Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #1

Newbie checking in

Just checking in. I've registered here since I'm looking for and researching motor homes. My only experience is with a 1973 Dodge maxivan and some floating "RVs"(cruising boats). I've been doing some exhausting research and have some very good ideas about what I want and need but opinions from experience would be great for my decision making.
What I've come up with so far, but not concrete yet, is a Class A wither toy hauler or towing the toys and a diesel. My only problem with a diesel is the limited choices out there in toy haulers.
I really like the Newmar All Star 4257 and see a few for sale, but have read some negative comments about the mid engine configuration. I also like the Damon Outlaw diesel but they seem to be fairly rare. As I stated I'm open minded yet as far as diesel/gas and toy hauler or not but it would take some convincing to get me into a gasser. I have a Ram 3500 and absolutely love the Cummins power and economy.
I'll do some searches and reading, but if anyone wants to direct my questions to a specific forum here I'll post there.

Thank you,
Dave
0369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard Dave. Best of luck in your search and decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:20 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club

Good luck with your search.

Safe and Happy Travels.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully can find one by early spring but I'll definitely wait instead of settling.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

Welcome to the irv2 gang, Dave! You certainly found a great place to do your research. Folks here are very knowledgeable and have helped us a lot with out search for the right MH. We ended up with a gasser, so I'm not sure I can offer much info. But...there are lots of folks here with plenty of insight to share. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club

Good luck with your search, Dave. I wish I knew more about toy haulers to help you.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your research.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #9

Many thanks for the welcomes! I've been going through threads to get more insight and I am learning a lot. I have to find some pictures of the engine access on the Newmar mid-engine Class As to see how bad it may be. I'm used to cruising boats and I don't think the access could be any worse. I had to pull the port engine just to replace a water heater in my boat!
The Newmar 4257 seems to be exactly what I want as long as I can get at the engine and there are a few for sale. The prices seem to go from $130s to $160,000 for the 2009. I should have been planning for more than the past year so I had a better idea about used prices. If the Canyon Star had a Cummins or the Outlaw still had one I'd consider new, but it seems I have to go used to get a diesel. I do think the diesel will be worth it since I plan on using it quite a bit. I usually put on 6 times the national average for boating hours on the boats and the rv will put the boat on hold.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Just out of curiosity how do you expect a diesel pusher to be a toy hauler when most DP's have the engine in the rear.

Secondly what is wrong with a gas toy hauler as they are very popular. Gas is cheaper at the pump, maintenance is cheaper on a gasser and it performs as good or not better than a dp. In my estimation the only good thing about a dp is the air ride and the engine will go over 100,000 miles.

I'm on my 4th Gas motor home and have loved working on every one of them without breaking the bank.

If a diesel sits for any length of time you have to worry about algae buildup too. Also when fueling a DP you have to do it slow or you get nothing but foam.

Lastly I think you should buy a gas toy hauler and get out there and enjoy yourself and what God created.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #11

I don't remember mentioning a pusher, just diesel. The outlaw and the All Star diesels were front and mid engine toy haulers. As for my reasons for wanting a diesel: I left gas trucks years ago and like the mileage, power, torque, and longevity vs. gas engines. I'm very familiar with Cummins which seems to be the engine of choice until the size gets out of my price range and they are much easier to work on than most realize.
I might be persuaded to buy a gasser, but with my experiences between gas and diesel trucks it would be very difficult convince me performance and economy of a gas engine would beat a diesel of similar size. I average almost double the mpg with my Cummins powered pickup truck than I did with a gas engine of almost equal displacement. Add more wight and the mileage of a gas rig will drop faster than a diesel. The Average price difference per gallon is more than offset with the miles per gallon advantage that I have with the diesel. Pulling equal loads, the diesel, which actually had less hp left the gas truck wanting for more while more than doubling the mpg.
I can say this though Tom-NC, when you said get a gasser get out and use it, it would probably speed up the process and make it easier for me to find an RV. I'll have to read some mileage threads on the gas engines and do some more research. Thanks for the post!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Welcome and best luck on the search. Sadly, you are right, there are no new Diesel powered Class A Toy Haulers.

But, there is a Super C Outlaw riding on a Diesel powered Ford F550 cab/chassis:
2015 Outlaw Toy Hauler Motorhomes: Gas & Diesel, Class A & C RVs

For used, besides the AllStar ME's and FRED Outlaw, there was a FRED Gulf Stream Bounty Hunter. See:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/clas...rs-130973.html

And, right now there is a sweet FRED Outlaw 3612 (optional Murphy Bed changes the 3611) available in TX:
#C1599 - 2009 Damon Outlaw 3612 Toy Hauler W/Slide for sale in Alvarado TX
I have no affiliation, but they are very rare, so I have been watching the ad.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:02 AM   #13

Thanks Scarab0088. There is a '09 Outlaw 3808 in Illinois that I'm going to go look at when I get a chance that'[s a few thousand cheaper than the one at MHS and while I wouldn't mind a C or Super C, my wife seems to like the Class As. If a really good deal would pop up close to home my criteria could change but the good thing is being late in the season I can afford to wait for a good deal without compromising.
I should probably state my intended use in case it may help with my selection with all of the experience here. We're moving to Arizona in a few years and I plan on taking a trip to look at properties come spring and figured an RV would be a good way to go, and then use it between now and the move. If we purchase raw property we'd stay in the RV while building a house.
There will probably be trips in the Rockies which is another reason I want a diesel and the toy hauler idea is just to eliminate the towing headaches but I'm not dead set against towing a trailer behind a non-toyhauler. My price range is somewhat open, but I'd like to stay below $150,000. I thought about a lower price cap and realized that would limit my choices too much or steer me towards an older money pit since what I've read so far makes the maintenance and repair expenses similar to boats with the same amenities. For now I'm going to keep going through the threads here and absorb what I can about the different brands, features and floor plans.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:05 AM   #14

howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags