Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
New tires - balance rear duals?

I am getting ready to replace all 6 tires on my MH. One of the tire places I called asked if I wanted to have the rear duals balanced. He said about 90% of his customers did not. What have you done?

2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V Workhorse
2010 Chevy Equinox
Larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I just had all six of my Michelins replaced with new XZE's and all were balanced for $17.50 each. We didn't even consider not balancing the duals because I would think that an out of balance dual will cause undue wear for the tire and a poor ride. The shop's owner said that they do a lot of motorhomes and he always recommends all around balancing.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA
Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
Brake Buddy Advantage,
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Thanks. I am planning on having all tires balanced for the reasons you mentioned. I was just surprised at the question.
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V Workhorse
2010 Chevy Equinox
Larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always balance all wheels also-

I have "Equal" balancing media in mine now. Works great. .

If, and when I do it again, I'll use the newer ceramic media.

Good luck,
Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most places don't balance rear duals. As a matter of fact (and I'm sure this will stir up a lot controversy) a Michelin seminar I went to said it is not necessary to balance the front tires. A balance weight of a few ounces will not make much difference on a 200 lb wheel.
After my experience, I believe them.
I had new front tires put on my coach and they put equal in the tires. I had a terrible shimmy afterward. I called them and was told to drive awhile and the equal would balance out. It didn't. I went back and had the equal removed. I drove 65 miles to a place to have my tires balanced. The coach was smooth as silk all the way. I had the tires balanced anyway, but it didn't make any difference.
Joe & Loretta Fischer
2015 Thor Citation 29TB
JoeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
I did not have my duals balanced either and the reasearch I did says it is not neccesary. The tireshop I dealt with said it was not required either.

Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
I balance all tires. Out of balance tires can cost $s by increasing the wear and tear on suspension components (springs, shocks, air bags, etc). Since I'm the one who pays for suspension component replacement, I'll continue to balance all tires.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
I balanced all of mine with equal and have a very smooth ride. However, I grew up in a bus shop and no operators I know ever balanced the duals.
Smyrna GA
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I understand it, the theory is that in most cases the two tires on the duals essentially counter-balance each other. Plus it is such a massive weight (two tires and wheels are 400+ lbs) that only a severe imbalance is going to affect it much anyway. Obviously there could always be a case where both tires were out of balance in the same orientation, but odds are high against that.

But I'll still probably balance the duals when I replace them next year.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
How about when you want to move one of the rear's to the front for some reason while out there on the road somewhere, which is exactly what I would do, instead of putting my old spare on the front if a road hazard was encountered. Then, I would be good to go until which time I found a matching replacement especially if I needed the right dealer for warranty replacement.
At least there would be some kind of balance on the drive wheel in question.
Having said all that, Michelin is a manufacture that does not have a seam anywhere in the molding so they pretty much are in balance from the factory, but that doesn't necessarily make them a superior tire. In fact, I would much rather have Bridgestone's, but run Goodyear's for the price difference and there's not a thing wrong with this sometimes preferred brand, either.
07 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_C9 Clatterpillar_ Allison 3000
1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (SOLD)
Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Just my $ .02 I would balance all. Heck I had all five tires on my trailer. The tire guy thought I was nut's too. I guess it's just peace of mind when going down the highway.

Wayne & Marti , Yogi Dog Ford 2012 F350 PSD Old Blue ....Mobile Suite 2012 38 REB3 w/ Vanity Slide Peotone , Illinois VIET NAM VET 1st CAV 70-71
yogi154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a firm believer in balancing all tires.. Don't cost much and can make a big difference in how it rides, also affects wear and tear on moving parts, suspension and the tire iteself.. balanced is simply better in my not very humble opinion.

That said.. I am not sure it is as important on the big tires on a motor home as it is on the smaller tires on a car... but I'd still balance.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My dually has 6 tires and they are all balanced, the trailer has 4...balanced.

If it rotates, it needs to be balanced. Even with a 150# tire, a couple of ounces of weight make a big difference due to the unbalanced forces. The few ounces results in big shaking forces.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
I was able to feel an out of balance tire on my duals.

Dad, Mom, The Girl, and The Boy. '07 Damon Daybreak 3276, Suzuki XL7.
4gone is offline   Reply With Quote