Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #1

I can easily see why connecting to park eletricity is a good thing but am wondering about water and sewer.

If I have a full tank what advantage is there in using park water? Likewise for sewer ... if I have an EMPTY

A banjo will get you through a time of no money much better than money will get you through a time of no banjo.
Banjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #2

I can easily see why connecting to park eletricity is a good thing but am wondering about water and sewer.

If I have a full tank what advantage is there in using park water? Likewise for sewer ... if I have an EMPTY

A banjo will get you through a time of no money much better than money will get you through a time of no banjo.
Banjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #3

For water, if you have a full tank, then not much difference. When I know I am camping in a park, I dont carry the extra weight of a full tank of water. As far as sewer, even if you connect, don't leave the valves open, let it get 3/4 full then dump at the end, unless you aren't goint to be using it for a while. Mostly the hookups are there for your convenience, to use or not. But if not using, why pay the extra?

On edit, actually there is a reason for hooking up. That is that with a water hookup you don't have to run your pump for water, so is quieter and a steadier stream of water. But be sure you have a water filter in place.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #4

Regarding hookups: We have found that it is a good idea to hook up even though we keep our tank full. One reason is that we are workampers and have a washer/dryer combo and so need the drain open when using it. Also on several occasions our water was shut off due to park problems so we could at least shower and cook. We also keep our black water tank closed till it is nearly full or we fill it to dump just to insure it drains as much as possible. The weight doesn't concern me as much as the convenience of having it available when we want and need it. We haave had times when traveling that we only hooked up to electric as we were only staying overnight. It is up to you what you need and desire.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Banjar, you may do alot of dry camping at rallys for picking and can use a full tank of water. You have to consider the cost of hauling that full tank, gas mileage and wear on your coach chassis springs,tires drive train etc,etc.
Water weighs 8.33 per gal. if you have a 100 gal tank thats 833lbs added to your chassis. I have three holding tanks in my coach 2 black and gray if full would be another 1208 lbs than you add 10 gal WH, LP tank, and a 75gal gas tank. The weight of these items can really add up and most is just liquids. You have already added needs to carry your home goods,your body and food weights.
As you travel your weights will change and shift on your chassis changing the driving habits of your coach.
What everyone before me has said is true and you can add what I have said to it. Not trying to tell you what to do thats your choice but just consider what we have all said and use your best judgement.
Most RV'ers travel with enough water for use to next destination. When your parked in camp site fill to hearts content but DUMP before going back on road and save yourself some money for a new banjo. Good and safe travels. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote