Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #1

no generator power to RV/ tranfer switch?

I have an RV with a PowerMax PTMS-50 Automatic Transfer switch. The RV electrical system works fine when connected to shore power. However, when running the generator the RV has no power. I checked the power running to the transfer switch from the generator with a volt meter and it was 120, but I couldn't get a reading for power coming out of the switch to the motorhome. The transfer switch would just make a "buzzing noise".
I replaced the transfer switch with the same make/model and I have the same problem. Generator runs, appears to supply power to the transfer switch, the transfer switch buzzes, but no power in the motorhome.
Thoughts?
hsbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

Generator wiring in ATS......
Are the L1 and L2 terminals 'jumper used'

Are you measuring BOTH L1 & L2 voltage?

Generator only a 30A vs 50A?

2 yr warranty!

Have had bad ATS right out of box----reason I do not have a ATS---mine is MANUAL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm assuming you have disconnected shorepower when you are doing this test. And for the sake of this test you should turn off high current demand devices (like A/C's, hotwater heater, converter, etc).

I speculate that your generator has a problem, and although is showing 120vac, that's under a no-load situation. Could be when a load is put on it, the voltage drops.

I normally would have thought your transfer switch was bad, but you swapped that and still have the same symptom.

So given this situation, what I would do to prove the problem, is to unhook the generator from the switch, and wire in a 20amp cable that I would build to plug into home garage socket. [Make sure you get polarities correct (black power, white neutral, green/bare ground}]
- If you still have the same problem, then you've proved the 2nd transfer switch is also bad, and I would choose a different mfgs switch.
- If the switch works, then that proves the problem is with your generator, and you begin trouble shooting that.

Good luck
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:52 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
More information about MH and generator would be nice also.
Go to the generator and shut off all of the breakers on it then turn them back on. Now start the generator and see what happens.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #5

Did you possibly trip the breaker on the generator?
BeachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Did you possibly trip the breaker on the generator?
He indicated he was getting 120 out of the generator.

Quote:
I checked the power running to the transfer switch from the generator with a volt meter and it was 120
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power, switch