Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2009, 03:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
no antenna signal to bedroom tv

I need help again. Front tv gets all kinds of antenna channels with booster turned on. Bedroom hardly gets any and the ones that I do get are very snowy . I have the wineguard switched to antenna for tv 2. did channel search many times. Sattelite works fine on both tvs. Connections seem to be ok sattelite has no trouble getting to the bedroom. So it seems the booster doesnt get to the bedroom tv. any ideas ????

thanks

Steve
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
Are both TVs capable of receiving off air digital TV signals? If so, are they digital TVs or did you install a converter box(s)?

I ask because the OP mentioned the snowy picture. In the digital age, the picture is either there or it isn't there. Except for a few times a picture might pixel-ate for a few moments. The quality is 100% or 0%.

Lastly, has the bedroom TV every gotten a good picture with the current setup?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Obviously not the case with your's but the factory forgot to put a connector to connect the two peices of cable they used to run from one end of the rv to the other--- they were underneath my stove. Must have been done on a friday lol

But if you get the sat back there that is not the prob.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Check the cable and switch box by removing the output to Front TV and connect the Rear TV to this connection. Do you get a signal using the Front TV set to Antenna? If so the cable is good but the switch box is an issue. I doubt you have a bad cable since you do get a good satellite signal. But, if not the cable is the problem and to verify run a coax cable strait from the switch box to the rear TV down the middle of coach. If you now get a signal you will need to replace the connectors on the cable to hopefully get a good signal.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is coax cable, coax cable and coax cable,, plus a few other considerations.

Belden makes at least 5 grades (if not more without checking) of coax cable suitable for use with Televisions,, It is their product list I have the easiest access too.. There are other companies that are quite likely "Less expensive" brands as well.

Now in Belden, if you take the lowest quality RG-59, and compare it to the best RG-6, Well..... The loss factor is over FOUR TIMES as great on the cheap stuff... I will come back to this.

So a cable upgrade will likely improve things.

Next.. the difference in cheap and quality cables is greater at higher frequencies.. True example

At one time I had a DISH 625 Dual DVR in my motor home.. Now I really like the Dish DVR, Wish DirectTV had one as good (They kind of do now.. at least in my rig,, but .. well it's a long story and I set it up)

The DISH has two inputs, and TWO OUTPUTS (Unlike the DirecTV dvr which plays one at a time) The standard out (Chan 3 or 4) and a 2nd one on a UHF channel (you pick, from several, and I mean several)

The DVR was in front.. If I set the bedroom to Chan 3, and watched the same show my wife was watching in the front.. Nice, Sharp, Clear, no snow, no nothing, but picture.

If I choose to watch something else, using say, channel 23 as the "Transport" channel.. I had all sorts of noise on the screen..

The Cheap Coax, is not even fully shielded, in my rig, it could not carry a UHF signal from the DVR to the television without serious loss. And that is a "High power" signal as antenna inputs go.

Now.. MOST, digital television is... UHF (I actually have a chart that tells what stations are on what "Broadcast channel" (Different from the digital channel number in most all cases)

So the losses really add up

Sooner or later I"ll find all my Extend-a-Remote stuff,, Then I'll move my bedroom converter to somewhere up front, giving it a stronger signal.. and when I go back to Sat TV, I'll put the bedroom receiver up there too.. (I can already control that via cable)

Oh, I said Coax, Coax and Coax I've coverd "Good/cheap" cables

The hired kind is CO!AX (That's coax with a nail or staple driven through it.. also not a good thing)

My recommendation: Replace el-cheapo RG-59, with quality RG-6
Old 09-12-2009, 10:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies guys. Yes both tvs are cabable of receiving digital signal infact the bedroom tv picks up one digital channel and one analog channel ( we are in Canada where they still have analog) and the front tv picks up several digital and several analog channels. I am thinking the wineguard button isnt working properly. I will try to switch cables to test it.

thanks again

Steve
Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the button is proper (almost no way for it to fail) but as I said, the cable is clearly a suspect.

If you either have, or can borrow someone's satellite cable, Do a "Temp hookup" (This is where you lay it on the floor) pull the winegard box (access the rear) and if it's the wall plate kind, with the cables running down the 3rd cable should be "Rear TV" (or Other TV), while tuned to an analog channel, mute on, disconnect this cable (TV should loose signal) and hook up the RG-6 sat cable, now hook the other end of the sat cable to the TV and scan for channels.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hey you forgot to tell me that the bedroom tv was not tv 2. I put tv 3 to antenna and problem solved. oooooops...

thanks guys

Steve
Old 09-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Come on Steve I told you so. Ha ha
EJVO is offline   Reply With Quote