Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

I know they make a book...I bought the book. And I read the book. But still I have questions.

For starters, we hooked the water hose up to the "city water" - and filled 'er up. Is it safe/economical to travel with this filled? Don't we have to have some in there for flushing?

Also, the TV deal. HMMMM. For a 1990 it sure seems way over my head. There is a switch box up by the front TV - ? Any advice?

And we already drug the steps off. Any suggestions on replacing those? Do they sell just the straight pieces on the side to put them back on with?

Scared to death to use the washer/dryer. One AC we can get on but the other one never does anything. Think it's broke?

Any tips or advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #2

I know they make a book...I bought the book. And I read the book. But still I have questions.

For starters, we hooked the water hose up to the "city water" - and filled 'er up. Is it safe/economical to travel with this filled? Don't we have to have some in there for flushing?

Also, the TV deal. HMMMM. For a 1990 it sure seems way over my head. There is a switch box up by the front TV - ? Any advice?

And we already drug the steps off. Any suggestions on replacing those? Do they sell just the straight pieces on the side to put them back on with?

Scared to death to use the washer/dryer. One AC we can get on but the other one never does anything. Think it's broke?

Any tips or advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Claireake, I see this is your first post, soooooooo....welcome to iRV2.

Your toilet will flush with water from the tank or water from the city water connection.

Many of us travel with full water as it allows us flexibility in stopping for a night or two (or more) without hookups.

Do you suspect a problem with the washer?

I'm sure the other issues will soon be addressed by someone familiar with your coach.

There are a lot of helpful folks here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #4

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
welcome Claireake to iRV2 .com there is lots of campers that will answer your questions.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #5

thanks!

as for the washer - when we hook the water hose up and are filling the tank (we've done it 2x) there is a skinny pipe in the front of the wheels - right by the door/steps - that leaks. It's was up past the washer - don't know why there is any water going that direction.... and i read somewhere that they would never recommend a washer in an RV - potential for major water damage. what are your thoughts?
Old 06-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #6

also, you don't think the full tanks wastes gas? and then do you know anything about the pump? when should that be on?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2.com . Several suggestions and comments:

1. Look down in the forum to the Owners Corner and you will see a Fleetwood Owners area. You should be able to get more info. specific to your Pace Arrow from the helpful folks there.

2. Anything that adds weight to your rig can surely make you burn more gas. If we are traveling and think we will need to stop overnight in places with no water (like a Walmart), we may run with more water in the tank. Otherwise, we only haul about 50% full to save weight. Really depends on how much water you think you might use before you get to your destinations with water hook-ups. You can fill your freshwater tanks and dump your holding tanks at places like Flying J, Love's and some interstate rest areas.

3. Suggest you fix any leaks pronto. Water leaks can do a lot of damage in an RV.

4. Washer will use a lot of water so might want to use that only when you are hooked up to water in a campground...or prepare to fill your holding tank more often.

5. You will find RV folks are generally very helpful. When you are in RV parks/campgrounds, don't hesitate to ask a neighbor when you need help. And, come back often to IRV2 with your questions.

Hope you have many safe and happy travels.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:14 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and i read somewhere that they would never recommend a washer in an RV - potential for major water damage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would not be without my washer and dryer, as would many others. I only use them when I have full hookups, as the washer does use too much water when boondocking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> also, you don't think the full tanks wastes gas? and then do you know anything about the pump? when should that be on?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Full tanks or any additional weight uses more gas. Many folks travel with minimal water just for that reason.

The water pump is only used when not hooked up to city water.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome claireake to irv2.
Aren't you having fun yet and you have only started. We have all gone thru the fun pretty soon it will be just routine.
If you travel between campgrounds you only need some water in your fresh water tank for flushing your toilet, we have about over a 1/4 tank to keep down weight and save gas.
The washer dryer you would use in the campground where you will have the power and sewerage hookup for it should work as your one in your home but smaller loads.
The TV deal is this you will have ANT. button that will be used for both TV's that you will push in ANT., TV1, TV2 and VCR if you want to record TV program. You may have a button to operate on what looks like a 12v outlet with a red led that will have to be turned on so signal from TV ANT will be amplified.
You also will have a AUX button that would be used for cable TV if campground supply's it, both TV buttons would stay the same. TV AMP led doesn't have to be on in this case.
Your AC's are controlled by thermostat most new ones would have a MODE button that would access your two cooling zones front living area and bedroom area to put on your two AC's. Not sure what you have hope you have some info on this. If you can find a name on it the web site for in can give you the instructions to operate your model number.

This link STEPS will provide you with info as to what you need to know on your steps your not along some of us have done the same as you, over the years, but if steps can not be straighten then its easier to just replace them. We are here to help when the time comes.
You will need the water pump switch on when ever your calling to flush the toilet or drinking water. You would have two at least one in bathroom and kitchen we have four and it can get confusing some times.
The water you see under coach maybe the over flow from your water tank over flow pipe.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:46 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have you here on iRV2.

As for only one a/c running, you need to see if the coach is 50 amp or 30 amp. I believe that vintage was 30 amp and you can only run one a/c at a time on shore power, but both one generator.

There should be a switch in an overhead cabinet that is marked Front-Both-Rear or something like that.

You can get the coach rewired so that you can break out the rear a/c and run it on a separate 20 amp cord and circuit.

We had a 1989 Pace Arrow and I rewired it to run both a/c units when we had shore power and 50 amp service. In the south, one a/c will not cool the coach.

One thing to watch very closely on this vintage Fleetwood product is to keep an eye on any leaks. They were very prone to leak at the roof to front and rear cap joints. Fleetwood did a really poor on this joint design.

Also, they had glue problems with the siding. prone to delamination on the side walls. It can be seen looking down the sides and you can see the bubbles. We had to have ours rebuilt at considerable expense.

About the best fix for the roof to cap joint leak is to clean well and cover it with a strip of ErtnaBond.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:50 AM   #11

Welcome Claireake! Well I can say that we are all still learning as things come up. I know we do everytime we take a big trip. Fist things first..weigh your coach loaded with full water to see if you are within the weight limit of the coach. You can do that at most truck stops like Loves or Flying J. If you are pulling a car it is especially important to do. Also there are great people in this forum and the irv2 website. The are just loaded with knowledge and will certainly help you out with your issues or direct you where to go to find the answers. Enjoy! It is a nice way to travel!!
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote