Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #15

You're describing pretty much where I currently full-time. It got down into the mid-20's last night and will only be in the high 40's or low 50's today. Here in the Hill Country of Texas, we don't get many hard freezes so I don't think about my water input or output very much.

The way I'm set up for Winter living (heated city water supply hose, etc) I wouldn't change anything should I go away for a few days. By keeping the interior comfortably above 65-degrees F, my hot water heater and most water supply lines are safe from freezing unless a really nasty Siberian Express makes it this far South. (To save propane, I only turn on my hot water heater first thing each morning for a shower and shave. Otherwise it's off)

But with that being said, I believe your suggestions would pretty much insure there would be no frozen/broken pipes upon your return. But I'm not an expert on unattended units. I've never even purchased any of that pink potable antifreeze. No doubt someone else reading this thread will be able to offer a more learned response to your question.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for taking the time to post your opinion, Volunteer.

Yeah, I'm hoping that I'll be ok leaving for a few days. If I was in a climate where the daytime temperatures stayed below freezing, I'd definitely take more precautions. However, as I say, below freezing temperatures usually only last for a few hours here. I don't believe a long enough time to cause a hard freeze. But, we'll see what happens. I'm hoping I won't come back to split open pipes.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post your opinion, Volunteer.

Yeah, I'm hoping that I'll be ok leaving for a few days. If I was in a climate where the daytime temperatures stayed below freezing, I'd definitely take more precautions. However, as I say, below freezing temperatures usually only last for a few hours here. I don't believe a long enough time to cause a hard freeze. But, we'll see what happens. I'm hoping I won't come back to split open pipes.
turn off your water pump and depressurize the lines as a precaution.
if the lines do freeze as mine did once, they not as likely to burst will not flood you moho when they thaw out.

i installed 3 wired indoor-outdoor temp gauge from harbor freight in my basement compartments. so, no guesswork for me anymore.
wireless gauges are available.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #18

You are in a solid, well insulated coach. For starters, pull all your slides in. No need trying to heat 400+ sq.ft. of living space when you are not there. Next, will you be plugged in or boondocking? If you are plugged in to shore power get a heat lamp from the hardware store and keep it on in your wet bay. Better yet, put one of those 1500w electric heaters down there. Set the coach furnace to about 50 and you'll be fine. If you are boondocking that will be a challenge. Does your genny have an autostart feature? If not, I'd keep the furnace about 50, depressurize the water supply keeping the faucets open and hope for the best. Whether plugged in or not, remember to open all cabinet doors where water lines are located.

In the future, get a wireless thermometer with 2 or 3 sending units and place them in different areas of your bays to get an idea of what's happening down there. On my coach things stay pretty toasty down there even in single digits. Good luck, RV'ing in the winter is pretty cool, no pun intended.

Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold, heating, pipes, winter