Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

Nexus RV - Purchasing Experience

Nexus RV – purchasing experience.

While many RV buyers are purchasing their 2nd, 3rd or 4th coach some are like my wife & me, first timers. It is an intimidating process to determine where to go, who to trust and what to purchase. It seems that you will never be sure you are making the right decision. The anxiety factor is increased dramatically when you realize this is going to be the 2nd largest purchase of your lifetime for most buyers. We spent several months researching and debating the questions of: What kind of motorhome? What floorplan? Which companies can we trust to deliver a reliable product? Next we visited a few local dealers to see the big ‘name brand’ RVs. After suffering at the hands of uninformed salesmen, we decided a trip to the RV capital of America, Elkhart Indiana was necessary for us to be sure that we would buy an RV we could trust and enjoy. Northern Indiana gave us the chance to see firsthand factories like Thor, Jayco and countless others. The major factor in going to Elkhart was to see Nexus RV, a company started just a few years ago but run by experienced RV people. Nexus does ‘factory-direct’ supplying, eliminating the middle-man and passing the savings on to the buyer in a lower price. While the price factor was attractive, we were especially interested in seeing Nexus’ use of innovative materials & construction techniques, as well as their willingness to provide a wide variety of customization options. It seemed that they would make our RV just the way we wanted our RV to be.

The decision to make the trip to Nexus was the smartest thing we did in our quest to buy our first RV. I had spoken with Dave Middleton, Vice-President of Nexus prior to our trip. We arrived a few weeks later at a clean and comfortable waiting area. We were expected and greeted on arrival. Within minutes were in the hands of Dave, his partner Claude Donati President of Nexus, and sales rep Loren Fairbotham. The Nexus showroom was large spotlessly clean. We had a chance to inspect each model of the Class C and Class B+ that Nexus builds. Next we were offered a tour of the factory floor. This was the first but not the last notable difference with Nexus and the other local factories. We were not restricted to seeing the factory at only 12 noon or 3 PM. Other factories schedule your visit when workers are off the floor so the production line can cleaned up to present a nice face to the customer – just not the real face of construction. At Nexus we were able to visit the factory floor multiple times and we chose when we did so. The ‘door was always open.’ We were able to walk the construction line, talk with workers and actually see RVs up close under construction. We saw the construction of the tubular steel sidewall and every other step in the construction phase.

Each and every Nexus employee was pleasant, informative and helpful. These qualities were most evident in Loren, our sales rep. Over a period of two days Loren spent over twelve hours with me and my wife patiently answering endless questions and making countless trips back out to the showroom floor to show us the options we were contemplating on the 31 foot Phantom that we had settled on.

The issue that plagued us before going to Nexus was whether we could rely on such a new company. Our trip answered this question with a resounding yes! We saw the impressive facilities at Nexus. We met many workers who showed enthusiasm and pride in talking with potential customers. On the factory floor we saw just how much attention and detail Nexus puts into their product. Unlike the big names, the coaches are not rolling down a production line with workers popping in a few items before the buzzer sounds moving things to the next section. Rather each team of workers completes a needed step, whether it is electrical or plumbing, and only after the installation is right does the coach move on to the next phase. If something is not quite right, it is fixed before it can move ahead. Perfection, not a time clock, controls the production schedule.

The nagging question of can we trust such a new company was really put to final rest by meeting the people. Claude, Dave and Loren proved to be friendly, open, experienced and trustworthy people. After meeting them we knew without doubt the trip to Elkhart Indiana was a smart thing. We easily and confidently decided that Nexus was the answer for us. We left Indiana part of the Nexus family and happy with our decision. This is truly an impressive company and a great bunch of people. We hope if you are looking for an RV that you take the opportunity to learn more about Nexus. We are sure you will be as rewarded as we were.

We will provide follow-up postings when we finally get our dream RV, a 31 foot class C Phantom, in April 2013. We hope your hunt for a new RV will be as successful as ours.

Bob Mills

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mills View Post
Nexus RV – purchasing experience.

While many RV buyers are purchasing their 2nd, 3rd or 4th coach some are like my wife & me, first timers. It is an intimidating process to determine where to go, who to trust and what to purchase. It seems that you will never be sure you are making the right decision. The anxiety factor is increased dramatically when you realize this is going to be the 2nd largest purchase of your lifetime for most buyers. We spent several months researching and debating the questions of: What kind of motorhome? What floorplan? Which companies can we trust to deliver a reliable product? Next we visited a few local dealers to see the big ‘name brand’ RVs. After suffering at the hands of uninformed salesmen, we decided a trip to the RV capital of America, Elkhart Indiana was necessary for us to be sure that we would buy an RV we could trust and enjoy. Northern Indiana gave us the chance to see firsthand factories like Thor, Jayco and countless others. The major factor in going to Elkhart was to see Nexus RV, a company started just a few years ago but run by experienced RV people. Nexus does ‘factory-direct’ supplying, eliminating the middle-man and passing the savings on to the buyer in a lower price. While the price factor was attractive, we were especially interested in seeing Nexus’ use of innovative materials & construction techniques, as well as their willingness to provide a wide variety of customization options. It seemed that they would make our RV just the way we wanted our RV to be.

The decision to make the trip to Nexus was the smartest thing we did in our quest to buy our first RV. I had spoken with Dave Middleton, Vice-President of Nexus prior to our trip. We arrived a few weeks later at a clean and comfortable waiting area. We were expected and greeted on arrival. Within minutes were in the hands of Dave, his partner Claude Donati President of Nexus, and sales rep Loren Fairbotham. The Nexus showroom was large spotlessly clean. We had a chance to inspect each model of the Class C and Class B+ that Nexus builds. Next we were offered a tour of the factory floor. This was the first but not the last notable difference with Nexus and the other local factories. We were not restricted to seeing the factory at only 12 noon or 3 PM. Other factories schedule your visit when workers are off the floor so the production line can cleaned up to present a nice face to the customer – just not the real face of construction. At Nexus we were able to visit the factory floor multiple times and we chose when we did so. The ‘door was always open.’ We were able to walk the construction line, talk with workers and actually see RVs up close under construction. We saw the construction of the tubular steel sidewall and every other step in the construction phase.

Each and every Nexus employee was pleasant, informative and helpful. These qualities were most evident in Loren, our sales rep. Over a period of two days Loren spent over twelve hours with me and my wife patiently answering endless questions and making countless trips back out to the showroom floor to show us the options we were contemplating on the 31 foot Phantom that we had settled on.

The issue that plagued us before going to Nexus was whether we could rely on such a new company. Our trip answered this question with a resounding yes! We saw the impressive facilities at Nexus. We met many workers who showed enthusiasm and pride in talking with potential customers. On the factory floor we saw just how much attention and detail Nexus puts into their product. Unlike the big names, the coaches are not rolling down a production line with workers popping in a few items before the buzzer sounds moving things to the next section. Rather each team of workers completes a needed step, whether it is electrical or plumbing, and only after the installation is right does the coach move on to the next phase. If something is not quite right, it is fixed before it can move ahead. Perfection, not a time clock, controls the production schedule.

The nagging question of can we trust such a new company was really put to final rest by meeting the people. Claude, Dave and Loren proved to be friendly, open, experienced and trustworthy people. After meeting them we knew without doubt the trip to Elkhart Indiana was a smart thing. We easily and confidently decided that Nexus was the answer for us. We left Indiana part of the Nexus family and happy with our decision. This is truly an impressive company and a great bunch of people. We hope if you are looking for an RV that you take the opportunity to learn more about Nexus. We are sure you will be as rewarded as we were.

We will provide follow-up postings when we finally get our dream RV, a 31 foot class C Phantom, in April 2013. We hope your hunt for a new RV will be as successful as ours.

Bob Mills
bob,
welcome to irv2.
nice write-up.
keep us posted on your new rv.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quite a first post! ...and very well written! ...reads like a professionally produced brochure!?! Pardon me if I sound a bit cynical (it's a "gift"), but if you are in fact a soon-to-be RV owner, I do sincerely hope reality is as rosy for you as the "dream".

Elkhart is a good place to get an idea of what some mrg'ers do, but many of the recognized quality mfg'ers have no presence in the Elkhart area, like Winnebago, Tiffin, and Foretravel for regular folks, and Newell and others for the much more "flush" buyers. Other mfg'ers also have the "open door" atmosphere, and I've never heard of factory tours only when workers are not present ...
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why is there always a cynic. Why is it impossible for a first time poster to be intelligent enough to write a post like this? Let's give it a chance to see if he runs into any issues. On a side note, this is not the first very positive posting I have seen about Nexus. No, I don't own one. No, I am not going to own one. My 06 National is going to have to last me.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

The cost of cynicism

Maybe AFChap should not be so proud of his cynicism for as Oscar Wilde said a "cynic is a man, who when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin." You might want to allow a bit more in your world. Would be happy to share my purchase contract with you (to prove that I am "in fact" a first time buyer) if this would make you a happier man. I may reveal my own pessimistic streak in saying I doubt that to be possible.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No need for anyone to prove anything to anyone here you expressed your opinion and someone else expressed theirs well within the parameters of the "Be Nice Rule".
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Bob, I to have purchased a Nexus RV as my first RV. My Nexus Viper 29v will also be ready in April. Claude and Karen have been so helpful and has answered all questions. My family and I went to Elkhart because I had narrowed down what I wanted. Claude sit down with me and we talked about my life style and how to make the RV my dream. It was such a wonderful experience.