Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #1

I have an 03 Fleetwood Southwind 36E (Workhorse). A few days ago I moved it about 25 feet and set the jacks. At the end of jacking it up or shortly thereafter, the Aux power circuit went out. No dash lights, no radio, no fans, and no ignition. I've tested all the fuses in the power distribution box and under the dash. A 3 amp fuse (aux) in the distribution panel was blown but has been replaced. All the batteries are good and fully charged. I've tested all the wiring I can find that runs directly from either set of batteries and get 12 volts everywhere. The battery switches are in the correct position.

Two calls to Fleetwood lead to some fairly simple trouble shooting and the suggestion I take it in for service. They just didn't seem to understand that an RV with its slides out and on its jacks doesn't tow very well. The local dealer could get it in 5 weeks if I could tow it in and gave me the name of a mobile RV serviceman. When I called him, and the 5 others I found in the phone book, each said they only work on the house and knew nothing about the chassis. I called Ford (Workhorse) twice. The first woman lead me through several troubleshooting procedures and gave me a list to try on my own and call back. When I called back, I was given the name of another technician who has yet to answer the phone.

I'm in Palm Harbor, Florida (just north of Clearwater), if anyone has a clue whats wrong or a name I can call, I would greatly appreciate it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #2

I have an 03 Fleetwood Southwind 36E (Workhorse). A few days ago I moved it about 25 feet and set the jacks. At the end of jacking it up or shortly thereafter, the Aux power circuit went out. No dash lights, no radio, no fans, and no ignition. I've tested all the fuses in the power distribution box and under the dash. A 3 amp fuse (aux) in the distribution panel was blown but has been replaced. All the batteries are good and fully charged. I've tested all the wiring I can find that runs directly from either set of batteries and get 12 volts everywhere. The battery switches are in the correct position.

Two calls to Fleetwood lead to some fairly simple trouble shooting and the suggestion I take it in for service. They just didn't seem to understand that an RV with its slides out and on its jacks doesn't tow very well. The local dealer could get it in 5 weeks if I could tow it in and gave me the name of a mobile RV serviceman. When I called him, and the 5 others I found in the phone book, each said they only work on the house and knew nothing about the chassis. I called Ford (Workhorse) twice. The first woman lead me through several troubleshooting procedures and gave me a list to try on my own and call back. When I called back, I was given the name of another technician who has yet to answer the phone.

I'm in Palm Harbor, Florida (just north of Clearwater), if anyone has a clue whats wrong or a name I can call, I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #3

Ric,

I use the Capital Service Center in Palm Harbor when I can't do it myself. Ask for Mike and he will either come by himself or recommend a mobile RV Service technician that they work with. They have always treated me very well.

Check out: http://www.capitalrvsales.com/CSCISvcRVS.asp

Capital Service Center
1015 Illinois Ave. (at Alt 19)
Palm Harbor, FL 34683
Phone: (727) 772-8833

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #4

Thanks Neil......will go by there tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ric, welcome to IRV2
To bad its not without a problem. In your main coach fuse box for chassis which would have 30,40,50,60 amp fuses. This would be on the fire wall of coach under hood. I had a 40 amp blown when I had a problem with my ignition cable and white smoke came up out of the steering post. What caused it was when you move steering wheel up or down to adjust, the wiring harness chafes on the metal bend at top of steering post. A WIRE SHORTED TO THIS METAL BEND and blew the 40 amp fuse and I was dead in the water. Had to be towed to Chev garage for fix.
After the replacement of ignition wiring harness I placed a wiring wrap around wires going over this bend, also filed metal burr off.
You should call the Workhorse hotline so they have a record of problem and can advise you as to what you can do. I had 5000 miles when it happened now 15,000 so far so good.
There are screws holding plastic cover to steering post, if removed you will see harness and bend. If you can remove cover drop steering wheel down to place slack in wiring and you can check wiring and repair. The wiring plugs into another plug on steering post so you can unplug and check wiring. You may find the problem and fix, than find fuse and you will be all set. JUST REMBER place something around wiring harness that goes over that bend. The wires might be tight but the wires will strech as you use steering wheel. Let me know how your making out and we can go from there. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I called Ford (Workhorse) twice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely you did not call Ford??? They are the competitor of Workhorse!

Some further thoughts...

There is usually a circuit breaker or two in the house power controller, the circuit board that manages the relays that control 12V power sources, charging, etc. Sometimes it is just a tiny button tucked along the edge or in the middle of the board somewhere. Fleetwood should know where to look.

The slides can be manually retracted - there should be a procedure in the owner manual. If not, ask Fleetwood. It isn't necessarily easy, but if you need to get it to a service center...

The jacks should automatically retract if you put the transmission in gear with the parking/emergency brake off. I would think this would work even without 12V power, but never tried it. You probably have Power Gear jacks - call Power Gear and ask how to get them up with no power. Or maybe a way to temporarily get power to them to retract so you can get towed.
Power Gear
1217 East 7th Street
Mishawaka, IN 46544
Phone: 574-254-5265
Fax: 574-254-5289

The lack of ignition power suggests something more than an Aux power fuse. Maybe one of the main fusible links in the engine compartment? Or maybe the ignition switch itself? Have you checked power to and through the switch?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote