RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Unhappy New Winnebago

Well here we are....We purchased a NEW Class A in September. Haven't went anywhere yet. Done the right things as far as running the motor and generator.
Well this past week the generator run 1 1/2 minutes and now won't start. Seems like there's fuel and spark. Tank over 1/2 full. Then to top it off the steps keep going in and out at random even while I'm taking it back to the dealer. Well I get to the dealer and.....The steps might be repairable under warranty. (we shall see) Now they tell me I must take it to the Onan Dealer for any repairs on the generator. If under warranty I need to call Winnebago first to get it approved. BULL#%!t. So I have to get an appointment with the Cummins Onan dealer to get them to look at it. If I can get past their attitude.
WHY can't the Dealer who I purchased this POS from handle warranties??
I predict I'll end up paying for the repairs out of my pocket. If I do and cannot get reimbursed for my expenses it'll be up for sale. I'll be letting you know how this turns out.
Oh!! How does RV service centers justify $150.00 and hour??
They sure aren't that in the know.....
I've always done my own repairs and oil change. A big OUCH to you dealers...

sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2019, 03:12 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just the way it us in the RV world. Read your warranty paperwork and follow it is the best policy.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd wait and see what happens as far as what is going on with the generator before I'd get too excited. Winnebago took good care of me with warranty issues when we bought our Itasca. Winnebago didn't manufacture your generator, Onan did, so I'm not surprised that Winnebago wants you to have Onan look at it. Just follow the process through and you may be happy with the results. Let us know how it turns out.
Good Luck!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

if it is a brand new, never titled, MH then your warranty covers both. some dealers want nothing to do with you after the sale. contact winnebago customer relations.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #5

First off - BREATHE !!!!

This will pass and you'll be laughing about it over a fire with friends.. I guarantee it..

A little more info so people on here can help -

Year, Make, Model - purchased new or used - who did you buy it from - what part of the country are you from ??

All the above will help fellow forum members to better help and advise you.. We've "been there, done that" so to speak..

Also, my two cents - you're probably better off taking your generator issue to the Onan dealer anyway.. my guess is the RV dealer would have just screwed it up.. Also, a little advanced notice - if you have mechanical issues (engine/drive-train) you'll be taking that to a Ford dealer..

Just know.. there are A TON of members who want to help you.. likely have been in your same shoes.. and we all made it thru and live to tell tales..

Bests of luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
The steps going in and out is a common problem. There is usually a magnetic switch on the door frame that activates when the door is open. If the gap is too large for the magnet to stay engaged, it thinks the door is open and out come the steps. Our friends had a brand new Fleetwood doing the same thing as we were following them. Putting a spacer on the magnet to move it closer to the switch eliminated the problem.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:42 AM   #7
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Your problems are very minor to be calling it a "POS" ...ALL new motorhomes will have things in the first year that need attention. This is without exception both from my own experiences --have purchased multiple new motorhomes some being from Winnebago-- and from talking to others. You'll see numerous threads on this forum where buyers have dozens of things that they have to follow up on during the first year of ownership. You'll also see threads where many people insist on purchasing a used motorhome explicitly for the reason that they know the original owner has taken care of all the "first year punch list items."

If the two issue you mention are the only things that are wrong, you are very fortunate.

Winnebago, for us, has offered excellent customer support. Some Winnebago dealers are very service oriented also --some not so. In the end, Winnebago should take care of all your issues during the warranty period and sometimes will recommend a dealer to take it to if your selling-dealer is not able to accommodate your problems. We've had that happen.

It's not uncommon for a dealer to refer you to Onan to get the generator fixed under warranty if they are unable to do fix it with a simple repair or adjustment. Same if you had engine or transmission problems, they'd send you to the appropriate chassis repair facility to have repairs done --Freightliner, Cummins, etc.-- as most dealers aren't equipped to do major engine or transmission repairs. It will sometimes depend on the dealer --some may take it to Onan/Cummins themselves or, like in your situation, refer you to the correct facility to have it done as it might be faster that way.

I think you'll find that Winnebago will be much more accommodating in giving you the factory support you need to make sure all repairs are done under the warranty period when compared to some other manufacturers. I predict you will NOT have to pay out-of-pocket for any repairs during the warranty period. In the end, Winnebago will take care of you during that first year ...and sometimes even after the warranty period is over. I have found that they are very reasonable when it comes to backing their products even when they are out of warranty.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

First of all welcome to the community and the RV family at large. Visit here often. You'll learn a lot.

As one other member said earlier....take a big breath...it's ok

The first thing to get your head wrapped around is this:
Buying your RV is nothing like buying a car or a truck or any other vehicle on the planet.

Let me say that again...Buying your RV—is not and never will be—anything like buying a car or a truck or any other vehicle on the planet.

You haven't entered into the Twilight Zone but you have entered into another way things are taken care of. I also 2nd the motion for you to call Winnebago. They are awesome in post sale and warranty issues.

Be patient, go through the process and don't let these minor things ruin your dream of why you bought your RV in the first place. Happy Trails are around corner.

Keep a cool head when you call Winnebago. It will get better results.

Winnebago General Inquires for MH’s
641-585-3535 or 641-585-6395 (Had them forward me to the parts dept.)
Service Dept. 800-537-1885 and then there’s an menu option

BTW…do yourself a favor by putting—detailed information—of your rig by creating a signature. That way you also won't have to type this information each time in all your future posts. Look at some other posters signatures if you need some examples.
You create a signature by:
1) Going to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on. You’ll be limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 supporter.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
All I can is "RV's are not your family auto", every item has it's own and you are the mercy of the dealer.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:35 PM   #10

I had issues with my Onan and Cummins took care of it under warranty. Just show proof of purchase and you should be ok.
Cjfish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with the others, you are in MUCH better hands having Onan fix the Genset then the dealer.

I contacted Winnie a year ago over a issue with a slide ou issue that was proving hard to troubleshoot. Iím WELL outside of warranty and the 3rd owner of my coach, and while no they didnít pay for the repair, they did fall all over themselves providing me drawings and connecting me with an engineer at the factory to help figure out whatís going on. Final Credit goes to Hills RV in NH for the amazing diagnosis and even more amazing repair (whole different post on that), but Winnie stayed in contact with me the whole time.

Give them a call/email if the dealer isnít taking care of you on the issues with the ďhouseĒ and if Onan wonít help on th Genset.

Deep breath and congrats on the new rig!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #12

I understand some of the frustration but there's really nothing to get overly angsty about. Being a new RV, we tend to think there shouldn't and won't be any problems. Unfortunately, that ain't the way it usually works out. It may be a pain having to set up appointments, having to drive in for repairs, and then having to wait for those repairs to be made, but warranty will cover the repairs.

With RVs, there are quality issues these days. No doubt people buy RVs thinking they'll behave like their automobiles with little or no issues but this is a rarity for most RVs since there is such a multitude of things to go wrong.

On the malfunctions,,, It's probably a door switch magnet adjustment issue with the steps. Really minor and easily fixed if so. The generator,,. Could it be that fuel level is down to a quarter in the tank? If not, I'd at least visually check to make sure something simple wasn't going on, maybe wire came loose for example
Old 01-14-2019, 12:02 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammax View Post
Well here we are....We purchased a NEW Class A in September. Haven't went anywhere yet. Done the right things as far as running the motor and generator.
Well this past week the generator run 1 1/2 minutes and now won't start. Seems like there's fuel and spark. Tank over 1/2 full. Then to top it off the steps keep going in and out at random even while I'm taking it back to the dealer. Well I get to the dealer and.....The steps might be repairable under warranty. (we shall see) Now they tell me I must take it to the Onan Dealer for any repairs on the generator. If under warranty I need to call Winnebago first to get it approved. BULL#%!t. So I have to get an appointment with the Cummins Onan dealer to get them to look at it. If I can get past their attitude.
WHY can't the Dealer who I purchased this POS from handle warranties??
I predict I'll end up paying for the repairs out of my pocket. If I do and cannot get reimbursed for my expenses it'll be up for sale. I'll be letting you know how this turns out.
Oh!! How does RV service centers justify $150.00 and hour??
They sure aren't that in the know.....
I've always done my own repairs and oil change. A big OUCH to you dealers...

OK you state you bought this MH New in September of 2018?
IF so then it is still under Winnebago warranty. You get 12 months and so many thousand miles. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. If they can't then they need to take it someone that can. If they do't want to then you need to call Winnebago and have a discussion with them about it.
Before you do all of this fill the tank with gas and try the generator again also trip the 2 circuit breakers on the generator and reset them. Then try to start it again.
Oh yeah look underneath to ensure that some thing has not chewed thru any wires at the generator going to the fuel pump.

Could you please fill out your signature with your information so we can better help you.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:10 PM   #14

I wouldn't want you to suffer any longer.

Providing on model and length (and assuming clear title), I'll give you $25K cash for it...…...

DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago