Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 09:40 PM   #1

New to travel

DW and self are looking to spend 2-3 months traveling, spending on average a couple of nights at various locations. Having hard time deciding Class A or C, I am 6'3 and 250# and also would rather not tow a car. Wondering how driveable C's are in the cities.
John Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depends on the size of the c... the bigger they are the more you have to work to find parking ...not the best touring vehicle.

Your bigger consideration might be if you can fit on the toilet or not , or in the shower or not ..

Some bathrooms truly cramp your legs together when sitting on the throne .. and I’m no where near 6 3 250..

I’d also think the taller the ceiling height, the better .. and class a’s are usually high ceilings

Get a cheap, light car and tow it.. you’ll be happier for it in the long run

Eventually you start to hate moving so often.. a couple a days at each location gets old and eventually you start spending 1 week, then 2 weeks, then a month at one spot .. the car helps a lot at that point

But I’m a cheap tow car guy... tow cars get grimy, dinged, hailed on, and generally a little more beat up... so I enjoy inexpensive beater cars for towing behind a motorhome
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:18 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
As for the bathroom & toilet... try to find a walk thru bath that the toilet is free standing and not in tiny water closet...something like this..and really check out how easy it is to get to everything needed with the slides retracted.... You will find times where you cannot extend the slides (rest areas,truckstops, wally world and others..
here is our coach with the slide retracted, notice the room available to navigate the bathroom facilities and transit the coach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171221_112629.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	215601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171221_112238 (2).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	215602  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171221_112207 (2).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	215603  
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-19-2018, 03:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest renting a Class C for a week. That will educate you real fast.

Class A is more comfortable to drive.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:21 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
First off welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks here.
I agree rent a class C for a weekend and see how that goes.
We started off in a 25 ft. Class C with out a toad vehicle. That lasted 2 weeks before we were toad shopping. It became a PIA to break camp every time you went exploring, into town, shopping, sight seeing etc. Also in many places (towns) we had a hard time finding convenient parking.
Size for you will also be much better in a Class A. I am 6ft and 220 and our Class C was too small, especially if "stuck" inside for a day or two because of bad weather. 18 months later we got our Class A.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
welcome..............6'3" and 250 is not a concern...........i was 6' and 250 and had no issues with our class a monaco............(been on diet, now 6' and 225)........anyway the shower is the thing that is gonna be the issue.........check out various c's and see if you have head room.............even in expensive class a's, the shower can still be the issue..........most have a "bubble" in the ceiling so your head doesn't bump the ceiling, but you will have to judge for yourself........definitely doable.............as for not towing a car, that is where i think your issue will be............if you like to dine out, or even running errands or site seeing, i, personally, don't want to have to unhook from the campground and use the rv like a car...........and if you go out every night for dinner, it is a pain to find parking once you find a restaurant.............personally, i would not leave the driveway without a towed vehicle..........but that is me, you might be the kind that never needs or wants to leave the campground...........but there are still things like groceries that you have to consider.............not to mention sightseeing..................i hope you find a solution to your situation.....there is a a lot to see in this country..................
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:25 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Really think about what you need and keep that list handy when walking through. We had a small class C, which as it turned out was too small. We 'thought' we'd just use it for weekends to the beach and would be able to park it more easily that a class A. Lasted 1 season with it and traded it for a larger class A. Too small and parking was still an issue.

Lessons we learned:
  1. Bathroom - both toilet and shower - size matters
  2. How easy is the bed to get in and out of? Many class C's have corner beds that are not easy
  3. How easy is it to get from the front to the back without getting out of the MH?
  4. Is there seating room that is comfortable on a rainy day where you are stuck inside? Some smaller class C's captains chairs don't swivel and/or don't have seating outside of the dinette
  5. What headroom do you have in the cab area and shower? I'm not tall, but found it 'cramped' feeling
  6. What storage is there? The smaller class C's can be pretty limited
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TOW A CAR!!! Everyone's favorite chore is set up an take down! If it is you daily driver get a class B and on more than one night stays, rent a room. Try the rental for a week like Arch Hoagland suggested.

