Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #1

I have a 2001 34' Allegro with 22,000 miles, workhorse chassis, 8.1 vortex engine. I came home from a 600 mile trip with no problems. I parked the motorhome in my driveway and a few hours later, I tried to start the motorhome up. When turning the key on, it would not crank. I noticed when turning the key to the on position, the gauges were also inoperable. I also noticed that the back-up camera would work with the key in the off position which it never did before. On the trip, I noticed that when the jacks were down and the key was out of the ignition, that the jack alarm would stay on (with the key out). I checked the batteries and grounds and all fuses and relays. Everything checks out. The main power wire to the starter has power. The 15 power wire from the ignition switch to the starter does not get power when cranking. Checked the yellow wire on the steering column. When ignition switch is in the cranking position, it gets power. The orange and red wire have power.

<sub>Edit: Removed duplicate sentence.</sub>

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2005, 07:16 PM   #2

I have a 2001 34' Allegro with 22,000 miles, workhorse chassis, 8.1 vortex engine. I came home from a 600 mile trip with no problems. I parked the motorhome in my driveway and a few hours later, I tried to start the motorhome up. When turning the key on, it would not crank. I noticed when turning the key to the on position, the gauges were also inoperable. I also noticed that the back-up camera would work with the key in the off position which it never did before. On the trip, I noticed that when the jacks were down and the key was out of the ignition, that the jack alarm would stay on (with the key out). I checked the batteries and grounds and all fuses and relays. Everything checks out. The main power wire to the starter has power. The 15 power wire from the ignition switch to the starter does not get power when cranking. Checked the yellow wire on the steering column. When ignition switch is in the cranking position, it gets power. The orange and red wire have power.

<sub>Edit: Removed duplicate sentence.</sub>

Old 11-07-2005, 12:29 AM   #3

Sounds like a bad KEY Switch.I had one act up on a car years ago same weird things happend.And by the way mine was burnt on the back but no smoke just fry marks.John
Old 11-07-2005, 07:10 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ignition switch, make sure you get updated one.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine does weird electrical things too. The latest was the heater fan continuing to run for about 20 seconds after I turned the key off. It never did that before and now I can't make it do it again. It's a Damon but we call it the haunted demon, but most or all the electrical problems have been with the chassis
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:48 PM   #6

Jeff:
What do you mean by "updated one"? Is mine not updated?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, if you have a P chassis, they modified the switch by adding a relay. Sorry, I didn't notice the W22...but they have shorted too. Look for other posts, try 'ignition switch'. Having a tilt wheel somehow makes the switch short out.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you move the steering wheel up and down the ignition cable will chaf across the metal bend on the top of steering post. If you take housing off steering column you will see cable I'am talking about. The cable plugs into another cable on post unplug and check wiring for bare wires tape and place a wire sleeve around wires going over bend. I had a white wire completely bare after it shorted to metal bend causing smoke up thru steering post. Couldn't start had to be towed to Chev dealer for fix. This happened at 3500 miles. Been working fine last 10,000. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"007", is this a common problem or a seldom happening? Would it be advantages to carry an extra ignation switch? What do you think? I do carry tools of which I could pull the wheel if I had to. Can't see making this a regular check though.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The people ahead of us were having odd problems with there ignition switch which controls many different ckts. I wanted to point out it may not be the switch but anyone of the wires in cable for switch, shorting out over the bend at the top of steering post.
My problem was the white wire over post shorting, blowing 30 amp fuse and causing a smokey situation. The cable harness was replaced and tech replaced switch because some people during the 03 yr were having trouble removing key from switch, which I was not experiencing.
To prevent any more wire problems I placed a spaghetti wrap around wires over bend. You don't have to do it but be aware this bend could cause a problem especially if there is a burr on the bend. The wires will stretch enough as you move steering wheel up an down, with wrap, so that won't pose a problem. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK, so that sounds easy enought just to go ahead and do it just to prevent any future problem. I'm convinced. thanks

Bob

YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote