Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #1

Newbie questions

Hello! I am buying a 40' living quarters horse trailer custom built to drive around the US showing, trail riding, and working on a project for a future barn. This is all new to me however and I have lots of questions regarding building this trailer.

1. What size generator should I look to get and where is it best to mount it? One conversion place said the roof of the trailer and the manufacturer I am negotiating with said the bed of my truck. Folks have said not the bed of the truck because its likely to be stolen there.

2. How difficult is it to customize the bathroom in a trailer? What should I watch for? I need it to he handy-accessible and so an old fashioned type tub with exposed plumbing and hand held shower head would be best but I seem to be encountering resistance.

3. Any other general tips for hauling, care, selection, and maintenance much appreciated!
CMotskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

A definite NO to a generator on the roof. While it would seem a logical place because of the available room, the noise would carry and make very unhappy neighbors.

I carry a Honda 2000i generator, and use it on the ground, next, and secured to, the RV when stopped and needed.

All WORK is doable with time and prudent thought.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

Determine how large of generator you need, then build in the spot.

There are many places that a generator can go, since you will need to store it while driving the space argument is moot.

Mountain to top will make the roof a resonator, very loud, save that space for bales.

There are many of these trailers on the road, i am sure one or more manufacturers have figured it out, you may need to look at other vendors for ideas
Old 01-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

Thank you! I will continue to look into this for sure but good to know roof is out
CMotskus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #5

OK CM,
I have seen this done. Actually, I saw it because I did it for a client. I did not build it, a local trailer shop did, but I did the technical installation.

What this one had to be was a 4 horse trailer, tack room (accessed from outside) and living quarters for two. It was a full 8' wide and the living quarters were at the truck end. I usually only work on sailboats, but good clients can ask for anything. It had one air conditioner, and a galley. It did not have a shower, but the euphamism/head/toilet was only a portapotty with removable tank. The galley was served by a hand pump and two portable 5 gal jugs (clean and dirty). It had a securely restrained camp stove and a microwave. It also had a small roof air unit. The microwave and the A/C ran on a not tiny (3000W?) Honda genset. More about this.

Unless you pop for an installable RV unit ($$), you will have to make a space for a portable and then protect it both from wandering off and weather. If you have them install an RV unit, it will cost you more and servicing it will be a task. What I got done was successful. It was a slide out tray to carry the almost 200# generator inside a closed and locked space. The generator was solidly bolted to the tray. It could be slid out to run or for service. We wanted to make it run when closed in, but the cooling air was an issue as was the exhaust.

What ever APU/genset you end up thinking about, make sure the it will start whatever you want to run. Many of the new inverter types may have the power capability to run something like an A/C unit, but cannot handle the starting load of the compressor.

Good Luck

Matt
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

The generator size is a question best answered by working out what you expect it to do, just charge batteries and run a few lights or run a rock concert.
Anything form a 1.5 -2KVA could be a good option and there are portable gen sets from Honda and other major brands that are whisper quiet and can be stored in a locker and not need to be built in.
Its difficult to give advise with out knowing more about what you would like as an end result.
I have built a number of motor homes and been involved with upgrades, mods and the like on many others.
I also worked on horse trucks with accomodations back home in New Zealand.

Folks on here are correct you don't want a generator on the roof, bad idea.
Not sure why your getting resistance to a basic shower bath area with exposed plumbing etc.
It does not have to be flash to be functional.
I don't see an issue with putting a gen set on the back of the truck, I know other that have done this here in Mo and its fine you can bolt them down and build a frame around it making it very difficult to steal.

This also means it also keeps the vibration out of the trailer and means you don't need to worry about insulation from the noise.
It can also be set up to take fuel from the truck fuel tank if its of the same type.

If you need more advise please Pm me im happy to help, Im in St Louis Mo if your nearby.
All the best
Rusty
honkytonkinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags