Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

New set of shoes

Purchased my Michelin XZA2 tires for my drive axle last Friday and posting this for general information. Bought them using the fleet program currently going on through Monaco International as previously detailed in a post by Mike Canter. The process to join MI took a few weeks to get done but buying the tires was nice and easy. Those of you that are interested in Michelin's really ought to take advantage of this. Big time savings.

Dealer wouldn't buy my carcasses so I'm going to pick them up and try selling myself. Apparently 295/80R22.5's aren't in high demand around Omaha. At least I saved the disposal fee. Had the wheels spin balanced and was surprised to see weights on my aluminum rims. Two weights on each outer rim, 180 degrees from each other. Asked the tire dude and he said they were six and twos. Started out being six and six but then they broke the bead and got it down to where they are now. Not clear what that means but I didn't expect so much weight.

The coach really rides like a dream now. Didn't expect to feel a difference but I sure can. The fact that I had no weights on those wheels before says to me that the G670's were never balanced. Now I've got a sweet ride and peace of mind.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Can you give us the difference in cost? ...Peace...D

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco International have asked that the discount prices not be published BUT I can tell you that I shopped around and got the lowest price I could get and the Monaco International price was $100 cheaper on each tire. Ya going to put Monaco emblems on that Gulfstream (lol)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Bob. I am glad it worked out for you. As far as the balance weights out of the eight tires I bought I believe I had three tires that took no weights, four that took right at two oz each and one that took maybe four oz. When you figure the size of the tire and wheel that is very little weight. The big thing is that they are balanced. I didn't find any balance weights on my previous Monaco factory installed G670's either.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi Mike and everyone else,

Before you ask, I'm not thinking of putting Monaco stickers on the Vista , but I do have a question about who's eligible for the discount. Forgive me if it's a dumb question, but we're new to RVing, and I don't know all the ins and outs about so many things.

My sister and her husband have a new-to-them 2006 (I think) Holiday Rambler. And they need new tires before our big trip in late August. Are Holiday Rambler owners eligible to join Monaco International? That $600.00 savings could be put toward more fuel for the trip and other goodies.

Thanks,
Fran
Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

You have to join the Monaco International Club and to do that you have to own a Monaco product which does include Holiday Rambler. You have to send them a copy of your registration to prove it. Believe me it is well worth the $45 to join. You have to go to a factory authorized Michelin Truck Tire store and get them.

Go here and look in the lower left corner
Welcome to Monaco International RV Club

You can find a authorized Michelin dealer here but putting in the zip code
Welcome to Michelin North America RV Website

Just kidding on putting Monaco stickers on your Vista. I got eight tires and it saved me a bunch.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Mike,

Thanks so much for the reply. As soon as I post this I'm going to e-mail a link to this thread to my sister. They still have to buy a toad - and all that goes with it - so anything that says them money is welcome. Too bad I can't find some group to join. My Wrangler needs new shoes before we head out in late August.

Fran
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #8

mike,

This is my first venture into IRv2 so forgive any mistakes please. I am Fran's sister who is looking for the Michelin tires. Have a HR B+ Aususta. I have found the 235/85R on line for 186.00 a piece w/ a total $70.00 rebate. Do you know if the Michelin discount thru Monaco would result in a better price. I dont belong to Monaco Club so would have to join. Thanks, Oma
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oma, please check your private messages
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nobody would buy my old 295/80R22.5 take-offs either. Said no trucks or trailers use them and that is the only market for regrooved or retreaded tires.

I replaced my 295/80's on the rear with 11R22.5's. That is a common truck/trailer tire and priced much better than a 295/80 - about $200 less expensive per tire. The dimensions are almost identical but the carrying capacity is a bit lower and so needs higher pressure for the same weight. I couldn't use them on my front axle because they don't go quite high enough for the 13,600 lb front axle but they are fine for the rear 920k lbs total).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Bob. I am glad it worked out for you. As far as the balance weights out of the eight tires I bought I believe I had three tires that took no weights, four that took right at two oz each and one that took maybe four oz. When you figure the size of the tire and wheel that is very little weight. The big thing is that they are balanced. I didn't find any balance weights on my previous Monaco factory installed G670's either.
On my last set of tires they put a bag of beads in them to balance. Said after running the beads break down to a powder which goes to the spot needed to balance, has anyone had these before and do they work? Thanks, be safe, Don
Old 07-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The dynamic balancing products work fine. Trucks & RVs have been using Equal powder for many years and newer products like Dynabeads (they don't break down to powder) work equally well. I got Equal in last last set of tires.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote