Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

New to MH Buying - Class A versus Class C

Looking to purchase a slightly used or new MH. We have 4 kids and will need the extra sleeping capacity hence why Class C's have more appeal. However, we also found an entry class A that also has extra room. We are currently having a hard time deciding between the 2013 Fleetwood Storm 32H and the 2013 Fleetwood Tioga Ranger 31D. Some have also encouraged us to look at Forest River Sunseeker 3170DS.

I was hoping other could share their opinions on
> class A versus Class C
> positive or negative experiences with the models and brands mentioned above
>if there are other makes or models that may stand up better against the test of time as we are looking to own it for 10-15yrs before we can hopefully trade up to a bigger class A when the children go off to college.

Thank you in advance for your shares!
clinic711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As you know, very generally speaking, a Class C provides more sleeping arrangements than a Class A. That's the irony of it all. The bigger the rig, the fewer people it is designed to sleep.

I'm sure some of our experts will be along to offer first hand experience for you.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First suggestion I'd make. Rent both types you are considering for long weekend trips. I think you will learn how either may work and sleeping arrangements won't be the only topic you find important. It may seem like extra money spent but well worth it. Plan on driving them a bit over various terrains but you don't have to go very far.

If you buy used find a reputable 3 rd party inspector or old hand experienced RV'er to kick the tires with you.

Good luck.

Jack
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi clinic711,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider placing the coaches interiors in:

1. travel mode (the slides and furniture ready to travel). Where are the seat belts? Where will everyone sit. Can one access the bathroom with the slides closed. Can the kids devices be charged while being used and traveling down the road, etc..

2. sleep mode - Make all the furniture into their bed position. Can this be done? Will everyone have a comfortable place to sleep?

3. Living mode slides out and furniture in the use position. Will there be enough room to eat, play and live in the coach.

Usually these tests will conclude with the cream rising to the top.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #5

Search through old posts....this question gets asked a dozen times a year. Class C: easier to park, depending on size, and the convenience of a van like cab, with normal entry doors etc. Also they tend to be cheaper. Class As are a smoother ride, offer more storage, more floor plan options, more space and more of just about everything else you can think off. Drive a Class A first, then drive a Class C of a similar size, and chances are you'll like the A....but only you can tell.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
First suggestion I'd make. Rent both types you are considering for long weekend trips. I think you will learn how either may work and sleeping arrangements won't be the only topic you find important. It may seem like extra money spent but well worth it. Plan on driving them a bit over various terrains but you don't have to go very far.

If you buy used find a reputable 3 rd party inspector or old hand experienced RV'er to kick the tires with you.

Good luck.

Jack
Renting is a good option. Having owned both it's hard to advise someone in what will work for them. Good advise above, just search around there's plenty out there don't get too hasty, just be patient. Good luck, let us know how you do and what you decide.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll throw in my 2 cents. You are looking at large Class C's With 6 of you RVing you could be up to or over the gross vehicle weight limit in a Class C (and possibly a small Class A)...check out the GVWR and vehicle weight before buying! What are the fresh water, gray and black tank sizes? Are they "big" enough for a family of six? You stated you will keep the MH for 10-15 years. Your "kids" will be "adult-sized" by then. Will they still fit in their "bunks" at night, when they are that old?

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi clinic711,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider placing the coaches interiors in:

1. travel mode (the slides and furniture ready to travel). Where are the seat belts? Where will everyone sit. Can one access the bathroom with the slides closed. Can the kids devices be charged while being used and traveling down the road, etc..

2. sleep mode - Make all the furniture into their bed position. Can this be done? Will everyone have a comfortable place to sleep?

3. Living mode slides out and furniture in the use position. Will there be enough room to eat, play and live in the coach.

Usually these tests will conclude with the cream rising to the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
I'll throw in my 2 cents. You are looking at large Class C's With 6 of you RVing you could be up to or over the gross vehicle weight limit in a Class C (and possibly a small Class A)...check out the GVWR and vehicle weight before buying! What are the fresh water, gray and black tank sizes? Are they "big" enough for a family of six? You stated you will keep the MH for 10-15 years. Your "kids" will be "adult-sized" by then. Will they still fit in their "bunks" at night, when they are that old?

Fran
This is some of the best advice I've seen about the "A" vs "C" debate. The growing into the coach as you get older definitely should be on the list of "will this work in say 5, 10 or 12 years" or will you need to trade up before you hit that mark. You take your biggest hit in a new one just like any purchase whether it be an RV or vehicle. If you can afford a bigger used one that fits the bill and checks out with your mechanic that might be a great road to go. This way someone else takes the hit but you get the benefits. Whatever you decide, let us know and enjoy your travels.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #9

I will say, having looked at a great many but not purchased anything yet, here are my observations (gas for gas, DPs are a whole 'nother ballgame):

Class A gas generally has:
1. MUCH larger fuel tank (80 vs 55 gallon)
2. More comfortable seating (especially driver/passenger)
3. More comfortable ride
4. More weight capacity as previously mentioned
5. Marginally better fresh/grey/black tanks
6. Mostly (but not always) a full frame in the rear. Important if you want to tow something
7. 19.5 or 22.5 inch tires
8. 3v V10 vs the 2v PI V10

Now, some of the new Class As have the drop down bunks, a la the Forest River FR3 and Thor ACE. Lots of manufacturers are catching on and adding it as an option.

Also consider this: We had previously looked at some of the 30+ft C's before looking at the gas Class As. The price difference in todays market is almost indistinguishable. Comparing the FR3 we looked at to our Sunseeker 3170 rental? Well, no comparison, the FR3 is a much nicer rig for not a lot more scratch.

Food for thought.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #10

Now mfgrs. of class A coaches are producing models with bunk-beds, in addition to your own bedroom, which might be appealing. It would eliminate the tedious process of making a bed out of the booth dinette every evening, resulting in more seating room early every morning for coffee and donuts while the kids are still sleeping.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #11

you are going to find what was sade well stand out the most

3. More comfortable ride very much so
4. More weight capacity as previously mentioned yes with 4 kide mom and dad there stuff and the need to tow a car as you are not going to drive the RV out for food and sit seeing
5. Marginally better fresh/grey/black tanks there well be parks you well want to go to and this well all so stand out with 6 in a RV

class A all the way but no matter what you do doo some thing and get out there as i wish my dad would have been there to do this for me when i was a kide
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #12

Look more toward a Super C with a family, Nexus recently put out The Ghost....check it out, better capacity than an A......
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Like just about anything else we purchase, we want to get it right the first time!! Unfortunately, what's right today is not so right tomorrow. I'd venture to say your going to purchase a Class C. It's the most popular pick for most RVer's starting out. It's less expensive and has more sleeping room for a family. You can still haul a ski boat or other toys on a trailer. Later in life when kids are gone and retirement dreams kick in, you will probably want to move up to the Class A. That's if your still into RVing?