Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #29
Monaco Owners Club
Chasfm11, I think you and I are on the same page,for the most part.
I know it's too late now but next year try Royal Tire 407@35 Lewisville. 972-221-0008. That's where my dealer has there's done (B.Gregg). I do not personally know anyone who works there but I've spoken to them by phone and they seem polite.
As much as I hate to say it you are mostly correct about most shops. I was,and can only speak of my shop and how we conducted our business. We were in the customer service business not the auto business or repair business or whatever. We drilled that into our employees and as owners my wife and I were always there. Always! I agree I do not know how someone can invest a million+ dollars in a business and let some untrained kid run it and scare off all your customers. It happens all over.
We were a full service repair shop and I made it a point to stay away from emission failures as some people did adopt the attitude that we were failing them on purpose to get the work. Who needs the aggravation? Not me! We had plenty of other work. When we informed them we did not do emission related repairs they were still upset. Go figure. Some people would even accuse us of getting a kickback if we refered them to a shop that did do repairs.(There was none). However my dentist friend gets a nice vacation every year for the patients he sends to his oral surgeon colleague. I personally don't think the inspection stations should be allowed to do emission related repairs. For the simple reason that it "can" be viewed as a conflict of interest and the industry has alot of skeptics. Why give'em anymore ammo.
There are state recognized emission repair facilities in Texas and I would strongly reccomend them for emission repair. Further the federal gov't has made the mfg's warranty some emission parts for 8yr./80K miles.
Unfortunately the diesel program is on the way.
Where did you get a DPS report?
I know several DPS techs as well as other station owners and have never heard of a DPS tech saying this to a station owner or inspector. Obviously if the station does 700 in a month and they all pass, you know the inspector is not looking at everything he is suppposed to.
We also could draw a sharp distinction between our "regular" customers and the ones who only came in once a year for an inspection. Most folks hate to have to pay the state for "something else" and alot of times they would vent to the inspector or the cashier their displeasure as if they created the laws or could do anything about it. Bottom line they didn't want to be there, but they had to so I was empathetic.
I'll close with my favorite response to a customer complaining about the price of a state inspection:
Cust: "39.50! Why is it $39.50!"
Me: (with a big smile of course) "Because that's as much as the state will let us charge!"
After being taken aback that I wasn't trying to justify a high price more times than not that put a smile on their face and sometimes we both laughed. That's what it's all about. You can't take yourself to serious...

2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ

2004 Z71 Tahoe
HPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2008, 06:22 PM   #30
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is too funny. Guess where I got my DP inspected?? Royal Tire. Guess how I found them? I called Buddy Gregg. I figured that they were close enough and had enough of a volume to know someplace that could handle the work. I was very pleased with how the manager (owner?) at Royal was able to work me in. I'll be taking all of my business to him and recommending him to others.

I'm sure that your shop and probably many others do exactly as you described. It is a shame that honest and forthright operations are cast into the same lot as the bottom of the food chain ones that many of us have dealt with.

My neighbor is a long time resident of the area and has a family member in the business who received the DPS "counseling". Since this is a public forum, I'm not going to supply any names. I don't know the specific circumstances personally but my neighbor is not the kind to embellish the truth.

I agree - we cannot take ourselves too seriously. I have a long RV trip coming up soon for which I've been planning for over a year. I have all kinds of reservations and arrangements in a bunch of States and even Ontario. This little fiasco with the inspection almost gave me heart failure because I could have been trying to drive to many places without a valid inspection sticker - through no fault of my own. I don't maintain my RV because I want to pass State inspections, I make sure that everything works because:
a. I'm AR and cannot do it any another way
b. I'm the one traveling in it and I want neither breakdowns nor problems. I want every light working because I depend on all of them to help me ward off the idiots on the roads. I'm the one who cannot see out of the windshield of the wipers don't work, I'm the one who cannot warn other drivers if the horn doesn't work (love them air horns) and I'm the one who will die if CO fumes from a defective muffler get up inside. I've never understood why anyone wouldn't want to maintain their vehicle. I would view flunking a State inspection for any legitimate reason as a personal indictment for carelessness and I promise you that it would take me a long time to get over jeapordizing myself or my family because of that carelessness.

I personally am not a regular customer anywhere. I use Roger Dearing in Grapevine for the automotive repairs that I don't want to do myself. I wish that there were someone like him this area You'll never find a more honest guy. I've tried to talk him into moving his shop to Lewisville and doing RV repairs but he won't hear of it. So.... I'm one of the ones who only shows up at a shop once a year for inspection. I'm also one of the ones who can count on one hand the number of breakdowns in over 30 years of self maintenance and many vehicles over 100K miles with nary a single breakdown that was due to a maintenance related item.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #31
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I suspect that if TX DPS gave any of the inspection stations the option to charge $50 for an RV inspection, they eagerly do the inspections for that price. When I spoke earlier in one of my posts about "be careful what you wish for", that was one of the possible outcomes that I would expect if I got politicians involved. It is bad enough to have the hassles and a $15 charge. I would really be fried if it were $50 because I'm positive that wouldn't eliminate anything but the availability problem.

2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi. Feel lucky, all. Here in Cowhampshire, we used to get inspected twice a year, 10 bucks ea. time. Well the Gov't had a good Idea, and said let's just do it once a year. Great !! Only the inspection stations , SOMEHOW, came up w/ an excuse about it taking more time, and, you guessed it charged 20 bucks for the once a year inspection !! Now it's up to $35.00, for a car, and up to $85.00 for a MH !!!!!!!!!!!!! Show me da money !! Robbie
'08 Fleetwood Providence 40X

'06 AWD Saturn Vue-toad
riggarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
Enough said. Hope you have a good trip. We just got back from the NorthEast. $5.10 a gal. for Diesel in upstate N.Y. 4.46 in Virgina...
Safe travels.

2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ

2004 Z71 Tahoe
HPH is offline   Reply With Quote