Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
New tires, valve stem leak, tire damaged?

Good afternoon,
Yesterday morning I had all six tires replaced with new Michelin XZA2 energy tires. I brought the motorhome home around noon and around 4:30 I noticed that the right curbside rear dual looked funny. Checked the pressure and of course all the air was out of the tire. Wow I was mad at that point. $3400.00 and to have that happen kind of torqued me off. Aired it up to about 60psi and checked for leaks with soapy water and found the stem was leaking where it hooks to the air stem extension. Tightened it up and re aired the tire to 90 psi which is what the inflation/load table from Michelin says I should be at for the weight. Yes I had the motorhome weighed.
Since the tire was basically flat do you think it could have damaged the sidewall? It had air coming home and I looked at it when I got home and didn't notice anything so it lost the air the air in about 4 1/2 hours sitting there.
Concerned with it sitting down like that could have done something to the tire.
What would you do? Monitor it closely or take it back and demand a new tire. Hate to think it might have damaged the tire and I'm going to pay for it with a blowout down the road.
I would really appreciate your opinion.
Thanks Letsgoagain

04 HR Ambassador 38 PDQ ISC 330 Cummins,
09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited,
Letsgoagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
You may want to take it back, tell them what happened and ask them to remove the tire so they can exam the inside of the sidewalls. If the inside and outside of the sidewall have no damage or bulges, it should be OK.

Ask them to put in writing that the tire has no damage and is OK. If they won't, ask them nicely if they want to please replace it.

2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Letsgoagain,

Gut feel says you will have no problem with the tire that lost all its' air. My concern is for the tire that was holding up all the static weight, all by itself. I'd go one step farther than Jim posted. I'd ask them to check the tire that did not go flat. Personally, I feel you are okay. I would lose no sleep over this.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As long as the tire was not completely on flat with the rim setting on the thread, and you did not drive it, I would not worry about the tire. You do need to tell the shop about the problem and how lucky they were with you just letting the rig set.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
Thanks all for your replies. I have called the shop that did the tire replacement and politely let them know I wasn't very happy about the stem being loose.They assured me that the tire wasn't damaged since it wasn't driven on flat.
Since I'm getting ready to travel across this great country I decided to take it back in anyway to have the tire inspected. Better safe then sorry and for my peace of mind this also persuaded me to buy the pressure and temp sensor system for the tires that has been the subject of some recent posts.
I'll let you know how the shop visit goes and the findings.
04 HR Ambassador 38 PDQ ISC 330 Cummins,
09 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited,
Letsgoagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two schools of thought.. First, since you did not drive on the flat tire the flat tire is NOT damaged

It's partner, however, may be... If you park Jacks Down, so the jacks take some of the load off the duals, you should be OK If not. Tire "Experts" tell me you should replace the other tire in the pair... However that said, I did not and have seen no evidence of damage
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
If your tires can't handle that problem without suffering damage then you need to get another brand.

Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote