Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 04:57 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
try wally world

Try walmart for seals..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #16

Believe it or not. I have a variety of Camco Rv products. Including the sewer hose. Very happy with it. Seems to be a more solid plastic. Never had a pinhole issue. That along with the toilet chemicals. Very easy to keep clean. Of course if you move around a lot. Maybe what your using is better.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Believe it or not. I have a variety of Camco Rv products. Including the sewer hose. Very happy with it. Seems to be a more solid plastic. Never had a pinhole issue. That along with the toilet chemicals. Very easy to keep clean. Of course if you move around a lot. Maybe what your using is better.
We are often moving. I can't get more than two years out of a hose. I have spent a lot of time in TX. The ground there is full of hazards and that could be part of the reason. But, so many hoses of all brands just split at the seam or spring pin hole. I was hoping this new produce would fair better for a longer time. It might if I could get the dump water into the blasted thing to begin with. I try so hard not to be rough on the hose so I know it is not carelessness with the others failing.

The gasket for the Smartdrain is unique because it is so thick and is not a 'o' ring but more like a canning jar seal. The idea is good. The material used is poor and the mounting arrangement for the seal is totally without thought; double stick tape . I looked around the Walmart camping supplies section yesterday and didn't see any gaskets. Either they don't have any or I missed them.

I will now wait for replies from the feelers I have put out. If I come up with a valid solution I will post it here.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could NOT be happier with the Drain Master solution
Excellent hose and even better got rid of the junk bayonet locking system forever
Their Cam lock system is far Superior and easier to get on/off
Old 11-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rv sewer hose fitting gasket set CAMCO pn 39834 and 39835. I got mine from walmart. Includes an assortment of different sizes for different brands of hose fittings. I used orings from napa until i found this kit.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJINTF View Post
Could NOT be happier with the Drain Master solution
Excellent hose and even better got rid of the junk bayonet locking system forever
Their Cam lock system is far Superior and easier to get on/off
X2 the cam loc system it's great. In fact I modified many complete water system to use camlocs.
spinn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Called Thetford yesterday. A new, redesigned adapter is on the way. I'll post a picture when I get it.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
Old 11-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
Rv sewer hose fitting gasket set CAMCO pn 39834 and 39835. I got mine from walmart. Includes an assortment of different sizes for different brands of hose fittings. I used orings from napa until i found this kit.
Thanks Dan. Next time I'm in Walmart I'll take a closer look. Not all the stores have RV sections but I think the one I am going to these days does. Just how extensive?

Rick Y
Old 11-12-2014, 04:06 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
2 years ago I tried to like that system but I could not get the fittings to stop leaking. I tried Vaseline, repositioning, crossing fingers etc and could not get it to stop. Maybe they are better now.
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
I got the replacement adapter yesterday. I am not impressed. I think the foam gasket is slightly denser and the glue may be stronger but time will tell if it will last. When I replaced the existing adapter I found the gasket that was damaged the day I installed it was not GONE!

Here is a picture of what I received. As I have stated, I am not deeply impressed. The one on the right is the new one. Even my dog is waiting this one out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartDrain adapter.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	79319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dawson.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	79320  

Old 12-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Thetford SmartDrain is a bust! Since my previous posts I have dumped several times. Each time, starting with the very first, a gush of black water erupts from the seal then stops and the tank drains. Then I close the valve for the clean flush water to do its thing. When I open the valve the fountain gushes momentarily and then the tank drains down the hose. This is the most unsanitary system I have ever used. Don't wast your money (as I did).

Rick Y
Old 12-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
My first Rhino fell apart at the seams at 9 months. I found a Rhino left in a park 4-5 years ago and it is still in great condition................
I had to buy my second Rhino hose about 4-5 years ago after I left my first one at a CG. The first one was great till I lost it, and the second one is still going strong. I'm convinced it's the best sewer hose I've ever owned.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #27

Dominator is cost effective and just plain works.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Thetford SmartDrain is a bust! Since my previous posts I have dumped several times. Each time, starting with the very first, a gush of black water erupts from the seal then stops and the tank drains. Then I close the valve for the clean flush water to do its thing. When I open the valve the fountain gushes momentarily and then the tank drains down the hose. This is the most unsanitary system I have ever used. Don't wast your money (as I did).

Rick Y
I hate to tell you after the fact that this thread caused me to look the product up on Amazon and its reviews are uniformly poor.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote