Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to iaflier Send a message via MSN to iaflier
Newbie - Am I missing something?

Hi Everyone!

Been reading a lot of posts on this site and others trying to find out as much information about RVing as possible.

We are considering buying a Motor Home.

My wife is retiring this year and I'll be retiring within the next 5 years or so. We bought a Ranger UTV last year and have been surprised at how much fun we've had with it so far!

This brings us to wondering if we are missing some fun with a motor home! Neither of us have done any camping so this is all new to us.

We've narrowed it down to a Class A if we decide to buy one. The fifth wheels are nice and roomy but it requires a heavy duty pickup to tow it. And I didn't think I wanted to mess with the extra hookups and such. We thought the MH would be a better fit because we are planning on traveling the US and visit as many states as possible in the next few years. Until I retire we will be limited to a couple weeks through the year and long weekends.

There are so many choices out there! I've been looking at Thor toy haulers but not sure how much we would bring the UTV. Or if we would like the loft bedroom. They seem to be harder to find on the used market or have been for sale for a long time so I'm wondering about resale.

Would I be better off with or without the garage? If I buy one with the garage I would need at least a 12 ft garage because a 10 ft would be too small and a 12 ft would handle a smart car if I didn't want to tow a car.

Is gas better than Diesel or Diesel better than gas?

If I buy a used one is there some kind of checklist to go through to make sure you checkout as much as possible before the sale?

What are the most important items to check on a used RV?

Any help would be appreciated!
iaflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Can't help you with the motorhomes were in the travel trailers but it's great to see you here.

ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #3

A motor home is probably going to dictate a toad so you can get around. so, where are you going to put your toys? Motor home is going to mean additional maintenance on the second drive train. In addition to the higher cost of maintenance. Heck a set of MH tires could cost you 3 to 4 thousand dollars. Whereas a correctly equipped trailer, fiver or TT could eliminate one drive train and still allow you to take the toy with you. Your choice of course, but if cost is the least bit of a consideration, look closer at how much it is going to cost you before you buy.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think the first thing you have to figure out are you going to want your Ranger UTV with you. Do you want that lifestyle? Out west you see tons of 5er toy haulers as there is so many places to ride. In the east, not so much...My home state of Ohio is sort of anti-ATV / UTV

With a motorhome your almost going to have to invest in the extra equipment for towing the toad. Figure $80k minimum for a base motorhome (gas) up to $125k for a decent gas motorhome.

5ers on the other hand base ones start in the $30's plus a truck. Nice used 3/4 or 1 ton diesel for $20k, new ones start in the low $40's
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had a 5er toyhauler and currently pull a stacker. Both work for us.

UTV - Yes. If you are going boon docking the best part will be the amount of land available for exploration. At least the boon dockers we have observed.

If you have a 5er and truck you will soon become accustomed to hooking up and driving it.

If you have a coach and trailer you will have to include a vehicle for doing 'chores' like going for groceries.

Both have benefits and drawbacks. Not having one or the other is the biggest downside as you are missing a great experience, many new friends and a great lifestyle.

Suggest you create a list of needs, wants and nice to haves and post it so we can help refine your search.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to an RV show this weekend so maybe that will help with some of those questions.

There are some really nice 5th wheels out there and they are very roomy.

Both have pros and cons
Old 02-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #7

For me the real question would be are you going or travel or are you going to be stationary:banghead for months at a time? If your going to be on the go get a DP.......JMHO.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I've researched both 5th wheels and Motor Homes. As far as I can tell I would have similar dollars in either one. The 5th wheels are very nice and spacious and I've really looked hard at them.

If I buy a 5th Wheel then I would have to trade pickups or buy a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to pull it.

If I buy a Motor Home then I will have to tow a car but I already have a car trailer and car.

I think we will be traveling more with it than stationary that's why I was leaning more to the Motorhome. I was told it was more convenient going down the road than towing a 5th wheel.

I've looked at a lot of 5th Wheel ads that stated the owners what to move to a class A motorhome as the reason for the sale. I have yet to see an ad going from a Class A to a 5th wheel.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Do your research -

WHY do you want a MH ?
What would you do With a MH:
Where would you GO with a MH?
how Would you finance a MH?

Answer these question and then you can decide.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:18 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaflier View Post
If I buy one with the garage I would need at least a 12 ft garage because a 10 ft would be too small and a 12 ft would handle a smart car if I didn't want to tow a car.
I am into vintage racing and I looked for along time trying to find a toy hauler longer than 9.6' (they claim 10' but 9.6' usable) We were not able to find anything with that large of a garage. We look in to something that we could extend the center of the garage enough for the nose of a 11' open wheel race car could protrude with minor modifications without any luck. So we ended up with a DP and an enclosed trailer. Maybe times have changed but when we look we couldn't find a 12' garage. I did at one time have an enclosed car hauler with a small 5' sleeping area in the front. But got rid of it because it was a pig to tow and always smelled like gas in the sleeping area.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:45 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Newbie - Am I missing something?

Thanks for all the comments

I went to an RV show this weekend which made it possible to see many brands and types all under one roof.

I spoke to a lot of owners and learned a lot about MH's and 5th whls. After looking at all the choices I don't think the 5th wheel is what I'm looking for. I think I would rather pull a car behind the MH than pull the 5th wheel.

For what I'm planning on doing with it that seems to be the best way to go. I looked at a few toy hauler MH but it only had a 10ft garage and it really messed up the floor plan in my opinion. I did find a used Outlaw 3808 with a 12ft garage. Anyone have any experiences with those? This one is across the country from me so it makes it hard to go look at it. Not sure I like the bunk for the bedroom.

The next question is the diesel pusher that much better than gas? It seems you can buy a fairly new gas MH for a lot less than DP 10 years older.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaflier View Post
Thanks for all the comments

I went to an RV show this weekend which made it possible to see many brands and types all under one roof.

I spoke to a lot of owners and learned a lot about MH's and 5th whls. After looking at all the choices I don't think the 5th wheel is what I'm looking for. I think I would rather pull a car behind the MH than pull the 5th wheel.

For what I'm planning on doing with it that seems to be the best way to go. I looked at a few toy hauler MH but it only had a 10ft garage and it really messed up the floor plan in my opinion. I did find a used Outlaw 3808 with a 12ft garage. Anyone have any experiences with those? This one is across the country from me so it makes it hard to go look at it. Not sure I like the bunk for the bedroom.

The next question is the diesel pusher that much better than gas? It seems you can buy a fairly new gas MH for a lot less than DP 10 years older.
If you are looking for a diesel toyhauler the Super C is a good consideration as well.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #13

I was originally looking at a 5ver as well. But when I started crunching MY numbers , I was looking at 50K - 60K for the 5ver and another 50K for the 1 ton diesel dully to pull it. When I considered the simple fact that I would not want the truck to be my daily driver, I was still looking at 100K sitting at the street and only being used when we were camping.

we ended up getting a brand new 2014 Newmar Bay Star class A, and am 100% convinced we made the right decision.

Do yourself a favor and rent a Class A for a week. See if the trip is more enjoyable than riding in a truck. Not meaning to throw shade on those that travel by truck or pull a trailer. We did that for 13 years, and it was great. We just like the Class A better.

Gas or diesel, short or long, pull a toad, or pull a trailer. The choices are many, and what works for us may not for you. Lots of reading. Lots of comparing, and thinking.

Good luck. It may seem like a daunting task, but it just takes time.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:09 AM   #14

It's ALWAYS fun spending someone else's money. So, in the spirit of that revelation, try and find a quality 40+ foot diesel pusher M/H and a stacker trailer. The M/H should have 450 - 500 HP with a ton of torque while sipping diesel at the rate of 6 to 7 mpg. I've forgiven the normal 10% commission on the $250,000 of your money I just spent, so that should put a smile on your face. Seriously, things have a way of working themselves out. The more you look at your options, the clearer the picture will become.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags