your hood it will compress the bulb strip closeing the upper crack from having any rain allowed to enter above the air intake tube.

Your coach has the same front grill as I, an you should have the same result. I do not have the Newmar fix, I think its cutting down the full air flow to engine, the fix that I have has work for me without it, an no interuption of driving in the rain like I had. Other people have done what I did an its working for them.

Newmar,Fleetwood,Damon,Monaco an others are having this problem on some of there models also on the WH w-20, w-22 chassis. The Ford V-10's had this problem on there chassis also, a fix for theres was to extend the air hole with a piece of aluminum dryer hose up above the grill opening. If you have read the full post you will understand why the problem is happening. I have told where you can buy the strip $15 at any auto store.

You can install the strip yourself just clean the surface where the strip will be placed an guide the strip with your fingers along the back edge of hood opening pulling the paper off the stickey backing as you go. TAKE IT SLOW because when it sticks it WILL STICK ON. If you still need to ask feel free. END --"007"
Old 05-11-2005, 08:42 AM   #23

Thanks! I think we might add another strip and see what happens.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry park ridge I erased your post trying to move this to top.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Sorry park ridge I erased your post trying to move this to top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No Problem, your original "fix" has taken on a new life of it's own

It is still helping us, even though it has been a while since the original thread started.

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
For those of you who may have some questions on rain water in the TUBA I'm posting some pics of mine that I installed in 04.

As you can see the bulb type weather strip goes all the way across the upper lip of hood opening just behind the hinges which have on my coach a 1/2" space behind them. The continues strip will also block any water from getting into your wiper motor plug which some have experienced the crazy wiper control syndrome.

Like I have said when you place this strip in you will raise the horn opening up behind the hood opening, but some people have still had water problems with water getting by the filter box pipe openings, 04,05,06,08 yrs, you will have to seal these openings with some sealant to stop the water access.
This year I installed the CAI from Brazels it has eliminated the TUBA and opened the front of radiator with more air flow.

You can see it has opened up the whole area for more air flow, I have never had a problem with burnt spark plug wires because Newmar is one MFG that left the engine space wide open for plenty of air movement around engine.

The install required cutting the fire wall then installing the new air intake and building up the space under box for support.
The cost of CAI, $495, , I'm just one of those OLD GUYS with money to spend, may be to much for some so the strip will work for you, mine is still there to protect the wiper motor and plug to it.
Hope this helps some of you older coach owners and it isn't just for Newmar owners only I have found other coach MFG's can have water problems on the Workhorse chassis or Fords.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:39 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

007 you strike again "James"

Nice pics! I'm sure this will help a lot of guys.

I had forgotten about the wiper motor connections.

What air filter does your CAI use? I am thinking of getting/making a CAI for mine. (nice winter design project..... I'm not a snowbird just yet)

I'm sorry off topic, PM if u have to.

Cheers,

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I also got feed up with the water intake problems and had the CAI installed. This was done after two newmar fixes over 1.5 years failed to stop the problem and several hours sitting on the side of the road waiting for the rain to stop. I was heading up the Oregon coast last April and could not climb the hills in the rain. Stopped at Brazels and they fixed my problems which made me a happy camper again. Did you attempt to see if newmar would pay the cost of the CAI provided you had warrenty still?
Thanks
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote