Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #1

Where can I find basic info on "what to do's" and "how to do" when getting setup at our first rv site
ie; what to connect what to level what to look for etc?

This is our first baby

Bobby, Motty (Flossy)
bris48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2006, 04:38 PM   #2

Where can I find basic info on "what to do's" and "how to do" when getting setup at our first rv site
ie; what to connect what to level what to look for etc?

This is our first baby

Bobby, Motty (Flossy)
Old 02-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #3

The Fleetwood manual that should have come with your coach should give you a lot of initial information on travel, camping, and maintenance.
Wagonmaster2
Old 02-05-2006, 07:12 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
There will be fellow RV'rs in the RV park that you goto that will be thrilled to help you. Just explain your inexperience and ask someone nearby.

In the RV culture there is no stigma with being new, as at one time we all were new. Even the 'old guard' learns new things from the rest of us. This is really a big part of the success of IRV2. Most of the dealers of motor-coaches will be willing to spend some time teaching you, even if you did not purchase from them.

Our first time at a park we entertained some very good natured RV'rs watching us back in to a site. We asked one for some ideas after explaining our being new.(as though it was not already obvious) We spent the next three hours getting more information, tips, techniques, and instruction. Now six years later we still keep in touch with our found friends and have spent many hours ourselves helping others.

I would venture to say that experience has been repeted by most IR2 members.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to IRV2.
Being new to RVing I'm sure you'll find lots of help here from others who have been there and done that.

At first I would recommend that you use a set of inexpensive FRS radios and have an assistant stand out back and help guide you into your spot. That way you won't impact any of the "fixed items" in your campsite.

The next thing I would do is scope out your site before backing in (or pulling through). You will want to position the coach properly. You'll want to conside where your slideouts are so that they don't intrude upon pedestals, trees, etc. This may necessitate edging your RV to one side of the parking pad rather than perfectly centered. Also, you'll want to decide how far in to pull the rig. Fresh water hoses and electrical cords are flexible but sewer hoses aren't. Ideally you'll want to line it up so that the sewer connection is at a handy distance from the holding tank dump valve. If it's too far you'll have to stretch you sewer hose or add extensions and if it's too close you'll have it all knotted up in an "S" and it won't dump as easily. Sometimes you'll find it's easier to move the RV ahead and park the toad behind and sometimes it's better to keep the RV back and park the toad in front. Each site is different.

Once you have the RV positioned to your liking, shut it off and bring down the leveling jacks. Once it's level, bring out your slides and connect your electrical cord. Hopefully you have surge protector of some sort. There's lots of horror stories about expensive repairs to the RV's electrical systems due to surges or brownouts.

Next hook up your water and sewer hoses. Using a good water filter and a pressure regulator are also important add-ons. Some campgrounds have very high water pressure and things can go "pop" and spring a leak in the RV if you don't have a regulator.

Finally, turn on the electric hot water heater, set the A/C or heat thermostat to where you like it, fire up the TV, and kick back and relax. Don't forget - RV also stands for "Relaxation Vehicle".
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:08 AM   #6

bris48, Welcome to the IRV2 website, glad you found our frienly site, do everything slow at first and with a purpose, then if you get stuck just ask you neighbor or neighbors you'll see they will be more than willing to help you. Ed.S
Old 02-06-2006, 12:18 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
bris48, I sent you a private message.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Here are two checklists....you can "adapt" them by adding or subtracting as you see fit...just some ideas.

What to bring....checklist

Ptr-travel checklist
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
bris> Welcome to the forum. Some of the nicest folks you will ever meet. Don't be afraid to try things out. I recall our first trip several years ago in a '94 Coachmen PD (32'ft I think) We had the coach about a week and decided that on a Friday, we would visit a nearby state park on Lake Hartwell here in N. Georgia. I was to get the coach set up and my wife was to meet me at the CG.
I pulled into the park with my chest puffed out, so proud of this "new to us" coach. Got the levelers down and set etc.
Pulled out the 50 amp shore line and drug it over to the pedestal. Opened the hinged lid and found....thiry amp hookup. I was so naieve that I never even considered a park might have a different type of service. Wife arrived and saw I was worried. We ended up at a Wally World several miles up the road and bought enough supplies for me to cobble a connection (glad the ranger did not see how I had this thing rigged!
Necessity being the mother of invention, I was able to get us power for the night until the next AM when we went to a RV dealer and bought a 30-50 dogbone. We had so much fun learning things in that RV. I still have a few pictures of the coach and some of the trips we made, but none of that first night electrical hookup.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Bris48,

To echo my fellow Rvers here, we were all new at one time! So take your time, don't worry about asking for help here or at a campground, we are all a friendly bunch! Relax and enjoy the great RV lifestyle!! Help is only a site or keyboard away !!
Old 02-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
To add to Cruzer's list:
Try to position the coach in the site where it is reasonably level without the use of the jacks and still within reach of electrical, water and sewer as Cruzer stated. The jacks can only do so much to level the coach. it is wise to have some boards that, if necessary, you can drive one or more wheels up onto to level the coach better. When using the jacks to level, it is ok to raise the FRONT tires off the ground if necessary, but BUT DONT RAISE THE BACKS.You will find out after a couple of tries, just how much leveling the jacks can do. You will need boards to put under the jacks for a couple of reasons. One is in soft ground, so the jacks dont sink. The other time is when, beacuse of how the coach is sitting, the jacks my not reach all the way to ground or give you the extension you need.

When you go to use the jacks, it is recommened that you level side to side first, then front to back.

Electrical hookup-- if you have 50amp service in your rig, you want a 30 amp pigtail so you can plug into 30amp service. I have 30amp service and carry a 50amp pigtail cause I have found sometimes it is better to plug into the 50amp outlet at the park(if one is available) rather than the 30amp outlet. It is more forgiving when I run my A/c etc and get close to the 30amp limit on the circuit breaker that I am plugged into.

Is this your very first RV or just your first motorhome? Also list what year etc your rig is in your signature line so maybe we can help you with specifics to your rig.

Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #12

I want to thank all of you --I can tell this is going to be lots of fun---your info has helped us very very much
Thanks again
Bobby

Bobby, Motty (Flossy)
Old 02-07-2006, 03:10 PM   #13
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Bobby,

Glad we have been of some help already !! Not sure where your from but maybe we will meet up at one of the National or local rallies, or just happen to be in the same campground sometime . Remember don't worry about being new just relax and enjoy this great lifestyle!!!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #14

Take your time.
Get out of the MH and walk the site to check it out before you back in. If you travel with another person always have them get out and give you directions while backing in.
Hang something off your TV ant. crank to remind you that the ant. is in the up position so you know to retract it before you drive off. Always walk around your MH before leaving to make sure you are disconnected,basement doors closed,etc.
When you pull out of the site stop and someone should go back to make sure you didn't leave anything behind.
Take your time.

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote