Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
New to us Motorhome - When to Winterize?

We live in Indiana. We are staying here until the first of the year and then plan to hit the road full time in our Motorhome.

We would prefer not to winterize so it is ready to go when we are, but it may turn cold on us before we are ready. We will not be living in it until the 1st of the year. It will be in a storage lot and we will use it on weekends.

How long can we wait before winterizing it?

00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
I live a considerably warmer climate and typically won't winterize until the day of the first scheduled freeze. No do realize we won't get our first possible freeze til December and it doesn't usually get much colder than the upper 20s even in Jan/Feb. It's very predictable.

I drain all water as best as possible including the HW heater(put in by-pass mode) and then used winterizing juice in my p-traps. I have on occasion blown air through the lines but for found it to be more trouble then worth. I have also even pulled winterizing juice through the water lines too - this by far is the safest way and be trouble free for storage. However, we like to use once or twice in the winter time and that makes it inconvenient.

Since our TT(now Motorhome) stays at home with us, I typically just drain and p-trap it. If really cold for more than 12ish hours, will run the heater to assist as well.

Hope this helps.

Mickey Alberto
2016 Georgetown XL 350TS
Sour Lake, Texas
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I generally winterize mid Oct. We're in MI and leave for FL the week after Thanksgiving. We carry water on board for the toilet and bottled water for drinking. I'll put water in the onboard water tank when we get to a warmer area if I see we need it before we reach our desination. I never use the pink stuff in the water lines when winterizing I only pour some in the drains. I blow out all the waterlines and leave the faucets open. We have never had any problems doing it this way.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
In Indiana winterize it before the middle of Oct. A lot easier to do in good weather then trying to get it done in freezing temps.

And don't UN-winterize it untill you are in Southern GA. on your way to FL.

If not winterized by then, plan on a lot of repair's to the water lines, maybe busted water heater tank, fresh water tank etc. by the 1st of the year.
And it will take much, much longer and $$$ to fix, then doing a winterize.

I have been in IN. the last couple weeks visiting my old home town. Last 2 nights lows in the 40's Brrrrr!. Monday heading for my winter spot in Florida.
Last time I seen snow was in IN. 1999. And I haven't missed it any.
99 Discovery 34Q ISB
2014 MKS AWD EcoBoost Toad
Fulltime Since "99"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
We de-winterize a few days before we head south (12/28). We will have it at the house and the heat set for 50. Cape Cod is sort of mild but we drive through NY & PA mountains without a problem. The coldest we dealt with was 9. still no problem.
Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Stored inside or out? That makes a big difference in winterizing plans. When we stored our old 5er outside, I followed this personal rule: When daytime highs reach the upper-40's and night-time lows do not fall below 28*F the RV plumbing will not freeze enough to cause a problem.
Since we built the RV garage, night-time lows can reach the mid-20's with daytime highs of low 40's and the RV plumbing would not freeze. Sun on the metal roof/building would warm the building enough that it stayed 5-8* warmer that outside temperatures at night.
That however, is in South Indiana. FWIW, the Old Farmers Almanac says Indiana this winter will be quite cold.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Stored outside.

I'll read up on the wonterizing procedure and plan to do it in the next few weeks.
00wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Live in western N.C., when night temps get below 32--we winterize--still camp throughout the winter---use bottled water to drink, flush toilet with jugs of 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze,shower at the campground showers--no problem----Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I will be winterizing on Oct. 20th by heading to Fl. Since we are living in the coach, nothing will freeze if we keep the furnace running. Many coaches have heat in the cabinets and basements. This does assist in preventing freezing problems during times with temps. near or slightly below freezing.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote

motorhome, winter