Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New tires

Today, I checked my tires on my motorhome and the DOT code 4203 which means the tires are 6 1/2 years old and 20,000 miles. I have checked them and no side wall cracking. Should I replace them? I have heard they should be replaced anywhere from 5 years, 7 years or 10 years.
Currently they are Goodyear G670 245/70R19.5. Any comments on these Goodyear tires or Yokohoma, Michelin or other tire brands?
Thanks ...................

TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been told that the maximum age is 7 years. We bought our coach last year. It had 5 year old Goodyear tires that looked like brand new. Because I didn't know the history of the tires, I went to our local Goodyear tire dealer, and he put Dunlop tires on. Dunlop and Goodyear are essentially the same tire. Because my old tires looked so good, he gave me $100.00 a tire for them. We are very pleased.

Now, you'll get opinions about which tire is the best tire, which tire handles best, etc., but in my opinion, of utmost importance, the best tire on your coach is a new tire.

I am terrified of blowouts. I will not keep a tire on my coach more than 5 years. If I feel that I have hit anything, even banged the tire against a curb, that tire is not on my coach. I hit a bad crack in the highway last fall that literally shook our teeth when we hit it, and I seriously considered immediately changing the front tires before we continued on our trip.

I want to add that when you buy new tires, insist that they put the large Dynabeads in all the tires. Make sure that it's the large Dynabeads. If they don't know what Dynabeads are, find them on the website, buy them yourself, and give them to the tire dealer to put in. Nothing keeps the tires continuously in perfect balance as the large Dynabeads.

Jim Sanderson
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36'
FMCA 407500
Canada, eh?

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my 2003 Michelins with Yokahamas. The Michelins were starting to show some sidewall checking and I didn't want to take a chance. The reason I went with Yokahamas is that, in my opinion, Michelins have a greater propencity toward cracking and checking.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:33 AM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXredfish View Post
Today, I checked my tires on my motorhome and the DOT code 4203 which means the tires are 6 1/2 years old and 20,000 miles. I have checked them and no side wall cracking. Should I replace them? I have heard they should be replaced anywhere from 5 years, 7 years or 10 years.
Currently they are Goodyear G670 245/70R19.5. Any comments on these Goodyear tires or Yokohoma, Michelin or other tire brands?
Thanks ...................
I had the exact same situation on my last class A. I would take it to the tire dealer once a year to have them inspected. He always told me to keep running them and come back for a check again next year. They were still just fine when I sold it. IMHO Goodyear is the way to go. I had a set of Michelins that needed to be replaced in 3600 miles for sidewall cracking. They would not stand behind their product. The dealer told me side wall cracking was a problem with Michelins, so I bought a new set of Goodyears to replace them. The dealer sold all the major brands. You will get a lot opinions on your question, but my advice stay away from Michelin.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #5

I just bought a 2001 MH with 30,000 miles and the original tires on it. There is plenty of tread and very small hard to see cracks. I will stay with the Michelin XRV because of how well these tires held up. I drove this MH home 800 miles after purchase. I'm lucky I didn't have any tire problems.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I e mailed Michelin and they told me to change tires at 10 years regardless of miles. Sooner it they have cracking.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
embmac

I just replaced my XRV Michelins. They were 10 years old. I didn't have a problem with them and they had no sidewall cracks. I just didn't want to take a chance on them. I up sized from a 235/80/22.5 to a Michelin XZA2 energy tire in a 275/70/22.5
Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think any tire should be on any coach more than 5 to 7 years no matter how good the tire appears to be.

Jim Sanderson
Canada, eh?
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
paz

I don't know about Goodyear, but Michelin recommends replacing RV tires after 10 years no matter what they look like - sooner if they exhibit cracking or other signs of damage. The following is a quote from the RV Tire Guide available on the Michelin web site:

"While most tires will need replacement before they
achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in
service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture,
including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple
precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if
they have not reached the legal wear limit."

The guide also has techniques you can use to inspect the tires. If in doubt, have the tires professionally inspected.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote