Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #1

I'm looking for new tires and one place wants to put steering tires in all six locations on my rig. What advantage are steering tires and why would anyone put steering tires on any location other than the front?
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #2

I'm looking for new tires and one place wants to put steering tires in all six locations on my rig. What advantage are steering tires and why would anyone put steering tires on any location other than the front?
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The only advantage of steering tires on the rears is that you can rotate them to the front if needed in the future.

But most all tires are steering tires and this is rarely an issue. Non-steering tires are generally made available only through truck services and are primarily for trailers, though they are sometimes also used on the rears of semi's. The real question is why have non-steerable tires at all? The answer is that steering tires have to be able to change direction easily and handle variable side loads. Among other things, that requires a very flexible sidewall and a tread design that can change track readily. A tire that is never placed on a steering axle is freed from those requirements and can utilize different tread and sidewall designs and be optimized for other factors. High performance vehicles, for example, may want to have extremely high traction tires on the rear (drive) axle.

Rotating tires is non-issue when you use up a set of tires in a year or less (commercial trucking), but most RVers keep their tires for several years and may find a need to rotate a slightly worn front tire to the rear.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #4

Steering tires are designed to carry a heavier load since all commercial trucks have their engines in front and are required to use this type, most of us have rear pushers, where a steering tire is not needed since weight is on duals.
ron dzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #5

Most newer tires, especially those made for the RV market are All position tires. I can't see why you would need "steering" tires at all. It is more important to make sure you get a good quality tire in the proper load range for your RV and its load.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 02:12 AM   #6

alpine4us, here is a bit of 2006 information about tires. It includes most manufacturers and most sizes and postions. You may find it helpful in looking for your tire replacements. I found it very useful in identifying replacements for our coach because the load info is included.

Steering tires and all position tires appear to be the same quality and capacity. There is a distinct difference in drive tires and steering/all position tires. As noted already, the construction for those is different than the steering/all position tires.

I replaced all of our tires with Continental HSLs which are steering/all position. Might have gotten off cheaper by putting drive tires on the rear axle, but in the event I need to rotate tires (don't see that happening, but it could) I would have better options than if I had drive tires on the rear axle.

http://www.randallpub.com/overdrive/..._specs_new.pdf