Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #1

Hello to all. We are Lake Michigan boaters...selling out and want to join your world. We are interested in the super c class of rvs. Any advice is appreciated. We went to Indiana which seems to be the rv jerusalem and saw Jayco (not too impressed with the speed and quality, help me if I am wrong), Dynamax (holy cow, beautiful but too expensive for the virgins), and Renegade,(very nice, but maybe a little rough looking). Should we buy new, or used? Warranty and good interest rates vs cheaper and someone elses problems and dirt?? I have soooooo many questions. So let's start here. Please help the novice here. It seems like all of you are incredibly knowledgable and honest. Thank you for you help and patience. And also want to let all of you know, that coming from fuel consumption of 1/2 mile per gallon, this looks like heaven to us!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #2

Hello to all. We are Lake Michigan boaters...selling out and want to join your world. We are interested in the super c class of rvs. Any advice is appreciated. We went to Indiana which seems to be the rv jerusalem and saw Jayco (not too impressed with the speed and quality, help me if I am wrong), Dynamax (holy cow, beautiful but too expensive for the virgins), and Renegade,(very nice, but maybe a little rough looking). Should we buy new, or used? Warranty and good interest rates vs cheaper and someone elses problems and dirt?? I have soooooo many questions. So let's start here. Please help the novice here. It seems like all of you are incredibly knowledgable and honest. Thank you for you help and patience. And also want to let all of you know, that coming from fuel consumption of 1/2 mile per gallon, this looks like heaven to us!!

Old 10-01-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
paz

Jaynee, welcome to iRV2.com. There are a lot of experienced people here, so I'm sure you will get answers to all your questions.

Motorhome vs. 5th wheel, gas vs. diesel, new vs. used - these are all big questions. Most of the choices will come down to personal preference.

We went to every RV show we could find to look at RVs before we bought our full-time rig. When we found one we thought we liked, we would sit for a long time in the living room trying to imagine what it would be like every day. Check out the bedroom and bath. Make sure you will have enough storage space. And very important, make sure you will have enough cargo carrying capacity for the way you want to travel. We are full-timers, so we needed more CCC than you would need for weekends. The CCC is a measure of how much weight you can carry after the coach is filled with fresh water, propane, fuel (if self-propelled), and passengers (also if self-propelled). This information is usually found on a sticker inside a cabinet somewhere.

As far as new vs. used is concerned, this is again personal preference plus economics. Some say if you are buying used, you may be buying someone else's problems. But others say someone else has worked out the bugs in a used RV. And someone else has taken the big hit for the first year or two of depreciation.

Our choice was a new Class A motorhome because that's what we thought would fit our needs best. We are very happy with our decision.

You are starting off right by asking questions. Best wishes in your search.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Jaynee, welcome to iRV2.

As Paz noted, one size does not fit all.......just like the boating world.

So much is personal preference, but research is critical in making a good choice.

Keep us posted.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:33 AM   #5

Welcome Jaynee,

After 10 years of RV ownership and 3 new Rv's, I would highly recommend a new RV if you can swing it. It is truly nice to be the first ones to sleep in the bed, cook on the stove, and sit in the throne room. I do agree that the price you pay for that luxury is a bigger price tag, and you will be making the trips to the dealer to work the bugs out. It's all personal preference and how often you are going to use it. We use ours at least once a month, often twice a month, and 2 vacations during the year totaling 6 weeks. And we will start to fulltime in 08'.

If you are an occassional weekender you probably won't want that big of an investment.

BTW, one thing that was huge for me. Sometimes folks discount how much time we spend in bed. At least 30% of our lives. Many RV's have "RV queen" size beds. They are full queen width, but are about 6" shorter than a regular queen bed. I am 6'1" and the short queen we had in our first RV drove me nuts. Make sure the sleeping facilities are up to your standards or you may have a big regret. I looked at several high end class "C" rigs before I bought my rig. Many of the "C" coaches I looked at still had the bed up over the cab. When I first jumped up there and lay down, it didn't seem too bad. After 5 minutes I was going nuts. Just a thought since you are shopping class "C" rigs. Good luck,

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:50 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jaynee Welcome

In the NOV. issue of HOTORHOME magazine is a good artical. The Five Biggest Mistakes RV Buyers Make. This might give you some information prior to your purchase.
Good Luck
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spent six years researching brands and the industry before our purchase (2 yr old Class A). I am glad I did. Part of that time was devoted to selling the 'navigator' dw on the idea. Ultimately, it was our neighbors that did the convincing that I was not able to do. There are 'emotions' about not being the first in the rack or on the throne, but a $40K discount off show-room price helped me get over that emotion very quickly.

Full-timing by necessity. . . not choice.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:15 AM   #8

Consider how much you will use it ...what kind of destinations, how much "stuff" you will need to carry, how often you will use it, how many people you are likely to carry, where you will park it, your economic picture, your general health, RV driver training unless you have experience with big vehicles, enough power if you tow a boat, toad, or trailer. Other stuff I've not thought of.

Enjoy.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #9

The questions that you have are all questions that we have all faced. The ultimate will be your own personal preferances. In our case after owning class A stuff for close to 40 years came down to a descision that was partialy based on money and the deire to step way up. The solution was to look for an older deisel pusher that was in the luxury zone when new. To be true I have a little advantage as being an auto technology instuctor and still at age 75 able to do most of my own work. And yes ther was some work involved in bringing a 17 year old unit to top shape. But the effort has been marvelous. We just completed a 9,000 mile cross country jaunt. Only one hickcup in the trip. I had to replace the brushes in the motor of my HWH leveling system. One hours work. I had a spare set in my emergency kit. And we had the comfort that Foretravel built into the coach for the previous owner. The other thing that was important to me was no monthly payment.
Yes my number plate frame reads "don't laugh it's paid for." The class A gives us pull in and live without un hooking the trailer and stuff. We do not have slides as we boondock a lot. Wal-Mart, National Forests, and the like. But those are our preferances. By the way the Ford Explorer that tavels on the car trailer is a 1994.
Brad & Lucy aka the Geezer & The Hedgehog
1990 Foretravel Detroit spinning an Allison.
Car trailer with Whitey Ford the Explorer on board
Kitty kat: Earl
Navigation: CoPilot 9 laptop
Old 10-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #10

Jaynee: Welcome to the world of RVs... First, you have come to, in my opinion, one of the finest places for information and help. You already have received great advise including your decision should be personal for your own needs. The bride (of 44 years) and I have had popups/hi-lo's/pull alongs/C & A Class. The only thing we have not had is a 5th wheel. And IF we were to go to one location for months at a time a 5er might be our choice. We, on the other hand, like to travel over this Great Nation often. Three years ago we purchased a new Georgie Boy 35', 2 slides, A Class, F53 chassis, V10. Our reasons were as follows: It allowed us to have the basic same amount of room and power as other 35' coaches but without many of the upgrades like tile floors; corrien kitchen tops; leather seats and many other wonderful extras. To us the difference was $40,000 give or take a nickel. If YOUR budget allows for all the goodies and thats what you would like by all means do it and enjoy it, but if the purse strings might mean more,... than what we did is an option. In three years we are now coming up on 30,000 miles. Home base is in North Florida. This year alone LasVegas, Conn, No. Carolina. Obviously the MH has not been sitting in the back yard. I don't know if what I have shared is helpful, but rest assured we wish you the very best in what YOU decide and may, whatever you get, be all you want and give you many, many safe and wonderful years.....
Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #11

Thank you to all for your input. Are we silly to assume that the rv we choose now will be our last? We have had 3 boats....each an upgrade and alot of money lost with each purchase. Should we spend more for quality now, or do these things need to be cashed in and a new one purchased every sayyy 5 years? We would like diesel. Will the engine outlast the motorhome? We seem to like the truck conversion units. Should we start with the less expensive Jayco Seneca or go right for the Renegade type?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #12

Jaynee,
Welcome!
Wife and I are new to the rv thing too. Have now owned our very first motorhome for a year. We looked at many over about two years. Gas or dp? Size, frame, what kind of roof, what can and will we tow some day, resale value, new or used, floor plan to meet our needs. Long story short...........I wanted the dealer close to home since I didn't want to run hundreds of miles for repair. We bought new because I didn't spend much more than a late model used. I have looked at the Renegade and such. I do like very much and my consider buying some where down the road. A garage unit may fit our needs more soon. By the way there is a Renegade dealer not far from you and I think they have a couple of used units on the lot. I am planning to take a look one of these weekends I have time. What I find in the Renegade type motorhome is larger water tanks, larger generator, engine under the hood rather than under the bed, more heavy duty.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Your budget will determine how often you trade, because as you noted, it is expensive.

A quality motorhome will last more than 5 years, and the diesel engine will outlast the motorhome.

So much of RVing is personal preference, so you see so many different ways of RVing.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #14

Hey Jaynee We just bought an 05 Kountry Star after being boaters for 16 years!!!

Boats and RV's a lot the same BUT some big differences!!!

The diesel will for sure outlast the coach!!

Make a 'Must Have' and a 'Deal Breaker List'

and have FUN Rick