Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
With all of the discussion I watched the video.

Slick marketing IMO by a "disinterested" third party.

Noticed they installed the sender, checked the door and THEN checked the leveling system. Which agreed by the way with the door and the level mate.

It is very handy to be able to see numbers for the coach when driving around the parking lot. I currently do something similar with our leveling system. I turn it on and it has the lights as a first indicator. When I scroll through the leveling system display it will show the side to side and end to end in degrees for out of level. A simple calculation can equate those numbers to inches if you need to know in inches. I do not mind using the readings in degrees as you can quickly learn what degrees are within your jack capabilities.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #44

Looks like the Luddites are still around. I've used the phone ap and even two spirit levels to not even have to move the one. That said, I really like the read out telling me how much I have to move. I find the auto level function on mine gets close (and, yes, I've calibrated it), but first it doesn't get all that close to really level and secondly it tends to put the jacks in what I consider weird heights unnecessarily. That's why I generally manually level in the first place. For me, I like having the height differences displayed as I have to tinker much less to get precisely where I'd like to be in both height and distance off the ground (for step access convenience). So I bought one (before they sold out) and installed it and use it regularly. I appreciate the simplicity and the readouts.

I also had a question which I sent on a Sunday morning of Labor day weekend, and got a phone call from someone (the owner, chief engineer? I'm not sure) on that Sunday. Old fashioned care for their customers which you rarely see these days.

For me, it was money well spent. If you don't want to buy it, that is certainly your decision. I'm happy with my decision.

Cheers.

jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:47 PM   #45

New way to check leveling device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
No, what is sad are the rude remarks posted in this thread. NONE of them helped to answer the OP's question.

If your free bubble level can tell you from the driver's seat how level the ends of each axle are, and whether or not you're going to need blocks to level out, then good for you (it doesn't exist). Why insult members who choose to use technology to do it better? You don't like the idea, keep your free bubble!

But it DOES exist!

My free bubble level (my iPhone) works fine from the drivers seat. I just set it on the floor next to me and push the buttons on the HWH control panel, which is also right next to me. Easy, free and always right on the money.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
But it DOES exist!

My FREE bubble level (my iPhone) works fine from the drivers seat. I just set it on the floor next to me and push the buttons on the HWH control panel, which is also right next to me. Easy, FREE and always right on the money.

Sorry, it doesn't.

We get it....you're big on FREE stuff! The LevelMate Pro is not free, so you think it's stupid, that's fine. Nobody's asking you to pay for anything, the OP merely asked if anyone had used it.

Enjoy your free bubble level and I'll enjoy my LevelMate. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for...

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO the discussion is not about the efficacy of the Level Mate but the price that seems somewhat inflated. Nothing like boys and their toys.

Not having had a Level Mate in hand to test there are a number of issues that come to mind that the video did not address.

How does it work on uneven terrain? It should work well when a site is uniform in slope however if the site undulates it can only give you a guess for blocking for individual wheels, especially with IFS.

How does it account for the air ride leveling which occurs on an uneven site? Do you have to dump your air for the system to give you the correct information.

Unfortunately I am way out of touch with this piece of equipment. First 140 is pretty steep not to mention the 600 for the smart phone to use it.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy View Post
Pretty good level you have that can tell you it can tell you exactly how many inches of blocks you need under each wheel THE FIRST TIME. I guess you have a lot of experience with it in your 14 year old rig, mines only 14 months and I want to enjoy it not level it for an hour.
Just jealous there are none left in stock I guess.
I think i read in this thread that the Levelmate measures to 1/4 inch. I'll admit, my way of leveling certainly isn't this precise.

But while i'm not as precise, i've gotten used to looking at the bubble in relationship to the center circle and getting a good idea of what to do with each corner. For instance, i know the jacks will do fine if it's just out of the circle. If it's further out, then i know i'll need blocks. Even further, then it's time to find a more level site.

The bottom line is that the coach is level when the bubble is centered. I don't need anything else to tell me this.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
...Enjoy your free bubble level and I'll enjoy my LevelMate. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for...

I paid NOTHING for a device that works perfectly every time. So where's the justification for purchasing this rip-off $140 product that does exactly the same thing that a free app available on every iPhone and Android device will do?

In my opinion, the makers of this snake oil device are taking advantage of people who simply don't know they already have a solution to the leveling issue that doesn't cost a dime.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO the discussion is not about the efficacy of the Level Mate but the price that seems somewhat inflated. Nothing like boys and their toys.

Not having had a Level Mate in hand to test there are a number of issues that come to mind that the video did not address.

How does it work on uneven terrain? It should work well when a site is uniform in slope however if the site undulates it can only give you a guess for blocking for individual wheels, especially with IFS.

