Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have spent most of the day so far going eyeball to eyeball with tire dealers trying to get the best tires and pricing for our Winnebago Brave. Probably going to go with a 'known' brand...either Michelin (which I currently have) or Bridgestone. I found some suprises in pricing but most were pretty close. The tires I have been pricing are the Michelin XZE and the Bridgestone R250, both in 247/70R19.5's in LRF. Have also seen the Michelins XRV listed but haven't looked up the difference yet. Anybody know what the difference in the VZE and XRV is?
Is there any reason to chose one of these tires over the other? From previous research, it seems like these two brands might be a bit better at fighting the UV and ozone induced rot than some of the other brands. Anybody confirm that and/or give reasons behind that?
I can get the Bridgestones for a bit less than the Michelins but that isn't an overiding fact when you consider the overall picture and would certainly pay a bit more for a better tire, ride, savety, etc.
BTW...both of the dealers are proposing using balancing powder such as Equal in them...Good idea or bad?
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, comments, etc.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have spent most of the day so far going eyeball to eyeball with tire dealers trying to get the best tires and pricing for our Winnebago Brave. Probably going to go with a 'known' brand...either Michelin (which I currently have) or Bridgestone. I found some suprises in pricing but most were pretty close. The tires I have been pricing are the Michelin XZE and the Bridgestone R250, both in 247/70R19.5's in LRF. Have also seen the Michelins XRV listed but haven't looked up the difference yet. Anybody know what the difference in the VZE and XRV is?
Is there any reason to chose one of these tires over the other? From previous research, it seems like these two brands might be a bit better at fighting the UV and ozone induced rot than some of the other brands. Anybody confirm that and/or give reasons behind that?
I can get the Bridgestones for a bit less than the Michelins but that isn't an overiding fact when you consider the overall picture and would certainly pay a bit more for a better tire, ride, savety, etc.
BTW...both of the dealers are proposing using balancing powder such as Equal in them...Good idea or bad?
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, comments, etc.

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have Michelin XZE 2+ on the front. After 33K+ miles they look like new (tread and sidewall). They ride very smooth. The dealer did the lead weight balancing and everything has been perfect.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt Joe:
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, comments, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If they go with equal, make sure they change to valves that are compatible. Standard valves can get the powder in them causing them to leak.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #5

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Go with the Michelin better brand and excellant tire wear
Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #6

I faced a similar problem last year. I priced both Michelin and Goodyear. I had Michelin XZA on the motor home and they also looked great but were too old (10 yrs). I ended up choosing Goodyear 670RV tires and was very impressed with the improved ride. Both the Goodyear and Michelin "RV" tires are supposed to be better at fighting off the effects of the sun. I am happy with our choice, and the ride improvement alone is worth the price.

Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote