Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

no 12v power

I started my generator today for the monthly exercise run and all
was good. I was in the drivers seat when I turned it off and had the
radio on. About a minute or so after I killed the generator, the radio went off as did the one ceiling light I had on. Tried other lights and nothing. I plugged the AC power back in and everything was fine. Unplugged
and 12v went dead after about a minute, plugged in and all OK.

So, house batteries dead?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like house batteries dead or the house disconnect if off, blocking 12v power.

How long did the generator run? Your batteries may well have been really dead after a month of no power, and running the genny for a short time doesn't do a whole lot to recharge. It may take several hours to reach even 50-60%.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #3

OK, didn't explain well. Rig is hooked to shore power all the time. I pulled it, ran the generator for 45 minutes and then began having the issue.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #4

For some reason the batteries are not charging when plugged in. The house batteries were dead before you started the generator.
Get out the multimeter and start checking the charger output, batteries and path to 12v fuse panel.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a BIRD System in your coach that will charge all your batteries house and chassis.
If you leave your coach plugged into house 120 power your batteries will stay charged as long as you have your battery cut-off switch on.
Read all the links within the provided link to get an idea how the system works.
Your BIRD will be in the black box with clear plastic cover right hand side of your fire wall and the MA's are way to right hard to work on if necessary.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

If I remember correctly the W22 chassis is gas which would use the Gas version of the BIRD. When the generator is running, the BIRD energizes the isolation relay allowing the chassis battery to be seen by the coach side. The BIRD is designed such that coach side charging voltage has to be removed (generator shut down) for approximately 1 minute before the BIRD will de-energize the isolation relay (disconnects chassis battery from coach side). At that point only coach battery is seen on coach side (shore power disconnected). If coach battery is good, then either your coach battery disconnect solinoid is turned OFF, or coach battery disconnect solinoid is bad, coach battery disconnect solinoid control switch is bad, missing voltage to the switch, you have a solinoid wiring problem, cable from coach battery to coach battery disconnect solinoid is open.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check under the hood. The fuse panel has a small circuit breaker built onto the circuit board. It is a small button near the edge. Mine is labeled CB 5. This Circuit breaker will kill all of the 12v to the MH. Just push the button in and your back in business.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

So yes, the batteries would appear to be dead. While plugged in the converter (or inverter, if equipped) will provide continuous 12v or while the generator runs. You rely on battery only when neither shore nor genny power is available. With no external power on, check the batteries for voltage right at the battery - should be 12.6 or better. If the battery voltage is ok, you have a blown fuse, open circuit breaker, or open relay preventing the battery power from reaching the coach. Which of those it may be depends on the electrcial system design in your gas chassis Mountainaire.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM   #9

Ok, I went out and pulled the battery tray out to check them and discovered my problem. One of the positive cable connectors has been eaten away and the cable was not connected to the battery. The other positive cable connector appears to be weakened and being eaten as well. The kicker is I had those connectors replaced 3-3-11 for the same problem. I guess I have two quesions: is this normal and if no, how do I prevent it?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #10

Oh, the batteries showed 12.92v
Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvkansas View Post
Ok, I went out and pulled the battery tray out to check them and discovered my problem. One of the positive cable connectors has been eaten away and the cable was not connected to the battery. The other positive cable connector appears to be weakened and being eaten as well. The kicker is I had those connectors replaced 3-3-11 for the same problem. I guess I have two quesions: is this normal and if no, how do I prevent it?

Thanks.
If the cables have been ''eaten away'' by the normal white stuff, clean the batteries (coke works good) then slather the posts with Vaseline, or something similar, or these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/NOCO-Battery-Treatment-Kit/16213366
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #12

Pour Coke-A-Cola over the connectors to clean the corrosion off of them.
Replace connectors as needed.
Either:
Apply wheel bearing grease over the connectors or
Go down to Walmart automotive section (or auto supply) and purchase the spray on battery connector protectant (runs about $3).

The protective coating is used to prevent corrosive action however, the question becomes is it from humidity/road spray or is it because of excessive battery gassing? Once you have re-established a good connection, you will most likely have to recharge the batteries. Was that 12.92VDC value with generator, shore power AND engine OFF? You want to know battery at rest voltage either after the battery has set for a few hours after charging or you bleed off the surface charge . Normal 100% state of charge (SOC) is around 12.65VDC (@ 80 degrees F) at rest after the surface charge has bleed off.

Once battery condition is known, then you can check charging circuits to make sure they are not to high resulting in battery gassing which can cause the early connector failure.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power