The device is sensing the level of the vehicle so, unless the terrain is so bad that it hits the bottom of the vehicle, uneven spots have no influence on its operation. Yes, the amount of lift is based on the measured wheel spacing that you have to enter so there is some offset since the jacks aren't at the location of the tires. The individual 4 corner display shows how much each corner has to move relative to the highest corner. Very intuitive, at least for me.

How does it account for the air ride leveling which occurs on an uneven site? Do you have to dump your air for the system to give you the correct information.

If the air ride system is active and works to offset the leveling you are doing, yes, you would get a dog chasing its tail effect. In my case, I dump the air tanks and then the airbags before leveling.

Unfortunately I am way out of touch with this piece of equipment. First 140 is pretty steep not to mention the 600 for the smart phone to use it.
Already had the smart phone (and a tablet that also works with the same sensor box). In my case, I was never real happy with the autolevel system (could be because it is the cheaper 3 jack system Monaco used) even with recalibrating it. And I would often overshoot using either the phone level or a spirit level. That was a real pain because the controller only raises jacks, it doesn't have a lower function for individual jacks so you have to completely retract the jacks and start over if you overshoot. Admittedly some of this is due to the system on this particular coach so others may 1) be better at interpreting their other devices and 2) have a better system. In my case, I think the $140 was money very well spent.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #51

Quote:
I paid NOTHING for a device that works perfectly every time. So where's the justification for purchasing this rip-off $140 product that does exactly the same thing that a free app available on every iPhone and Android device will do?

In my opinion, the makers of this snake oil device are taking advantage of people who simply don't know they already have a solution to the leveling issue that doesn't cost a dime.

I respect your opinion with respect to the value of the device for you. That is your option. My opinion is that the solutions I already had (automatic level, cell phone ap, spirit level) were not good enough and I chose not to spend my time perfecting a technique to use them effectively. My time and frustration level trying to level easily justified spending the money and I am a very satisfied customer and hope my $140 helps keep this company in business. I think it's a very clever piece of engineering and wish them every success.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #52

While some might see the LevelMatePRO as a solution looking for a problem (and I can see the perspective myself), I see one advantage being that you can be outside with a smart phone and do manual leveling. I leveled my previous trailer with a manual level (I ditched the wimpy electric jacks and used a power drill with a 3/4" bit and had 6 scissor jacks). For that application I think LevelMatePRO might be helpful as you can instantly see the effects of any adjustment on all four corners (which would not be as immediately apparent when using a normal level).

But if one wanted to level with only the wheels, or do the wheels first (which I'll do if the pad site is not very level), you'd have to be in the vehicle anyway to back it up onto blocks.

While I am happy with my leveling system and it's ability to level (see my post #20 in this thread), I've been thinking about the utility of having a smartphone app that would do something the same as the LevelMatePRO device from inside the motorhome. And I remembered that I have one on my iPhone called Clinometer that I've been using for a long time for quick construction leveling when a real level is not handy (i.e. - I'd have to get off my butt to go get it). It even shows which corner is lowest.

I did some quick testing on my motorhome this past weekend while camping, and if I found a spot on the floor that is flat and level (when the MH has already been leveled), the app was accurate to within 0.1 (about 1/3 inch front/back on my MH). That's well within "good enough" for our purposes, especially since my Lego-style wheel leveling blocks are 1" blocks. The only disadvantage is that I have to do the translation between 0.1 and inches (which is of course different front/back vs left/right), but that's no big deal once you do it a few times...for me it's roughly 1 inch"ish" for every 0.3 front/back, and roughly 1 inch"ish" for every 0.6 left/right. If all the numbers translated to less than 1 inch I'd just let the leveling system do it's job; if any number translated to 1 inch or more I'd adjust that wheel with blocks.

There is also a Peer Mode, which I assume means you can use another iDevice (presumably an iPod or something) via Bluetooth as the inside level sensor. I've not played with this, so this is only an assumption on my part (not sure I'd ever use it).

Note that for anyone with an iPhone and willing to spend the big bucks, Clinometer can use the Apple Watch as a remote viewer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Sep 14, 11 04 10.png
Views:	32
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	138952  
Old 09-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #53

Quote:

I don't see it as "snake oil" since it probably works fine. I also don't see that the makers of it are taking advantage of people. People who buy it know what it does and are happy with their purchase. This device may not be worth it to you or i but it is to those who purchase it.

Kinda reminds of cell phoners. I know people who pay BIG bucks everytime the latest and greatest phone that comes out. Some don't bat an eye paying $600 for a phone. It's plum crazy to me but guess what, it's worth it to them...

Tags
leveling