Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #1

Newbie seeking advice: short Class A or Class C?

Just starting to research late model used MHs and am considering a 25-27 foot Class C (just two of us). I have noticed that there are Class A MHs in this range as well. For trips lasting a week to several weeks, which class would be better from a driver experience standpoint? Is maneuverability better with one vs. the other? Visibility? Any other considerations I should think about (besides floor plans)? I won't be towing a vehicle. Thanks in advance.
Cebuano54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebuano54 View Post
Is maneuverability better with one vs. the other? Visibility? Any other considerations I should think about (besides floor plans)? I won't be towing a vehicle. Thanks in advance.
My motor homes have been Class A, visibility may be better in a Class A as you sit higher and chances are a larger windshield.

On the other hand - - driving a Class C would be more like driving a van versus a bus. Not sure this would help maneuverability but may seem a little more user friendly - ?

No matter what you purchase, they are a motor home, not a car and requires the operator to know the size, weight, and handling characteristics of the vehicle.

Not sure if this helps but hopefully gives you something to consider.

Good luck - and it will be easy to figure out - - take a lot of road tests in the motor homes you are looking at.

g
Old 10-21-2016, 04:59 AM   #3

More storage in a class A for your DWs shoes
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebuano54 View Post
Just starting to research late model used MHs and am considering a 25-27 foot Class C (just two of us). I have noticed that there are Class A MHs in this range as well. For trips lasting a week to several weeks, which class would be better from a driver experience standpoint? Is maneuverability better with one vs. the other? Visibility? Any other considerations I should think about (besides floor plans)? I won't be towing a vehicle. Thanks in advance.
My Two cents --

Having owned 3 Class C's and one, 27 foot Class A, wife and I much prefer the Class C units for their driveability. Yeah I know, this runs counter to what most folks who have owned both will tell you but wife and I never got used to not having driver and passenger door access PLUS the inability to roll down the windows. We also hated the "bus" feel of the Class A. The C's closely resembled my F150 in driveability.

Cheers!
kayserc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:35 AM   #5

Test drive both. It's an individual thing. Some folks love the high up world view of the A, some want the steel shell of the C.

(Wifes shoes go in the overhead bunk on the C. ;-)) )
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The wife likes the C better while driving, she feels safer. As for visability I don't feel there is much difference. As to driving not much difference. As to storage, depends on maker and model. If I were looking again with your specs and your wife likes an A, I would go for a two slide A, if she doesn't like the A riding out in the air feeling I would go to a two slide C. In either case the floor plan that YOU like.
I have owned both gas and diesel A's and C's.

LEN
Old 10-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #7

I have driven A, B and C types
Nothing beats the view from a Class A windshield
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are absolutely sure that you want to stay in the 25 to 27 ft length, then I would stick with a Class C. They're pretty intuitive to drive, given similarities to pickups/small trucks. There also are a number of manufacturers and you should find many places for service if needed.

However, I'd recommend viewing/driving a small class A, say a 32/33 gas model and do a comparison. Drive both, park both, and put the slides out in both. Imagine yourself cooking, relaxing, sleeping. Do you have enough room to move around if you're stuck inside in bad weather for a day? Are the tanks and battery banks large enough to support the type of travel you intend to do?

Only you can decide how much space you need/want, how comfortable you are driving it, how comfortable you are staying in it, and how much you're willing to spend.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
3 years experience in a class C and 3 weeks experience in a class A. I find that the Class C handling was not much different from my pickup. My A has a drivers door and electric window so there wasn't a change for me. I'm still getting used to the A. Many say that in the event of an accident the C is safer. Wife likes the panoramic view in the A while I don't notice the difference in view as much since I'm concentrating on the road. When parked the A has much more living space and we don't feel as cramped. The full sized queen bed is so nice after the short camper queen. IMHO you'll spend more time living in it than driving it so get the living space that you feel suits your needs.
TnThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We owned a 30' Class C for 11 years and then transitioned to a ~40' Class A DP for the last 9 years.

Both my wife & I believe the Class A is far superior to the Class C.

Better visibility,

Better stability especially in windy conditions or when being passed by another big rig.

Less noise since the engine is way in the back. Also cooler to drive, the Class C dog house would get so hot you'd burn your feet on it if touched.

Far more comfortable, air ride, nice big seats with arm rests.

The Class A is also easier to get up and move around it.

That being said, I took a ride with a friend in there Class A with front engine, scared me to death the way it rocked and rolled as we were driving down the road.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:16 PM   #11

My opinion:

Class C has a lot of wasted (read: unusable) space in the hood and front driver/passenger compartment. An "A" lets you use the whole thing from stem to stern. You acclimate to the "A" driving position quite quickly.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd really have to see statistics to convince me that a class C is safer than an A in an accident. If you look under the skin of both units you'll find a much more robust steel frame in the chassis of the A. And if you really look at where the passengers sit and how far the RV sits out in front of the passengers you'll find the distances are about the same for either one, and we sit much higher in the A and if we hit another vehicle it'll probably end up under us. I just think I'm at least as safe in my A as I was in the C that we used to own.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
My opinion:

Class C has a lot of wasted (read: unusable) space in the hood and front driver/passenger compartment. An "A" lets you use the whole thing from stem to stern. You acclimate to the "A" driving position quite quickly.
x2 plus I like the larger water capacity on the A.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We looked at both, drove both, and decided on the class A. We liked the option of turning the front seats around as part of the living area. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. You need to find what works for you. The transition from the front seat to the living area, bathroom, was less of a problem in the A vs the C for us.

Tags
advice, class a, class c, newbie