Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #1

Problem with brakes & steering on Workhorse
I lost both the steering & brakes on my Holiday Rambler with workhorse chasis it only has about 13000 miles on it.The power steering pump went out which causes you to loose the brakes since it's a hydroboost system.Anybody else out there had this problem?
Barry60

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #2

Problem with brakes & steering on Workhorse
I lost both the steering & brakes on my Holiday Rambler with workhorse chasis it only has about 13000 miles on it.The power steering pump went out which causes you to loose the brakes since it's a hydroboost system.Anybody else out there had this problem?
Barry60

Old 12-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BARRY60: Please help us help you-by putting some rig specific info into the signature box in your profile. That way you won't have to type it in and we can better answer your questions.

Until then, what chassis do you have? ED
Old 12-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #4

I have a W18 chass.It's a 05 Admiral
Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Barry go to "find" and type in "power steering" over 400 posts to help you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a W18 chass.It's a 05 Admiral </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry but I'm not qualified to address the W-18 brakes. DriVer can probably help when he gets out of chatroom later, so I'll link this the Workhorse forum so he will see it right away. ED
Old 12-14-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barry60:
I lost both the steering & brakes on my Holiday Rambler with workhorse chassis it only has about 13000 miles on it.The power steering pump went out which causes you to loose the brakes since it's a hydro boost system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Barry60, In the event of a system failure such as you've described, stepping on the brake in such an instance should have activated an emergency electric motor which should provide adequate pressure to both steer and stop your motorhome.

When you step on the brake with the key off you should be able to hear low growl under your feet, that's the electric motor. I would certainly want to make sure that the backup system is working as well as the primary system once you get back on the road.

You certainly can't stop an 18,000 pound motorhome when it doesn't have brakes or steering! We're glad that you're safe. Please let us know how your service call went and how the problem was resolved.

Thank you for joining us here on iRV2 and we hope to see you often.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 PM   #8

Can any one out there tell us if there is much difference between Workhorse and or Ford Chasis
on 2006 models
Old 02-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Isabel Clayton: There are MANY differences between Workhorse and Ford. Some relatively minor, and some are pretty significant. To keep the answer to something short enough to be meaningful, could you please be a little more specific as to which chassis you want to compare? ED
Old 02-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Isabel Clayton:
Can any one out there tell us if there is much difference between Workhorse and or Ford Chasis
on 2006 models </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

About $4,500
Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And that $4500.00 will buy you about 400# less CCC.

Glenn
Old 02-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn and Kathy:
And that $4500.00 will buy you about 400# less CCC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glenn, and 4 channel disk brakes, 6 speed Allison transmission and a real RV engine! When you pack more steel in your rail than your competitor you deliver to the owner a more substantial frame. The strongest house is only as good as its foundation. Be it as it may the W24/W25.5 will suffer no such loss in CCC and it has the same rail as the W20/W22.

The competitive chassis would not be able to sustain the same loads that are imposed on the Workhorse so the 400 lbs less in CCC for me is just a number. Speaking of numbers 50,000 psi steel is a number that the other gas chassis can not duplicate. One really big number that the competitive chassis does have to worry about is 20 billion.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So Driver,
your telling me that all those Ford chassis out there are collapsing under the weight!! Oh right move up to the W24 or 25 to match the CCC. How much will that cost?

Glenn
Old 02-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn and Kathy:
your telling me that all those Ford chassis out there are collapsing under the weight!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glenn, How do you read that into my post? I stand by my statement that a Workhorse weighs 400 pounds more "maybe" however the return is the more robust frame, a 6 speed Allison transmission and a medium duty truck motor.

A Workhorse in a W20 or W22 GVW rating is worth the extra money for the chassis because in the long run it is the superior product that we expect it to be.

You can immediately see the new technology that is going into this chassis. New improved cool pack, 6 speed transmission, option touch pad shifting, HPB braking system and soon the WISE electrical system. The UFO is sharing some of its technology with its front engine family members.

On the other hand the other camp reports that for 2007, they have a nice new steering wheel.