By the way
Oldman5145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stiles View Post

DW and self are looking to spend 2-3 months traveling,

spending on average a couple of nights at various locations.

Having hard time deciding Class A or C,

I am 6'3 and 250# and

also would rather not tow a car.

Wondering how driveable C's are in the cities.

- -

Sounds like this might be your first try at RV'ing? -

You are getting lot's of GOOD INFO so read slowly and filter as to what makes sense to You. -

All of us are different - IMHO age might be a factor here - I like you have generally been classified as XL and when younger smaller RV's, didn't seem to matter as much. -

Today - King sized Bed - Full Sized Shower - Nice Toad - Bigger is the only way for Us. -

If this is just a one time thing then IMHO Rental might be the only way to go. If on the other hand this might be more of a lifestyle change then - Again Rental might be the Only way to go. Only way to know if it works is to try it, as I'm sure you have noticed there are all sizes and Prices of RV's out there.

My story is in this old post if it will help - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...7.cfm#23630827

I'll try to address each question;

A or C only YOU can decide what you will enjoy/afford.

You Being in the XL or larger classification means you and only You Know what will keep you Happy.

Even when we do not unhook the Toad - we pull it - just makes Life easier - Can hook up and unhook in 5 minutes or Less........so just hard not to bring it as it is just Smart.

A class "C" is a Truck - is Big - Is Long - is not a Car! - can you drive it in the city? maybe - will you drive it in the city? - Maybe - Maybe not. I've driven My Coach into Cambridge Square - while not fun Doable. - - -

Last thing here - Your Dear Wife - If she's not Happy - Comfortable - Enjoying this - then this will be short lived (Doubt the first trip will last a weekend) - so you need to get Her Involved in this decision.

So in Summary - rent a "C" for a weekend try it for all the things you think you want to do ...............then think about it some more and get back to the group with your Questions, as they will most likely change and get much more specific, this will be a longer process than you think. -

Just My Humble Opinion

-

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We rented a class c and it was fun but also a pain in the rear to pack up every time we wanted to go site seeing and hard as hell in the cities. We purchased a small class a 30ft gasser and it was much better to travel in and pulled our new Jeep ok, but it was still too small for extended trips and was a dog when towing in mountain areas. We have now moved to a dp and so far it is the best decision we have made. Plenty of room and a smooth quiet ride. Haven’t had the Jeep hooked up yet but will soon. I think renting is a good idea to see how much you like the rv life and see what you like and dislike about the rv. Once you move to purchase think long term and don’t compromise on what’s important to you. If you waiver on something now you will hate it later when you have to deal with it every time you are out. I’m also a biggin, 6’2 230, and in our case bigger is better.
Hey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:22 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New to travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stiles View Post
DW and self are looking to spend 2-3 months traveling, spending on average a couple of nights at various locations. Having hard time deciding Class A or C, I am 6'3 and 250# and also would rather not tow a car. Wondering how driveable C's are in the cities.
1. Get a Class A, tow a car, travel less frequently.
A small, “efficient” Class C and no car, coupled with traveling every few days, will elevate your PITA factor very rapidly. And you’ll have no way out except radical change.

The notion that you will accommodate, will get used to things, is a one way street. Many have learned this the hard way over the years. The idea of “Too big” will last about a month. “Too Small” will last forever.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
The idea of “Too big” will last about a month. “Too Small” will last forever.
Just to add.. If it looks small but still do-able (bed/shower/water closet/living room/fresh water/black tank/gray tank capacities/GALLEY...
TRUST US !!

It WILL become excruciatingly tiny in a matter of days..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:56 AM   #14

Dang saddlesore, your Foretravel still has some serious space even with the slides in.
That's about as much as I've ever seen.
Pretty awesome.

Tags
travel